Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He has no value. Mountcastle or Santander make far more sense to move.

It’s not about value.  It’s about freeing up a spot for Kjerstad without letting a core player like Santander go.  And Kjerstad is not a 1B.

Also, this is what happens when we don’t talk about Cease. The board slowly starts to want the non home grown players gone. O’Hearn, Urias, Santa, and Mateo. Hilliard and McCann don’t catch too much heat. God forbid if we even hear Aaron Hicks’ name. 

The “homegrowners” have one more year to wait until we might have an all home grown position group. Backup C might be the down fall of that wish. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Frobby said:

What makes you think Mountcastle is primed for his best year?   I mean, it could happen, but do you have a specific reason to think so?

Yes.  Once he lost playing time he finally started being more selective and going to RF even more in the 2nd half.  Great back to back months in July and August.   The shoulder problem in September.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also, this is what happens when we don’t talk about Cease. The board slowly starts to want the non home grown players gone. O’Hearn, Urias, Santa, and Mateo. Hilliard and McCann don’t catch too much heat. God forbid if we even hear Aaron Hicks’ name. 

The “homegrowners” have one more year to wait until we might have an all home grown position group. Backup C might be the down fall of that wish. 

It has nothing to do with Cease.

It’s about getting our younger, more talented players at bats.

This is just a bad way of doing it.

You don’t just cut him. He doesn’t have value, so you can’t really trade him.

Starting July 1, Mountcastle had 25 walks and 43 strikeouts.   Entering his age 27 season, I have to give him one more chance to see if he learned any new tricks or if it was just a Mateo/pumpkin thing.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'll give you credit...you really come up with an idea and run with it. It doesn't matter if it's based in reality or not.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You are a funny guy.

• Haha 1

O’Hearn OPS vs right handers last year was .802

Mountcastles OPS vs left handers last year was 1.052

Mountcastles OPS vs right handers last year was .640

This is why you keep O’Hearn. You either platoon them or you move on from both and find a new 1B.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.  I think Mountcastle is primed for his best year.

I'm very curious what you saw in Mountcastle last season to give you that inclination that he's primed for his best season. He only hit .235 against righties with a .291 OBP and .349 SLG which is pretty abysmal and screams short side of a platoon bat to me. 

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

This is why you keep O’Hearn. You either platoon them or you move on from both and find a new 1B.

Mountcastle is .742 lifetime against RHP.   Dragged down by 2023.  

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm very curious what you saw in Mountcastle last season to give you that inclination that he's primed for his best season. He only hit .235 against righties with a .291 OBP and .349 SLG which is pretty abysmal and screams short side of a platoon bat to me. 

Mountcastle came up during Tigers series right before the ASB after getting over vertigo. After that he had an .893 OPS the entire 2nd half. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Starting July 1, Mountcastle had 25 walks and 43 strikeouts.   Entering his age 27 season, I have to give him one more chance to see if he learned any new tricks or if it was just a Mateo/pumpkin thing.

I’m skeptical, but at the same time, he’s entering what should be the prime of his career and it’s not like he’s been bad, just overly streaky and unselective.   If he’s the same as ever, that’s still a 114 OPS+ player when the roller coaster stops.  If he’s able to take it up a notch, he could be pretty good.  

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

Could Mountcastle not platoon with Kjerstad and/or Santander, as the roster is currently constructed?

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

In July and August in 100 PA he hit .337 against RHP.