Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Could Mountcastle not platoon with Kjerstad and/or Santander, as the roster is currently constructed?

He could. There’s enough room on the roster for a platoon at 1B, Kjerstad and Santander are not 1B, and Mountcastle hits worse than a utility infielder most of the time….leads me to being okay with O’Hearn hanging around. I’m not gonna be upset if they move him, but it makes sense to me as to why he’s on the roster.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Mountcastle is .742 lifetime against RHP.   Dragged down by 2023.  

Yep, I’m putting a lot of weight into his most recent numbers. I think that’s generally a good approach. I don’t want to bank of what someone did a few years ago when what he did last year was pretty abysmal. 

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

He could. There’s enough room on the roster for a platoon at 1B, Kjerstad and Santander are not 1B, and Mountcastle hits worse than a utility infielder most of the time….leads me to being okay with O’Hearn hanging around. I’m not gonna be upset if they move him, but it makes sense to me as to why he’s on the roster.

How do you feel about August - October caliber O'Hearn?

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You referenced one band I never heard of with another band I’ve never heard of.  Lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(music)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_Shoals_Rhythm_Section   (the Swampers)

Interesting fact: Glen Campbell was an original member of the Wrecking Crew and later played with the Swampers as well.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

How do you feel about August - October caliber O'Hearn?

Not good. Not sure when I ever said O’Hearn is a regular. I just think it makes sense to platoon and have a backup 1B around for when Mountcastle inevitably hits like one of Mateos bad months. 

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Good chance Kjerstad and Ortiz make the team if not traded.  I can’t see how Norby can.  Or Cowser unless he beats out Kjerstad.

If Norby doesn’t make the team he needs to be dealt. They are burning up his value. I agree unless they move Hall, Santander, or Hays.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You referenced one band I never heard of with another band I’ve never heard of.  Lol

The Wrecking Crew was a group of LA studio musicians that played on a ton of records in the 1960's and 1970's.  Glen Campbell was in that crowd until he got famous.  The Swampers was the rhythm section at the Muscle Shoals recording studio from the mid-1960's on.  The documentary on Muscle Shoals is amazing and you should watch it.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If Norby doesn’t make the team he needs to be dealt. They are burning up his value. I agree unless they move Hall, Santander, or Hays.

Why?  Norby could be RH OF platoon partner with Cowser/Kjerstad next year. That’s a valuable role. Remember we don’t sign FA. If not Norby, then what RH bat will be ready for OD next year for OF?  

Fabian is one, but potentially have an all LH OF next year. Cowser, Hilliard, Kjerstad. EBJ at some point. Even Beavers is LH. 

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

Not good. Not sure when I ever said O’Hearn is a regular. I just think it makes sense to platoon and have a backup 1B around for when Mountcastle inevitably hits like one of Mateos bad months. 

You said Mountcastle hits worse than a utility infielder most of the time, and used it as a reason why to keep O'Hearn. O'Hearn is 30 years old, posted 4 consecutive seasons with OPS in the 600's prior to coming here. And he closed out the season not hitting very well.

Everything you are saying about Mountcastle is actually more true for O'Hearn.

I just hope the Elias has enough time to get some things done.  I am starting to think JA is really pinching pennies and has laid everyone off the last few months to save money.  Do we really need to have the front office working and getting a paycheck in November,December, and January.  Our FO can be like teachers and on a 9 month contract.  

Depending on trades in the next month. Spring Training should be interesting.   We could see Mounty, O'Hearn, Santander, Westburg, Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo all get time at 1B.    Not that they are all ready for the majors yet.

I don't buy into O'Hearn has not trade value.  He built trade value last year.  You couldn't pass through waivers without him getting claimed.   If Elias can get Johnson and McDermott out of Mancini after his illness then he can get someone of value for O'Hearn.  

Elias is not going to want to break in too many rookies at the same time.  That is O'Hearn edge.  But he could go in a trade at the right time this season.

I think Elias will be watching who is ready to play at 1B  in ST and then make a decision on who plays there.

29 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You said Mountcastle hits worse than a utility infielder most of the time, and used it as a reason why to keep O'Hearn. O'Hearn is 30 years old, posted 4 consecutive seasons with OPS in the 600's prior to coming here. And he closed out the season not hitting very well.

Everything you are saying about Mountcastle is actually more true for O'Hearn.

You’re confusing me for someone who thinks either player is a true keeper. As currently constructed, I like having someone around that can fill Mountcastles spot. If either one was traded, it’d probably be for the best considering they’re both fairly below average for you’d want out of a 1B. With that being said, and I’m gonna repeat myself so I’m sure you understand, I like that O’Hearn can backup Mountcastle when he is struggling (he will, a lot). O’Hearn isn’t going to step in and hit like an all star, otherwise he’d be the starting 1B. But having an actual 1B on a roster that currently only has a below average 1B (who is streaky and had awful #’s vs RHP last year) seems like some cushion in case of emergency.