O's Hire Braves Bullpen Coach Drew French As Pitching Coach

ThisIsBirdland

There's an Astro's connection too.  If Holt is a Sig-nerd, then is French the human intervention needed for the players?  

‘Information is only as good as what you can put into action’: A conversation with Braves bullpen coach Drew French - The Athletic

Now, I guess the feedback loop can be a little bit tighter to the player, and we can adjust and target these things and strategize these things a little bit quicker than we have in the past.

Interesting quote about Verlander, getting vet buy-in, and developing international pitchers.

The reason I bring him up, he’s the guy who a lot of people point to as getting his career back on track after going from Detroit to Houston, when a lot of us thought he was just about done as an elite pitcher. Is he a guy you kind of point to and go, here’s what we can do to help a guy?

Yeah. I think if you look at any of those big-name acquisitions, you want to get those guys, like JV and Gerrit Cole, in a room and you want to enlighten them. And you want to talk to them about their strengths and the way they’ve used their stuff in their career and the reasons why they might want to make an adjustment or a change. Because the guys at the top of their game, at the pinnacle, are going to be slightly resistant to some of that stuff unless you provide them kind of the what, why and how.

Those guys (Verlander and Cole) are, I guess, two kind of benchmark guys. But you can see from probably 2015 on, just looking at the farm system and how much success that we had over there developing guys that we signed internationally. So from a pitching standpoint, the program was ever-evolving, but they gave us the tools to do our jobs really, really well, and really, really efficiently.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ultimately it’s the talent that matters. Leo Mazzone didn’t look so hot with the Orioles when Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz weren’t around. 

If Drew French works well with the other coaches and the analytics team, I expect he’ll be a decent addition.

image.jpeg.6984eb9a979d6110ec39bab78a8071e1.jpeg

The difference between that era of Orioles baseball and the current era is just wild to think about sometimes. Unfathomable dysfunction for so many years.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm a little concerned about continuity.   Holt will be there in ST.   But when the season begins he will not be with the team everyday and Holmes is gone.   I am interested to see if Justin Ramsey is promoted to assistant pitching coach.

Well if Holty was a wizard, Frenchy could be a sorcerer?