Trade with Phils for Kaleb Ort

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Not you, someone complained about another AAAA acquisition and hoped this wasn't a replacement for Bradish and Means. 

Well you can look at Ort as a quad A type.  That might be a little unfair, but I don't think that's out of the realm of possibilities.  In regards to being a replacement for Bradish and Means, I hope that wasn't serious.

3 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

These are the kinda moves that good teams, specifically good developmental teams make…Identify guys with certain elite features, try to massage out those features to maximize value, and if it doesn’t work out, you lose a handful of cash. I see nothing to lose and something to gain. Am I missing something?  One of these guys could be the next Couloume/Cano, all for peanuts.

Bingo.  You are spot on.  Last I checked - which was last September - we needed more quality arms at Norfolk, and that's what Elias is trying to do.  I know they won the minor league Championship, but I still think they needed to upgrade that staff overall.

And I've seen some complaining about how Elias is focusing on winning at Norfolk and not enough about winning here.....which I also disagree with.  One thing I will say is, if you build a winning culture in the minor leagues, when guys get to the Show, they know how to win.  It translates.   And that's really important in my book.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Clearly, if he throws the slider, it's gotta be off the plate.  Thanks for posting this. 

If I'm the highly paid, genius pitching coach for him now, I say, "hey, let's not throw that pitch any more".  Kind of like, "Doc, it hurts when I do this."  ....."well then don't" do that..."

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Clearly, if he throws the slider, it's gotta be off the plate.  Thanks for posting this. 

If I'm the highly paid, genius pitching coach for him now, I say, "hey, let's not throw that pitch any more".  Kind of like, "Doc, it hurts when I do this."  ....."well then don't" do that..."

He should be FB/SL versus RHH. Cutters against LHH. He should probably scrap the change up all together. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He should be FB/SL versus RHH. Cutters against LHH. He should probably scrap the change up all together. 

His change seems pretty effective, although a small sample size because he didn't throw it much.  I have to wonder if he's developing that as well, or if he has no confidence in it.  But a good change-up can really be nasty if a good fastball and cutter is also in the arsenal.  I would like to know more about why he threw that pitch so infrequently.....and more interested to see how his mix changes this year.  Again, good stuff, thanks for posting it.