The Angelos appreciation thread

Moose Milligan

I appreciate that you weren't quite as destructive an owner as Bob Irsay or John Fisher. I appreciate that you didn't move the team to DC or Nashville or whatever, in the middle of the night in a Mayflower van. I appreciate that roughly 12 month period in the 1990s when you thought you'd like to out-spend the Yankees, before you decided that was a terrible idea and that you'd much rather have the 11th-highest payroll for the 29th-best team. I appreciate that it was just that one time you demanded that the team's #1 prospect be traded after a couple of poor outings for a 36-year-old middle reliever who'd go on to sell out half the team to PED investigators. I appreciate that you stepped up and paid top dollar, by far the largest contract in team history, for a 30-year-old first baseman who'd hit .196 the year prior. I appreciate that you let Dan Duquette do whatever he needed to do to build a winning team for a few years, just so long as that didn't involve spending real money, re-signing Manny, or investing in the farm system. I appreciate your stick-tuitive-ness in your MASN lawsuit, which I believe is now older than my kid who's a sophomore in high school and has helped limit the player payroll and competitiveness of two different MLB teams. I appreciate that you stuck to your principles and refused to sign any international free agents for years and years for some... reasons... that escape me. I appreciate your business savvy in identifying that there are no ways to acquire players outside of draft picks at slot that meet a reasonable ROI, so the Orioles won't use them.

So, thanks, Pete.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I appreciate that you let Dan Duquette do whatever he needed to do (subject to helpful input from Brady Anderson) to build a winning team for a few years, just so long as that didn't involve spending real money, re-signing Manny, or investing in the farm system.

Fixed that one for you, lol.

This was well done. Who was the 36 year old middle reliever in the PED investigations? I'm drawing a blank...

I would add: Thank you for keeping us from overpaying on Japanese players so we could pay market rates for players like Davis, Ubaldo, and Trumbo.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Fixed that one for you, lol.

This was well done. Who was the 36 year old middle reliever in the PED investigations? I'm drawing a blank...

I would add: Thank you for keeping us from overpaying on Japanese players so we could pay market rates for players like Davis, Ubaldo, and Trumbo.

Jason Grimsley.

• Upvote 1

I’m going to Opening Day for the first time this year…does Angelos usually participate in the pregame festivities? And is he usually roundly boo’ed?

I’d be interested to see if John participates at all and what kind of reception he receives or if it’s just a Rubenstein love-fest.

45 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

I’m going to Opening Day for the first time this year…does Angelos usually participate in the pregame festivities? And is he usually roundly boo’ed?

I’d be interested to see if John participates at all and what kind of reception he receives or if it’s just a Rubenstein love-fest.

Peter Angelos has not been in the public eye for some time.  By most accounts he's mentally incapacitated to the point that he can't run the team.

John has been present a bit more through the last year.  He would certainly get roundly booed.  I'm not sure he knows that though.

I've never really felt the ire for the family.  Peter certainly did some things to try at times but was in way over his head.  Like Jerry Jones, but not willing to keep spending the money.  His meddling certainly set the franchise back years at times.

Peter didn't believe in rebuilding because he thought trade deadline selloffs did a disservice to fans who had already paid for season tickets.  That's noble.  It's idiotic and a terrible way to run a baseball team, but it's noble.

John has obviously been caught lying multiple times through the past year.  Just not going to give them any of my headspace being angry at them.

Not going to assume this will mean a change in how the club is run.  My primary goal at this point is retaining Elias and whatever scouting/development team has led this franchise to this point.  I don't think it's at all a guarantee that the new guy will retain him, or that he will want to stay.

So on the whole, cautiously optimistic, but not throwing any parties.

• Like 1