The 26 man roster as of today

RZNJ

11 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

With all this talk about the outfield, let's take a look at who's currently in the organization that can play Major League Center Field, shall we?

1. Cedric Mullins

2.Austin Hays

3.Ryan McKenna

4.Colton Cowser (not really a true center fielder though. If we're relying on him there, I wouldn't feel comfortable about the defense.)

5. Jorge Mateo (see same comment about Colton Cowser.)

Beyond that, it goes into minor leaguers who I haven't been evaluated at Centerfield enough. We all know Bradfield will be good, but how long we will have to wait for him to gain Pro experience + fulfill his expected potential is the other issue.

Sam Hilliard has 780 career innings in CF and looks to be ML average out there according to Fangraphs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/sam-hilliard/17954/stats?position=OF

21 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

With all this talk about the outfield, let's take a look at who's currently in the organization that can play Major League Center Field, shall we?

1. Cedric Mullins

2.Austin Hays

3.Ryan McKenna

4.Colton Cowser (not really a true center fielder though. If we're relying on him there, I wouldn't feel comfortable about the defense.)

5. Jorge Mateo (see same comment about Colton Cowser.)

Beyond that, it goes into minor leaguers who I haven't been evaluated at Centerfield enough. We all know Bradfield will be good, but how long we will have to wait for him to gain Pro experience + fulfill his expected potential is the other issue.

It's just odd that Mateo only seems to be above average at SS.  A lot of players have switched between SS and CF and vice versa.  I know Jones was one.  If Mateo is smart, he will be working a lot on his defensive flexibility in the offseason.  It seems his best path forward is as a super utility guy who could play several positions.  It doesn't pay like starting shortstop maybe, but I think most of us could get by on say $5 million/year.

Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I wouldn't mind seeing Shayne Fontana get an invite to ST. In 190 AAA AB's last year he had a .382 OBP (.798 OPS) and swiped 12 bags. He's 26 years old... let him compete. He is another lefty though, so that doesn't help him in this circumstance too much.

46 minutes ago, Orange said:

Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I wouldn't mind seeing Shayne Fontana get an invite to ST. In 190 AAA AB's last year he had a .382 OBP (.798 OPS) and swiped 12 bags. He's 26 years old... let him compete. He is another lefty though, so that doesn't help him in this circumstance too much.

You are