Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

Hope it is Norby.   913 PA in AAA is a long time.   We will see if he can translate some of his success up here.  His OPS at AAA is higher than Stowers who doesn't appear to be overmatched up here yet.

Maton makes a ton of sense. He hits LH.   It’s hopefully a temporary move anyway. Plus if they need to they can just release Maton at some point. 

If it’s Norby it’s one fewer 40 man spot you can cut later on.  

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maton makes a ton of sense. He hits LH.   It’s hopefully a temporary move anyway. Plus if they need to they can just release Maton at some point. 

If it’s Norby it’s one fewer 40 man spot you can cut later on.  

Norby deserves a shot though. Plus the lineup is already fairly balanced between right and left, no need to go out of your way to insure a left handed hitting 2B.

Posted (edited)

If Mateo can OPS .700, he’d probably be a top 3-5 2nd basemen in the AL the rest of his contract. WAR wise. His range and arm strength is incredible there. 

Just a coincidence that Brian Roberts was calling this game and Roberts career was ruined from concussions. Self inflicted. I hope Jorge is ok. I’m sure Mullins feels terrible. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

14 hours ago, yark14 said:

Idiots looking for attention on social media are claiming Mullins did it on purpose.  Where are we at in society?  Also, @Roy Firestone attempt at a joke just now is pathetic.

Hoping for the best for Jorge - if it is a concussion, they are never fun (I've had way too many).  Also, hope Cedric is able to move past this freak accident and focus on getting his hitting going.  We need him.

Really? It's a joke and Mateo is not dead and according to Mullins himself looked fine in the clubhouse. Good Lord, you must get offended very easily.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Nick Matón or Norby probably.

Maton bats left-handed, can play all three infield positions, and has been hitting the ball good. He has to be a candidate for sure. The one drawback he has is he has no options so the team would have to DFA him to get him back to AAA. Norby would have 3 options available to him.

Norby has also been hitting the ball well and can play corner outfield giving them an additional right-handed bat besides Hays and Santander out there.

Hopefully Mateo is just fine though and doesn't need to go on the IL.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Certainly shows you who the people are that get "offended" easily. The faux outrage and virtue signaling is pretty barf worthy.

I thought comedy was coming back after the Tom Brady Roast?

It’s not like @Roy Firestone kept calling him Chris Everett and not Jim. That was Jim Rome btw. Not Roy. Haha. 

Mateo is in the concussion protocol, so he will undergo some specified tests.  If the outcome shows any kind of concussion, there’s a mandatory minimum stay on the 7-day concussion IL. I assume we’ll find out today.  

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Would be required to go on 7 day IL with any concussion diagnosis, wouldn't he

I've never heard that and can't find anything that says they MUST go on the the 7-day IL with a concussion diagnosis, but I don't know for sure.