The Angelos appreciation thread

Moose Milligan

3 hours ago, blid said:

The Macphail/Duquette years with Buck were good while it lasted.  I got to go to a playoff win!  We swept the Verlander/Scherzer/Price Tigers!  That's not nothing.  Some teams haven't had that kind of success that recently, and we're already back near the top.

Oops.  Some article I read the other day credited Angelos and I was too young to remember.  I stand corrected!

I remember it being that too that Angelos wanted Oriole Park, and Jacobs wanted "Camden Yards," as the reference to the neighborhood and history of the area. 

4 hours ago, SilentJames said:

I remember it being that too that Angelos wanted Oriole Park, and Jacobs wanted "Camden Yards," as the reference to the neighborhood and history of the area. 

Jacobs wanted Oriole Park; Willie Don Schaeffer wanted Camden Yards.  Angelos' purchase wasn't approved until October 1993 after a full two seasons had already been played under a 30 year lease.  In 1987, Edward Bennett Williams worked with Schaeffer to get the State to approve the necessary funding.  EBW signed the 30 year lease and died three months later in August 1988 and the team was sold in an estate sale to Jacobs that December.  Construction started the following year.    In 1993, the infamous Cito Sucks ASG was held and MLB has made sure Angelos never got the chance to host it.

Thus endeth the lesson.   There was never any Angelos involvement with the ballpark, nor was ever any chance the team would be moved. 

If you want to eulogize Peter, there are plenty who were helped by his law firm.  As to his nearly three decades running the ball club, I have nothing positive to say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I used to know John Moag pretty well when he was a partner in my law firm.  I’d love to pick his brain about everything that happened here.   I’m sure he’s very well plugged in to it all.  

Hi Frobby,

If you ever get a chance-we would love to hear it.