Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Every time I turn on to MLB Network and they're discussing trades all I hear is how Cease is an "ace" and "one of the best in the game" or something similar. 

Of course that stuff is going to have an impact. Getz cares about his job and I'm sure he cares about his image and making a good first impression as well, as this is his first offseason with the club. GMs are not immune to pressure even if they aren't consciously aware of it. 

Thanks.  I rarely watch MLB Network so I was unaware of their fawning over Cease.  

I still say it’s the job of a GM to do what is best for the club and let the public know why he thinks it’s best, and not do stupid things because that’s what the public wants.  In my opinion that’s what Elias has done consistently.  

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/12/with-chris-sale-traded-whats-next-for-red-sox-more-subtraction-possibly.html?utm_campaign=masslivesports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Red Sox not interested in trading for Cease?  Don’t want to trade their top 3 prospects?

If that is true, it’s really hard to see what top 40ish guys they will get.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/12/with-chris-sale-traded-whats-next-for-red-sox-more-subtraction-possibly.html?utm_campaign=masslivesports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Red Sox not interested in trading for Cease?  Don’t want to trade their top 3 prospects?

If that is true, it’s really hard to see what top 40ish guys they will get.

White Sox simply aren’t going to get the return they’re after. They screwed up by not trading Cease at the deadline last year. 

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Joey Ortiz is the best thing they can get.

They can f off and cry more.

They will get a feature piece better than Ortiz IMO.  Saying that, I think they seriously underestimate what Ortiz would do for them. Tim Anderson in his years with the White Sox was -53 Rtot, -32 Rdrs, -31.6 UZR.   OAA doesn’t hate him but having watched him over the years, he’s a careless and inconsistent shortstop and Ortiz would be a huge upgrade IMO.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They will get a feature piece better than Ortiz IMO.  Saying that, I think they seriously underestimate what Ortiz would do for them. Tim Anderson in his years with the White Sox was -53 Rtot, -32 Rdrs, -31.6 UZR.   OAA doesn’t hate him but having watched him over the years, he’s a careless and inconsistent shortstop and Ortiz would be a huge upgrade IMO.  

They'll get something in Ortiz' range, but they won't get a guy who is just a clear cut level above, unless we give it to them with Cowser or Kjerstad.

We on this board have spent weeks negotiating against ourselves.

Let them go play with their 19 year old A ball pitchers and see how that works out for them.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Any GM that factors in the fan base thoughts of his/her move is literally subjugating his decision to people who have less information. If the move doesn’t work and fans hate it…that is different. 

The Boston Bruins did this exact thing with Mitchell Miller. fans complained, they voided the contract.

I really like Cease, and i believe he would be terrific in O's rotation. But , my guess is we end up with one of the Mariners pitchers. Reason being, more control, and the Mariners will not HAVE to have one of the O's pitching prospects. And trader Jerry is well, trader Jerry... jmo

3 minutes ago, joe42 said:

I really like Cease, and i believe he would be terrific in O's rotation. But , my guess is we end up with one of the Mariners pitchers. Reason being, more control, and the Mariners will not HAVE to have one of the O's pitching prospects. And trader Jerry is well, trader Jerry... jmo

There has been some recent reporting that the M's may need to cut payroll and therefore Castillo might actually be the SP that they end up shopping, and there is no way JA agrees to take on his remaining 4 year, ~$90 million guarantee and $25 million dollar vesting option.

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

There has been some recent reporting that the M's may need to cut payroll and therefore Castillo might actually be the SP that they end up shopping, and there is no way JA agrees to take on his remaining 4 year, ~$90 million guarantee and $25 million dollar vesting option.

My thinking is Woo or Miller. No way will it be Castillo.