Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

24 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

lol, I never said that.  I think all of the packages that have been floated include two prospects and a pitcher to replace Cease innings.

Cowser + Westburg/Ortiz /Norby + Irvin

Something like this would be my final offer.  I hope that Elias is putting together or already has decided what the most he will give up for Cease and give the WS a take or leave offer w/ a few days to decide.  No reason to put the O's whole offseason on hold and lose out in late January when all the alternatives are signed.

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In Roch’s latest column, he talks about how a scout said they need a pitcher back and that the scout thinks the WS would want Westburg.

In trading Westburg before I deal Cowser but I’m not sure we have the pitcher they would want unless they want Kremer.

The '24 White Sox could probably afford to let McDermott, ~25.7 years of age by Opening Day, take his turns and get to build skills in MLB.    It might be iffy if they regard him valuable enough a 2nd piece.

I think Kremer and Irvin are pretty well situated on a team like the '24 Orioles, where they are sufficient to be back end starters who are doubtful for playoff rosters.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

IMO, the Rays are looking to get that 25M off the books.  Taking back someone like Santander kind of defeats the whole purpose.  Lots of reasons why the Orioles and Rays aren’t a good match on this.

Fair point.

I was thinking that even if they take Santander back, they are still saving around $11M, and I can't imagine JA wanting to take on $25M without unloading salary, even if it's just for one year.  End of the day, the teams probably do not match up for a deal. 

41 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If they are rebuilding I think they would prefer the value in the form of prospects not the quality of innings they get to replace Cease. 

If prospects status plus pitcher is a deciding factor then the Dodgers have the advantage.  Miller, Stone and Pepiot are all a lot more attractive than Irvin.  Which is not to say Irvin has no value, two legit O's prospects and Irvin would be a solid offer.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who knows what to believe.  Hard to believe the WS are ok with Cowser and Norby but Elias said no.  Then you see something that says the O’s don’t want to include Kjerstad.  We’ll never know unless the deal actually happens.

Even then we might never know if the Os don’t get him 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

That’s what I meant.  We’ll only know what the Orioles we’re willing to give up if they get Cease.

Didn’t know where to stick this. Meleski’s blog today.  High praise from Dan O’Dowd which surprised me a bit because he seems negative towards the Orioles on the mlb draft coverage.

“The depth of their talent in this organization is better than any talent we’ve see in the game in a long time. It really is. When you start looking at Triple-A club, their Double-A club, Delmarva, when you start going down their system, they’ve got good players. The issue they are going to have – in the game of rankings now we’re in – some of their mid-tier guys could be other organizations’ top-tier guys. So, in trade talks they all want their top-tier guys, and the reality is their mid-to-bottom tier guys in their top 30 might be better than a lot of organization’s top 10. So that is going to be hard for them – they don’t want to trade I’m sure their impactful kids.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-mike-elias-on-weighing-trade-possibilities-and-mlb-network-s-dan-o-dowd-on-the-orioles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Fair point.

I was thinking that even if they take Santander back, they are still saving around $11M, and I can't imagine JA wanting to take on $25M without unloading salary, even if it's just for one year.  End of the day, the teams probably do not match up for a deal. 

Well they’ve unloaded Frazier and Gibson. 

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Didn’t know where to stick this. Meleski’s blog today.  High praise from Dan O’Dowd which surprised me a bit because he seems negative towards the Orioles on the mlb draft coverage.

“The depth of their talent in this organization is better than any talent we’ve see in the game in a long time. It really is. When you start looking at Triple-A club, their Double-A club, Delmarva, when you start going down their system, they’ve got good players. The issue they are going to have – in the game of rankings now we’re in – some of their mid-tier guys could be other organizations’ top-tier guys. So, in trade talks they all want their top-tier guys, and the reality is their mid-to-bottom tier guys in their top 30 might be better than a lot of organization’s top 10. So that is going to be hard for them – they don’t want to trade I’m sure their impactful kids.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-mike-elias-on-weighing-trade-possibilities-and-mlb-network-s-dan-o-dowd-on-the-orioles

It's nice to see this posted by someone outside of this message board. It would be awesome to see teams come to the Orioles for the Norby/McDermott/Beavers tier of prospects to be key parts of any deals, I just don't think it's realistic.

It is hard for us fans to know anything until these deals are done though. We're almost acting certain that Cowser/Ortiz is the appropriate price for Cease, while the White Sox may be rejecting that deal or they may not get anything close to that offer from any other teams. I think I remember the initial reports of the Machado deal had Diaz, Gavin Lux and Dustin May all coming back to the O's and a lot of fans thought it was both legitimate and appropriate, and it turned out to be completely baseless. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

This is what I've been saying! I think in varying ways having the top farm system is actually making it harder for us to make trades.