The Angelos appreciation thread

Moose Milligan

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I appreciate that it was just that one time you demanded that the team's #1 prospect be traded after a couple of poor outings for a 36-year-old middle reliever who'd go on to sell out half the team to PED investigators.

I cannot recall who this is referring to.  Which #1 prospect... which reliever?  Thanks.

I appreciate that the family kept games affordable, always had a lot of discount nights, always let us bring our own food. I really appreciate that, in recent years, the org has done a lot more to embrace Baltimore as a city and a general vibe than it has in the past. 

• Upvote 1

"The turning point in his ownership seemed to occur in the summer of 1996, as an Orioles team with great expectations struggled for four months. Pat Gillick, regarded as one of the most adept general managers in baseball history, recommended to Angelos to trade away players such as Bobby Bonilla and David Wells -- and Angelos, believing he had an obligation to field a competitive team for the daily Camden Yards sellouts, rejected the idea. Lo and behold, the Orioles rallied, made the playoffs and reached the World Series -- and thereafter, Angelos never really believed the advice of his baseball executives, especially not if they conflicted with his own thinly based baseball instincts. He sometimes required his general managers to wait hours for him at his law firm while he did other business -- including conversations with reporters. "The experts," he would call them in conversation, with more than a hint of mockery."

Olney/ESPN

49 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I cannot recall who this is referring to.  Which #1 prospect... which reliever?  Thanks.

Trade with KC: Jason Grimsley for Denny Bautista, 06-21-04.

Edited by nevadaO
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think it needs not be lost in here that Peter Angelos is a bad baseball owner but a good man. We can be glad him and his family don't own the team anymore, I certainly am, but he wasn't some kind of failed human.

He has definitely done some great philanthropic work for the state and city.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

"The turning point in his ownership seemed to occur in the summer of 1996, as an Orioles team with great expectations struggled for four months. Pat Gillick, regarded as one of the most adept general managers in baseball history, recommended to Angelos to trade away players such as Bobby Bonilla and David Wells -- and Angelos, believing he had an obligation to field a competitive team for the daily Camden Yards sellouts, rejected the idea. Lo and behold, the Orioles rallied, [u]made the playoffs and reached the World Series[/u] -- and thereafter, Angelos never really believed the advice of his baseball executives, especially not if they conflicted with his own thinly based baseball instincts. He sometimes required his general managers to wait hours for him at his law firm while he did other business -- including conversations with reporters. "The experts," he would call them in conversation, with more than a hint of mockery."

Olney/ESPN

Wait.  Who made the World Series in 1996?

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

"The turning point in his ownership seemed to occur in the summer of 1996, as an Orioles team with great expectations struggled for four months. Pat Gillick, regarded as one of the most adept general managers in baseball history, recommended to Angelos to trade away players such as Bobby Bonilla and David Wells -- and Angelos, believing he had an obligation to field a competitive team for the daily Camden Yards sellouts, rejected the idea. Lo and behold, the Orioles rallied, made the playoffs and reached the World Series -- and thereafter, Angelos never really believed the advice of his baseball executives, especially not if they conflicted with his own thinly based baseball instincts. He sometimes required his general managers to wait hours for him at his law firm while he did other business -- including conversations with reporters. "The experts," he would call them in conversation, with more than a hint of mockery."

Olney/ESPN

Wait, Olney/ESPN wrote the 1996 Orioles made the World Series. I must have been living in an alternate reality, lol.

• Thanks 1