beaner

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have they proven if steroids increase bat speed yet?

I thought i heard something on ESPN before...They interviewed scientists and they said that there is no scientific proof that steroids make you hit the ball further.

Of course they do, if they increase muscle mass. I know you have to be able to translate that increased strength into energy in a coordinated way, but think of it like swinging a whiffle ball bat. Can't you swing a whiffle ball bat a lot faster than a 36-ounce wood bat? Of course you can. Increased strength is just the other side of the lighter bat equation - both allow you to move the bat faster.

How much, and how this effect manifests itself in individual players, is very much open for debate.

Have they proven if steroids increase bat speed yet?

I thought i heard something on ESPN before...They interviewed scientists and they said that there is no scientific proof that steroids make you hit the ball further.

Well Jon hit this already, but let me add...

being stronger yields two distinct advantages when hitting.

The first is sheer batspeed through the hitting zone. Simple physics tells us that more batspeed = balls hit harder and farther.

The second is that with increased batspeed comes the ability to wait an extra split-second to recognize and center the ball you're trying to hit -- in essence, your reaction time is increased because the reaction itself (the swing) happens faster. The effect would be similar to knocking a few MPH off of a fastball. Obviously that makes the game easier too.

So long as you're onboard with the conclusion that steroids make you stronger, then it's a real short trip to the conclusion that steriods make you a better hitter, and able to hit the ball farther.

Since it became obvious that Bonds was going to break the record, I think it's funny how A-Rod goes from being like, the greedy awful moneygrubbing example everything that's wrong with the game today because playing baseball better than like everybody in the world made him filthy rich to the heroic player of legend who is it said will one day purge all the evil from the number 755.

Since it became obvious that Bonds was going to break the record, I think it's funny how A-Rod goes from being like, the greedy awful moneygrubbing example everything that's wrong with the game today because playing baseball better than like everybody in the world made him filthy rich to the heroic player of legend who is it said will one day purge all the evil from the number 755.

Well at least until Jose Canseco's next book comes out. But yeah, it is funny.

It just goes to show that people are willing to overlook personality deficiencies when it comes to great accomplishments a lot more than they are willing to overlook cheating.

It just goes to show that people are willing to overlook personality deficiencies when it comes to great accomplishments a lot more than they are willing to overlook cheating.

I don't think Arod really has personality defeciencies, at least not major one's. He was one of the most beloved players in baseball before signing that huge contract, and later failing to be a "true Yankee", I don't think the media dislikes him. And lets not act like he's suddenly loved again.

Then explain Jason Giambi, and Gary Sheffield. Or the host of other caught and punished PED users who continue play every day without incident. I guess they haven't had any recent great accomplishments. The real lesson is, apparently, that cheating is fine if you're not on the verge of something historic.

Then explain Jason Giambi, and Gary Sheffield. Or the host of other caught and punished PED users who continue play every day without incident. I guess they haven't had any recent great accomplishments. The real lesson is, apparently, that cheating is fine if you're not on the verge of something historic.

The lesson is that if you come clean people are likely to forgive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both Giambi and Sheffield have admitted to usage whereas Bonds still denies it.

I don't think Arod really has personality defeciencies, at least not major one's. He was one of the most beloved players in baseball before signing that huge contract, and later failing to be a "true Yankee", I don't think the media dislikes him. And lets not act like he's suddenly loved again.

I think there is a difference betwen loving him and respecting his enormous talent.

The contract is a big part of why people dislike him but it's not the only thing. He seems to have contracted foot in mouth disease dating back to Texas. He's certainly said some incredibly stupid things and done some incredibly stupid things which is responsible for some of the negativity.

Did he not testify that he used "the clear" and "the cream"?

So testifying to a grand jury (that should not have been leaked to the public in the first place) that he used substances without knowing they were steroids is coming clean?

Giambi has come the closest, but even he is too much of a scumbag to say why he is apologizing.

So testifying to a grand jury (that should not have been leaked to the public in the first place) that he used substances without knowing they were steroids is coming clean?

Giambi has come the closest, but even he is too much of a scumbag to say why he is apologizing.

That is where MLB deserves alot of blame. They should announce that MLB and teams aren't going to go after players who come clean and the encourage them to come clean. I believe we'd have learned a lot more from players like Giambi if what they said couldn't be used against them to try and void their contracts.

The lesson is that if you come clean people are likely to forgive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both Giambi and Sheffield have admitted to usage whereas Bonds still denies it.

Giambi was forced to apoligize for something, he didn't say what. Sheffield hasn't really done much different than Bonds. He admitted to using the stuff Bonds used(at least some of it), but to this day, claims they weren't steroids. Everyone seems to forget this now, but Bonds basically did a Giambi, where he pretty much admitted to using while not actually saying the word steroid.

Pudge Rodriguez was in Canseco's book, and he dropped about 30 pounds the year testing started, yet, no one seems to care about him.

I think there is a difference betwen loving him and respecting his enormous talent.

The contract is a big part of why people dislike him but it's not the only thing. He seems to have contracted foot in mouth disease dating back to Texas. He's certainly said some incredibly stupid things and done some incredibly stupid things which is responsible for some of the negativity.

Yes, but the gap between the dislike of Bonds and Arod is as big as the Grand Canyon.

I think most respect Bonds enormous talent as well, the SD crowd seemed to even though they hate Bonds.

Archived