beaner

Kudos to the Padres fans, who for the most part cheered Bonds Home Run, for the second straight weekend, the San Diego fans have come through with pure class. Great moment. Some people were booing, probably some of the same ones who cheered wildly for Ken Caminiti, but that's ok. For the most part, the reaction was positive.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm clapping. Bonds is the greatest baseball player I've ever seen. Maybe he did steroids, maybe not. But how do we know who did? Maybe Pujols, maybe A-Rod, maybe Clemens, maybe Jeter, maybe Cal, who knows. We don't know.

But here we are: Bonds has come out, swung the bat 755 times in which the ball went over the fence. That's all I care about. When he hits 756, he will be the All-Time Home Run King. No asterisk. No nothing. Bonds is the home run king.

I'm clapping. Bonds is the greatest baseball player I've ever seen. Maybe he did steroids, maybe not. But how do we know who did? Maybe Pujols, maybe A-Rod, maybe Clemens, maybe Jeter, maybe Cal, who knows. We don't know.

But here we are: Bonds has come out, swung the bat 755 times in which the ball went over the fence. That's all I care about. When he hits 756, he will be the All-Time Home Run King. No asterisk. No nothing. Bonds is the home run king.

Well said, Mr Wahoo. Of course he did steroids, and a few of the ones you mentioned may have too, there are certainly players we hangouters have all cheered for that have done steroids too. The fact remains that 755 Home Runs is an unbelievable accomplishment, that's the bottom line.

As a pure baseball fan, its sickening to watch Barry Bonds hold one of baseball's most prized records. It's a shame soon we'll have not one, but two of the game's greatest scumbags holding honored records, when Bonds joins Pete Rose as a MLB record holder.

Lately , despite the alleged allegations of Bonds as being a cheater , the crowds have been giving a positive reception as he begins to approach 756. When he hit his 2nd of 2 home runs in that game in Chicago , he received a positive standing ovation , as he did when he hit 754 in San Francisco and 755 in San Diego. I am still hoping boos are rained upon him as he hits 756 , but given the recent reception towards him , it is unlikely the video of 756 that goes down in history will involve irate fans booing as he rounds the bases.

As a pure baseball fan, its sickening to watch Barry Bonds hold one of baseball's most prized records. It's a shame soon we'll have not one, but two of the game's greatest scumbags holding honored records, when Bonds joins Pete Rose as a MLB record holder.

Couldn't disagree more. Bonds is an amazing player, whether he's a scumbag or not shouldn't matter. I don't need to be his friend, just watch him hit.

Pete Rose passed Ty Cobb, who is widely regarded as the biggest jerk to ever play the game. What Rose did as a manager has nothing to do with how many hits he had as a player.

sorry guys...i can't cheer and I will NEVER EVER cheer...and guess what...if it were ever proven that Cal used...I would never cheer for him again either. What he did...and let's be honest, he did do it...cheated the game.

I would never want my kids to grow up and learn that a record like the all time home-run record was accomplished by cheating...CHEATING!!!! Does he have mad skill...of course he does...no one denies it. However, he is a despicable human being who deserves nothing less then to go down as a chump.

I loved Bud Selig standing up and not even clapping...he showed up yeh...but showed no emotion. Barry doesn't deserve it. Bonds and others like McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Palmeiro, and others have cheated a game that I and millions of other love so much. Cheer for him...no way...I will sit and remember Hank Aaron as the true home run king

Couldn't disagree more. Bonds is an amazing player, whether he's a scumbag or not shouldn't matter. I don't need to be his friend, just watch him hit.

Pete Rose passed Ty Cobb, who is widely regarded as the biggest jerk to ever play the game. What Rose did as a manager has nothing to do with how many hits he had as a player.

but he enhanced his body in order to achieve a record that this enhancement has direct correlation to doing. Not only is he a scumbag, which many others are...he made it EASIER to hit the HRs!!!! Rose didn't bet hits...he hit hits. This record has a million of these ********************

sorry guys...i can't cheer and I will NEVER EVER cheer...and guess what...if it were ever proven that Cal used...I would never cheer for him again either. What he did...and let's be honest' date=' he did do it...cheated the game.

I would never want my kids to grow up and learn that a record like the all time home-run record was accomplished by cheating...CHEATING!!!! Does he have mad skill...of course he does...no one denies it. However, he is a despicable human being who deserves nothing less then to go down as a chump.

I loved Bud Selig standing up and not even clapping...he showed up yeh...but showed no emotion. Barry doesn't deserve it. Bonds and others like McGwire, Canseco, Giambi and others have cheated a game that I and millions of other love so much. Cheer for him...no way...I will sit and remember Hank Aaron as the true home run king[/quote']

Technically, we know as much about Bonds as we do about Brady, Tejada, Gibbons, and any other Oriole name that has ever been brought up with suspicion. Do I think Bonds used steroids, of course I do, but i also believe that all the names I mentioned above did as well, along with hundreds of other players including many of the pitchers who gave up Home Runs to all of these guys. Does that make it right, no, but it was an even playing field for the most part, and Bonds just happens to be the best player out of any of them.

I'm clapping. Bonds is the greatest baseball player I've ever seen. Maybe he did steroids, maybe not.

It seems like so many people when arguing about Bonds say "we don't know for sure that he used steroids, lets give him the benefit of the doubt." The fact is, there is no doubt, he testified to a grand jury about the "cream and the clear," a n admission of guilt.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/12/03/MNGGFA0UDU65.DTL

He used steroids. Period.

I am with you. It is a shame. Bonds is a miserable, pompous, A-hole.

I still can't put Bonds in the same class as Aaron. To me this record will be an empty accomplishment. Hopefully, the entire crowd just sits on their hands when he hits it.

Game of Shadows details Bonds relationship with BALCO and his steroid use (and many other athletes). There is no doubt about it- he cheated big-time.

I am with you. It is a shame. Bonds is a miserable, pompous, A-hole.

I still can't put Bonds in the same class as Aaron. To me this record will be an empty accomplishment. Hopefully, the entire crowd just sits on their hands when he hits it.

Game of Shadows details Bonds relationship with BALCO and his steroid use (and many other athletes). There is no doubt about it- he cheated big-time.

Too late, most of the crowd cheered for him, as they should have...Yea, he's a pompous a-hole, but who cares. We have to watch him play Baseball, nothing else.

I always go back to the Ray Lewis incident, he lied to police about a DOUBLE MURDER, and people around here were so quick to forgive and cheer him. What he did was so far beyond worse than steroids it isn't even worth talking about, yet we can't even acknowledge Bonds accomplishment because he's a "scumbag, jerk pompous...etc". Not that he isn't, but why is it such a big deal.

Technically, we know as much about Bonds as we do about Brady, Tejada, Gibbons, and any other Oriole name that has ever been brought up with suspicion. Do I think Bonds used steroids, of course I do, but i also believe that all the names I mentioned above did as well, along with hundreds of other players including many of the pitchers who gave up Home Runs to all of these guys. Does that make it right, no, but it was an even playing field for the most part, and Bonds just happens to be the best player out of any of them.

even playing field...

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-03/22327462.jpg ----pirates

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/mar04/bonds327.jpg

giants

so what your saying is...the hundreds of players who used...made it an even playing field for the hundreds and hundreds of others who didn't. If ALL of the pitchers used...it might, but they didn't, probably not even a 1/4. Bonds would not be at 755 if it wasn't for steroids. PERIOD. THERE WOULD BE NO RECORD.

He would have 625 or so right now...not anywhere near the mark. You can't observe and cheer for something that steroids had direct correlation to making come true...you just can't

even playing field...

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-03/22327462.jpg ----pirates

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/mar04/bonds327.jpg

giants

so what your saying is...the hundreds of players who used...made it an even playing field for the hundreds and hundreds of others who didn't. If ALL of the pitchers used...it might' date=' but they didn't, probably not even a 1/4. Bonds would not be at 755 if it wasn't for steroids. PERIOD. THERE WOULD BE NO RECORD.

[b']He would have 625 or so right now...not anywhere near the mark.[/b] You can't observe and cheer for something that steroids had direct correlation to making come true...you just can't

I don't know if that's true, if he wasn't such a threat, than he may not have been walked so many times...It's about 850 more at bats that he's have if it weren't for all the walks.

Your other points are well taken, and I'm certainly not saying that steroids didn't play a part in the record, but the guy has hit all of these Home Runs, some credit must be given here.

I could care less about his personality. When I say the game's greatest scumbags, I was referring to blatant CHEATING. If Bonds kicks puppies on his way to the stadium, hits 756 without steroids, fine. But even without testing positive, there is no doubt he was juiced. You just do not add that much muscle mass at that age. Not to mention the whole head size growth thing.

I compared him to Pete Rose, because he's equally a scumbag for gambling on baseball. Steroids and Gambling are the two worst things a baseball player can do, on the field.

Both of them are complete trash, IMO. Its sad to think about the truly great players Bonds has passed, who actually earned their numbers w/o cheating.

Archived