Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His lifetime OPS against RHP is currently .742 after a bad 2023.    Believe that.

How was Mountcastle looking before the Wall and Vertigo?

We have to have RHH to go against LHP. We just can’t penalize our RH bats because of the wall. 

Why do people always get so fooled at SSS?  How many times was Adam Jones turning the corner?  Mateo was going to have an 800+ OPS last year.

Mountcastle is who he is…a player who can carry an offense or look like a below average replacement player. At some point he certainly could have a well above average season.  It’s possible but it’s not something I would ever rely on or predict.

• Thanks 2

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

How was Mountcastle looking before the Wall and Vertigo?

We have to have RHH to go against LHP. We just can’t penalize our RH bats because of the wall. 

You’re starting to remind me of Greg775.  Don’t you follow the same team I do?

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Mountcastle, who actually has some trade value, and give the majority of 1B ABs to Kjerstad who has nothing left to prove at AAA? Then just just O'Hearn as a spot starter or a fall back plan if Kjerstad struggles? 

Wow …we actually agree on something. Mounty would be a Padre if it were up to me. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You’re starting to remind me of Greg775.  Don’t you follow the same team I do?

If we all came here and said the same things it would be pretty boring.

I’m also willing to say that I hope we bring Aaron Hicks back. Less than 5% of the board probably wants that. But remember the go ahead homer he hit against Seattle last year in OPaCY?  They brought in a lefty reliever, he hit a RH Hr to the bullpen. If not for Hicks, who do you pinch hit there or do you just let a lefty dominate one of your lefties?

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar, Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, Basallo, and EBJ, are all LH. We can’t just go shipping off our RH bats. Mountcastle, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby, are all important in that regard. 

You can’t pay Mountcastle the escalating salaries he is about to get.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

If we all came here and said the same things it would be pretty boring.

I’m also willing to say that I hope we bring Aaron Hicks back. Less than 5% of the board probably wants that. But remember the go ahead homer he hit against Seattle last year in OPaCY?  They enought in a lefty reliever, he hit a RH Hr to the bullpen. If not for Hicks, who do you pinch hit there or do you just let a lefty dominate one of your lefties?

You asked how Mouncastle was before the Wall and Vertigo.  Don’t you know?

I would disagree with the main premise of this thread, which is that the Orioles would not platoon Mounty. Why wouldn't they? It gets the best out of both players and it's why they were on a mission to acquire lefty 1B bats last off season: O'Hearn, Lester, Diaz, etc. 

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why don’t you just ask people?  I have. Some people here want an all homegrown position group as much as possible. Or whole team for that matter. It’s not a knock. It just is what it is.  We’re actually pretty close. 

Or maybe we just want more talent on the field?  And some of those with lesser talent on the roster just happens to be not homegrown.  It's not a conspiracy against guys from outside the organization, it's a conspiracy against mediocre players.  Arguably our two best pitchers last year in Bautisa and Bradish weren't Os from the cradle, yet you don't see us wanting them gone.  Mateo, Urias, O'Hearn and Hicks just aren't that good.   That's why I want them gone or not resigned.  Give the younger,  more talented kids the chance to play.   It's about talent and ability, not organization origin that's important.   

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not about value.  It’s about freeing up a spot for Kjerstad without letting a core player like Santander go.  And Kjerstad is not a 1B.

Then why tender him in the first place, I think its Mountcastle gets traded ( with a $4.7 arb settlement, they just announced to all that they love him) and who knows maybe they do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You can’t pay Mountcastle the escalating salaries he is about to get.

Right.  Another season under an .800 OPS and he’s a non tender candidate.  How much trade value does a player like that have.  O’Hearn had an .800 OPS and you say he has no trade value.  Mountcastle had a .779 OPS and you think he’s not worth next years salary but we should trade him because he has trade value.

It’s a long shot but an .850 type season from Mountcastle and he has trade value.  If it doesn’t happen he loses PT and gets non tendered.  It makes more sense to keep him around and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would disagree with the main premise of this thread, which is that the Orioles would not platoon Mounty. Why wouldn't they? It gets the best out of both players and it's why they were on a mission to acquire lefty 1B bats last off season: O'Hearn, Lester, Diaz, etc. 

He’ll start the year as the regular 1B.  They’ll only platoon him if he struggles like last year.  After he started to hit, he started 27 games in August.  Does that sound like a strict RH platoon bat?