Who are the 2023 Orioles #1 and #2 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the 2023 Orioles #1 and #2 prospects?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the 2023 Orioles #1 and #2 prospects?

• Basallo and Holliday
    • Holliday and Basallo

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has to be a tough one for you.  You tend to downgrade both Catchers and Second Basemen.

Holliday isn’t a second baseman and I don’t downgrade catchers as much as I think their defensive role is diminished compared to what it used to be, although the new rules with the bases may end up changing that.

But if you are an elite bat at catcher(and not elite for a catcher but just elite) and you can defend, that’s pretty damn valuable. I wouldn’t take that over an elite bat at SS who can field but that doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s valuable.

Just for comparison's sake, MLB.com today has it:

Holliday-Cowser-Kjerstad-Mayo-Basallo

Baseball Prospectus already published their '24 offseason Orioles report - they have it:

Holliday-Basallo-Mayo-Kjerstad-Cowser

That's probably the same as Tony, barring that possible surprise.     Basallo is 9 months younger than Holliday.

The "average" date of birth for the non-college group - Gunnar, Mayo, Basallo, Holliday - is 12.29.2002, an easy round off to 1.1.2003.     Collectively, 2027 will basically be their Age 24 season.     I think the arrow on the teams through Adley's free agency is steadily up for figuring when this group peaks, with a wildcard of how Grayson Rodriguez's arm holds together.

Edited by Just Regular

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I could build a case for both honestly.

What I’m most interested in with Basallo are the evaluations of his defense at C.   Not only can he stick there, but can he actually be good there?   If the answer to that is yes then his argument to be considered along with Holliday becomes much stronger.