Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

1 hour ago, oriole said:

He could. There’s enough room on the roster for a platoon at 1B, Kjerstad and Santander are not 1B, and Mountcastle hits worse than a utility infielder most of the time….leads me to being okay with O’Hearn hanging around. I’m not gonna be upset if they move him, but it makes sense to me as to why he’s on the roster.

I had no idea that utility infielders put up a 115 OPS+

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He has no value. Mountcastle or Santander make far more sense to move.

That would obviously depend on the return on whether it makes sense to move Mountcastle or Santander, but clearly they both have more value. 

If Kjerstad is not moved, then I agree, O'Hearn has no role on this team because Kjerstad should not be back in AAA to start the year.

I made most of my comments in the other thread, but I don't believe he has a ton of value but I'd put him on the block, keep him through spring training, hope a team has an injury and needs a left-handed 1B/DH and then take the best offer.

Even then he's not bringing back much.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That would obviously depend on the return on whether it makes sense to move Mountcastle or Santander, but clearly they both have more value. 

If Kjerstad is not moved, then I agree, O'Hearn has no role on this team because Kjerstad should not be back in AAA to start the year.

I made most of my comments in the other thread, but I don't believe he has a ton of value but I'd put him on the block, keep him through spring training, hope a team has an injury and needs a left-handed 1B/DH and then take the best offer.

Even then he's not bringing back much.

Doesn't need to be much in anyone's eyes but Elias, Sig and Holt.  Perez wasn't much,   Coulombe wasn't much.  Johnson was undergoing TJ surgery.  One persons not much may be a gem to the O's brass.

Edited by wildcard

Joey Gallo hasn't retired, and before camp Jorge Soler, Rhys Hoskins, JD Martinez, Justin Turner, Joc Pederson, Brandon Belt and Carlos Santana are all going to take jobs somewhere.      The low guys in that group may not beat O'Hearn's or Mountcastle's ~$3-$4mm Arb number by much.

I'd be glad for Ryan O'Hearn (or Jorge Mateo or Ramon Urias) if a Club wanted them for a 500 PA role, but I'm not expecting much.

O'Hearn does provide insurance if it doesn't click for Mountcastle, but in the good scenarios Mountcastle pulls the Mullins-Hays peak year thing and challenges for an All-Star berth.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had no idea that utility infielders put up a 115 OPS+

Ever look at his monthly splits? Most months are pretty awful but a couple months per season he’ll hit like an actual 1B is supposed to hit.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why?  Norby could be RH OF platoon partner with Cowser/Kjerstad next year. That’s a valuable role. Remember we don’t sign FA. If not Norby, then what RH bat will be ready for OD next year for OF?  

Fabian is one, but potentially have an all LH OF next year. Cowser, Hilliard, Kjerstad. EBJ at some point. Even Beavers is LH. 

We can agree to disagree. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oriole said:

Ever look at his monthly splits? Most months are pretty awful but a couple months per season he’ll hit like an actual 1B is supposed to hit.

And yet his end of the year numbers are...fine.

Sorry you don't find his game aesthetically pleasing.