Position Player Depth Chart for 2024 (Updated post Burnes trade)

Greg Pappas

On 1/13/2024 at 4:21 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Based on @Tony-OH's Top Prospect List reports, as well as our current Major League roster, I've laid out our possible positional depth chart for the coming season.  

After reading through the prospect reports, certain guys don't seem as a fit for defensive positions that I'd come to believe, so the depth chart should be revamped with that in mind.  Examples of this are Kjerstad below average in RF and more of a 1B/DH, Holliday better suited at 2B than SS, Norby below average at 2B and looking like a LF/DH, and Mayo still an option at 3B but perhaps better served in RF than 1B (though I did keep him in the 1B depth chart in case). 

Key: *=Lefty bat, #=Switch-hitter, and ages as of opening day are in parentheses

1B: Mountcastle (27.1), *O'Hearn (30.7), #Santander (29.4), *Kjerstad (25.1), Mayo (22.3) AAA

2B: Westburg (25.1), Ortiz (25.7), Urias (29.8), *Holliday (20.3) AAA

SS: *Henderson (22.7), Ortiz (25.7), Mateo (28.8), Westburg (25.1) 

3B: *Henderson (22.7), Westburg (25.1), Urias (29.8), Mayo (22.3) AAA

CA: #Rutschman (26.1), McCann (33.8), *Michael Perez (31.7) AAA, David Bañuelos (27.5) AAA, Maverick Handley (26.0) AAA

LF: Hays (28.7), *Cowser (24.0), *Hilliard (30.1), McKenna (27.1), *Stowers (26.2) AAA, Norby (23.8) AAA

CF: *Mullins (29.5), *Cowser (24.0), McKenna (27.1), Mateo (28.8), *Hilliard (30.1)

RF: #Santander (29.4), *O'Hearn (30.7), *Cowser (24.0), *Kjerstad (25.1), *Stowers (26.2) AAA, Mayo (22.3) AAA

DH: *Kjerstad (25.1), #Santander (29.4), #Rutschman (26.1), Mountcastle (27.1), *O'Hearn (30.7), *Hilliard (30.1), Norby (23.8) AAA

Notes:

• I recognize that I have Gunnar starting at SS and 3B, but that's because I can't put Ortiz above him at SS until the O's show that as a strong possibility this Spring. 
  • Anyone can DH, but those are the guys that have done it and/or may be destined for AB's there in the future.
  • Players like Samuel Basallo are not listed because I don't believe we'll see them in 2024.

I tried to be thorough, but may have missed something or someone. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Few comments:

Holliday is a SS and should be included in the SS depth. Probably ahead of Urias.   With the SS depth I doubt we see Westburg playing much SS.

Ortiz can play 3B.  

Kjerstad can play LF if the O's are away.

O'Hearn range in right is poor.  I think Cowser is ahead of him and maybe  even Kjerstad.

2023 DH OPS:  O'Hearn 937, Mountcastle 900, Adley 874, Kjerstad 776, Santander 690 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Few comments:

Holliday is a SS and should be included in the SS depth. Probably ahead of Urias.   With the SS depth I doubt we see Westburg playing much SS.

Ortiz can play 3B.  

Kjerstad can play LF if the O's are away.

O'Hearn range in right is poor.  I think Cowser is ahead of him and maybe  even Kjerstad.

2023 DH OPS:  O'Hearn 937, Mountcastle 900, Adley 874, Kjerstad 776, Santander 690 

It's fair to say Holliday should be added to the SS group, though Urias is not listed at short. Agreed that Westburg will rarely see SS, but I listed him as he has and can play there in a pinch.  Ortiz can play 3B, so I'll add him there also.  Kjerstad on the road in LF is possible as well.  Thanks for posting this.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Deep depth. Much respect for being realistic. 

I think Hilliard should be higher, but we’ll see what happens. It’s not a big deal anyways. 

Aaron Hicks could be in the mix. Bring back the OH’s lovable vet. 

Thanks.  Hilliard was, IMHO, a depth signing, and one I'd be surprised to find on our roster Opening Day.  He's about to turn 30, and has had 717 PA's over a 5-year career.  His outfield defense is hard to judge for me, but seems modest, as has been his hitting, as he's sported a career 84 OPS+.   

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

1st glance, I think Urias is above Ortiz at 2nd base on the depth chart as things stand currently.

Even if that were true and I am not sure it is, Urias will make 2.1M and Ortiz makes 740K to do the same job.    I am not sure at all the Urias makes it to opening day unless Ortiz is included into a trade for a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Even if that were true and I am not sure it is, Urias will make 2.1M and Ortiz makes 740K to do the same job.    I am not sure at all the Urias makes it to opening day unless Ortiz is included into a trade for a pitcher.

You and I don't make the depth chart. Brandon Hyde does. And last year Hyde had Urias playing a significant amount of 2nd base for a team that already had a 2nd basemen.

Based on @Tony-OH's Top Prospect List reports, as well as our current Major League roster, I've laid out our possible positional depth chart for the coming season.  

After reading through the prospect reports, certain guys don't seem as a fit for defensive positions that I'd come to believe, so the depth chart should be revamped with that in mind.  Examples of this are Kjerstad below average in RF and more of a 1B/DH, Holliday better suited at 2B than SS, Norby below average at 2B and looking like a LF/DH, and Mayo still an option at 3B but perhaps better served in RF than 1B (though I did keep him in the 1B depth chart in case). 

Key: *=Lefty bat, #=Switch-hitter, and ages as of opening day are in parentheses

1B: Mountcastle (27.1), *O'Hearn (30.7), #Santander (29.4), *Kjerstad (25.1), Mayo (22.3) AAA

SS: *Henderson (22.7), Ortiz (25.7), Mateo (28.8), Westburg (25.1), *Holliday (20.3) AAA 

3B: *Henderson (22.7), Westburg (25.1), Urias (29.8), Ortiz (25.7), Mayo (22.3) AAA

CA: #Rutschman (26.1), McCann (33.8), *Michael Perez (31.7) AAA, David Bañuelos (27.5) AAA, Maverick Handley (26.0) AAA

LF: Hays (28.7), *Cowser (24.0), *Kjerstad (25.1), *Hilliard (30.1), McKenna (27.1), *Stowers (26.2) AAA, Norby (23.8) AAA

CF: *Mullins (29.5), *Cowser (24.0), McKenna (27.1), Mateo (28.8), *Hilliard (30.1)

RF: #Santander (29.4), *O'Hearn (30.7), *Cowser (24.0), *Kjerstad (25.1), *Stowers (26.2) AAA, Mayo (22.3) AAA

DH: *Kjerstad (25.1), #Santander (29.4), #Rutschman (26.1), Mountcastle (27.1), *O'Hearn (30.7), *Hilliard (30.1), Norby (23.8) AAA

Notes:

• I recognize that I have Gunnar starting at SS and 3B, but that's because I can't put Ortiz above him at SS until the O's show that as a strong possibility this Spring. 
  • Anyone can DH, but those are the guys that have done it and/or may be destined for AB's there in the future.
  • Players like Samuel Basallo are not listed because I don't believe we'll see them in 2024.

I tried to be thorough, but may have missed something or someone. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Thanks GP! My only observation would be that Ortiz is too high on the depth chart 2B/SS. He seems to be the odd man out with Mateo and Urias still on the roster. 

SS: *Henderson (22.7), Ortiz (25.7), Mateo (28.8), Westburg (25.1), *Holliday (20.3) AAA 

3B: *Henderson (22.7), Westburg (25.1), Urias (29.8), Ortiz (25.7), Mayo (22.3) AAA

LF: Hays (28.7), *Cowser (24.0), *Kjerstad (25.1), *Hilliard (30.1), McKenna (27.1), *Stowers (26.2) AAA, Norby (23.8) AAA

Notes:

Nice Greg …. A couple of thoughts.

Weve discussed Ortiz at SS so I’m not sure why you can’t put him at SS over Gunner. I think those 2 are our best defensive set of any listed. 

Im sure it’s splitting hairs but O’Hearn was used a number of times in RF last season. I expect Hyde to do so again if his bat continues to play like it did in 2023. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Nice Greg …. A couple of thoughts.

Weve discussed Ortiz at SS so I’m not sure why you can’t put him at SS over Gunner. I think those 2 are our best defensive set of any listed. 

Im sure it’s splitting hairs but O’Hearn was used a number of times in RF last season. I expect Hyde to do so again if his bat continues to play like it did in 2023. 

Thank you. I believe Ortiz at SS makes sense, but our RoY played very well there and I could not put Ortiz over him until I see what Hyde does this Spring.
O'Hearn is listed 2nd in RF, behind Santander.

33 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Thanks GP! My only observation would be that Ortiz is too high on the depth chart 2B/SS. He seems to be the odd man out with Mateo and Urias still on the roster. 

Thank you.  The Depth Chart is parts history and speculation, so how it shakes out will reveal itself this Spring.  

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You and I don't make the depth chart. Brandon Hyde does. And last year Hyde had Urias playing a significant amount of 2nd base for a team that already had a 2nd basemen.

Urias had 15 starts at 2B.  That is not a lot of a veteran player.  Not the basis for the future IMO.  I am not questioning Urias glove at 2B.  I question his bat.  703 OPS with not good.   I question that he has no options.   And I question his salary when compared to Ortiz.  He will play next year at 30 years old.

Ortiz entered the 2023 season needing to prove more with the bat at AAA.   He did that during his season at AAA.  He has a 904 OPS at AAA.   Tony calls him the  best SS glove in the O's system.  He can play all three infield skill positions including 2B.  And he is cheap with options.  Ortiz is on the rise while Urias slipped back last year.  Ortiz will play next year at 25.  I am also impressed that the guys over at On the Verge keep talking about how hard Ortiz hits the ball.

When you add that Holliday and Westburg are both on the team sometime next year  I don't know if Urias makes team.  He is fighting with Mateo for a utility spot and Mateo has top on the league speed as a weapon.