Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m skeptical, but at the same time, he’s entering what should be the prime of his career and it’s not like he’s been bad, just overly streaky and unselective.   If he’s the same as ever, that’s still a 114 OPS+ player when the roller coaster stops.  If he’s able to take it up a notch, he could be pretty good.  

Exactly my thoughts.

14 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'll give you credit...you really come up with an idea and run with it. It doesn't matter if it's based in reality or not.

Why don’t you just ask people?  I have. Some people here want an all homegrown position group as much as possible. Or whole team for that matter. It’s not a knock. It just is what it is.  We’re actually pretty close. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We are a little thin at 1B and LHB's. I don't think he is the most expendable player on the roster, although I would not be at all opposed to trading him. 

If he’s replaced by Kjerstad how does that affect the LHB balance?   Santander can play 1B.   

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle came up during Tigers series right before the ASB after getting over vertigo. After that he had an .893 OPS the entire 2nd half. 

You can parse it that way, or you can say he had a 30-game streak of 1.079 OPS from July 24 to August 27, then had a .584 OPS the final 16 games he played. Which sounds like pretty typical Mountcastle.   So, we’ll see about 2024.

Now, I don’t put much stock in Mountcastle’s bad numbers vs. RHP last year.  His career numbers are decent and I see that as a one-season fluke.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In July and August in 100 PA he hit .337 against RHP.

That's a fair point, but I'm a bit skeptical that his 11% walk rate and 20% K rate (it was 11.2% and 21.1% against righties) were realistic sustainable gains for a player who's struggled with both for most of his career. Is it possible he was just hot for two months and now would be the perfect time to sell high? 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I guess he's got righties figured out now.  Only took two months this past season to make me a believer, too.

His lifetime OPS against RHP is currently .742 after a bad 2023.    Believe that.

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's a fair point, but I'm a bit skeptical that his 11% walk rate and 20% K rate (it was 11.2% and 21.1% against righties) were realistic sustainable gains for a player who's struggled with both for most of his career. Is it possible he was just hot for two months and now would be the perfect time to sell high? 

It’s possible that it was just two hot months.  During those two months he also went oppo 38% of the time so it seems like a conscious effort to change but he could revert to his old ways.  I don’t see how now is selling high on Mountcastle.   1B who OPS under .800 two years in a row don’t seem like a hot commodity to me.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If he’s replaced by Kjerstad how does that affect the LHB balance?   Santander can play 1B.   

If we are committed to Kjerstad, we should play him in OF. I am not convinced either Kjerstad or Santander can be simply stuck at 1B, and you still may want a LHB for DH. I don't love O'Hearn or anything but I see the case for keeping him more so than Mateo and Urias, for example. 

Since O'Hearn won't get us anything in return, maybe his role is to be a backup option in case a Santander/Hays/Mountcastle trade materializes. I'm not saying I am opposed to trading O'Hearn, I just don't see him as a "has to go" guy at the top of the list.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

If we are committed to Kjerstad, we should play him in OF. I am not convinced either Kjerstad or Santander can be simply stuck at 1B, and you still may want a LHB for DH. I don't love O'Hearn or anything but I see the case for keeping him more so than Mateo and Urias, for example. 

Since O'Hearn won't get us anything in return, maybe his role is to be a backup option in case a Santander/Hays/Mountcastle trade materializes. I'm not saying I am opposed to trading O'Hearn, I just don't see him as a "has to go" guy at the top of the list.

Santander was “stuck” at 1B and actually looked good there last year.  A perfect way to get Kjerstad time in RF.