Gunnar with Oblique injury on opening day and Basallo has stress fracture in elbow and will DH!

Tony-OH

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/orioles-kyle-bradish-ucl-sprain-elbow-injured-list.html#respond

"Gunnar Henderson is behind schedule due to an oblique injury that’ll still need another two to three weeks of downtime, though the team isn’t concerned that he’ll miss much, if any time. Top catching prospect Samuel Basallo, meanwhile, has a stress fracture in his throwing elbow and will be limited to DH work in camp. He could begun throwing again by late April (X link via the Banner’s Andy Kostka)."

Good Lord what an awful start to the offseason. What the hell kind of offseason program did the Orioles have this offseason?  

I'm not a big somebody needs to be fired person, but all of these injuries occurred due to an offseason work out design by the Orioles, they need to be "re-evaluated". 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue!

100%. I keep waiting that Adley has an ACL tear or something. What in God's name happened this off season? Did player's over train? Was the workouts too much? Did they not allow themselves to rest enough? 

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a pitcher spraining their UCL in the offseason. It's just brutal.

Gunnar’s injury certainly opens the door for Holliday to get more playing time at SS than expected during spring training. 

Of course, that assumes that Holliday isn’t absent from camp today because he’s in traction in some hospital.  

• Haha 1

Just be careful with Gunnar. You don’t want this to linger but assuming it doesn’t, this is just one of those things that means he gets less work early on. It could cause him to be behind things in the early part of the season and maybe treating the first week or 2 of games as ST but that’s about it.

I mean Basallo I'm basically rooting for the Club to at least gear him down to a We've Got Adley through 2027 and by then you'll have 100 career HR kind of setting while we wait and see if Chris Davis' contract is down to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th largest in Club history by then.

Gunnar I can even construe as early load management, but it does feel early for him to get the 10-year veteran "something's wrong the 1st day of spring training and I'll need to rehab down to 9 holes a day the next month".

John Means - gut reaction this costs him any shine as meaningfully better than Cole Irvin.     But hey, we've got Cole Irvin.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just be careful with Gunnar. You don’t want this to linger but assuming it doesn’t, this is just one of those things that means he gets less work early on. It could cause him to be behind things in the early part of the season and maybe treating the first week or 2 of games as ST but that’s about it.

I've always felt hitters don't need the full duration of spring training nearly as much as pitchers do.    If a hitter is in good condition and gets 2 weeks of exhibition games in he's probably fine.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/orioles-kyle-bradish-ucl-sprain-elbow-injured-list.html#respond

Good Lord what an awful start to the offseason. What the hell kind of offseason program did the Orioles have this offseason?  

I'm not a big somebody needs to be fired person, but all of these injuries occurred due to an offseason work out design by the Orioles, they need to be "re-evaluated". 

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

100%. I keep waiting that Adley has an ACL tear or something. What in God's name happened this off season? Did player's over train? Was the workouts too much? Did they not allow themselves to rest enough? 

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a pitcher spraining their UCL in the offseason. It's just brutal.

Heard from my friend who works for the  Orioles that they brought back Brady Anderson. Him and Kate Bush have the players running up that hill .

• Haha 1