Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s always gone oppo a lot.  Not as much as in 2023, but more than most players.  I don’t know why people have the impression that he’s a big pull hitter, because he never has been compared to most.  

His career oppo is 29.3%.   In July and August it was over 38%.  That’s all.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not that deep into the Monkees.  Fun memories from watching the show as a kid, though, but that's about it.

I didn’t like the show.  Too silly for me.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No one said it would happen OD 2024.   

Agreed …they don’t have to do it all at once. But, Ortiz, Norby, and Kjerstad need to be on the roster with playing time if they aren’t dealt. Them what happens if Mayo and Holiday make they team? I suspect they might foot drag. 

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’ll start the year as the regular 1B.  They’ll only platoon him if he struggles like last year.  After he started to hit, he started 27 games in August.  Does that sound like a strict RH platoon bat?

You could be right but for now I disagree that's how they'll start. Hyde loves matchups.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agreed …they don’t have to do it all at once. But, Ortiz, Norby, and Kjerstad need to be on the roster with playing time if they aren’t dealt. Them what happens if Mayo and Holiday make they team? I suspect they might foot drag. 

Good chance Kjerstad and Ortiz make the team if not traded.  I can’t see how Norby can.  Or Cowser unless he beats out Kjerstad.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s always gone oppo a lot.  Not as much as in 2023, but more than most players.  I don’t know why people have the impression that he’s a big pull hitter, because he never has been compared to most.  

In fact I'd even go as far to say his inability to access pull-side power limits his game.

One of my basic a-has during 2023 beginning to understand Mountcastle's perpetual actual wOBA lagging xwOBA was when Hyde talked about aiming and learning that while Barrels are the perfect combination of launch angle and exit velocity, they don't regard direction.     A toothless Barrel to the CF warning track has become for me kind of a signature Mountcastle batted ball since then.

Here's 2023 Bats with SLG and Pull% side-by-side - only Bo Bichette and Luis Arraez (batting average driven) out-slugged Mountcastle with a lower Pull%.    That also helps settle for me the Mountcastle Career Year hitting-wise perhaps looks something like a Bo year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=c%2C4%2C6%2C11%2C12%2C13%2C21%2C-1%2C34%2C35%2C40%2C41%2C-1%2C23%2C37%2C38%2C206%2C50%2C317%2C61%2C-1%2C111%2C-1%2C203%2C199%2C58&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&qual=400&sortcol=15&sortdir=asc&pageitems=30&v_cr=202301&pagenum=1

I'm pulling for him to just lean into acceptance he isn't getting home home runs but to aim for a bunch on the road.    The doubles and RBI's and Arb dollars will still come.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s called depth for a 162 game season. It’s how we would deal with injuries. We potentially have to replace our whole OF next year. Plus we lose O’Hearn. 

I’m not too concerned with us costing Ortiz, and Norby, potential earning power in late arb or on a 2nd contract. I want to win and have the best chance at winning. They’ll get their chance. Just might not be until OD 2025. 

Heck, See Taylor Walls from TB. I don’t see anyone crying about the travesty the Rays are doing by having him in AAA the last few seasons.