Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

I'll throw one of these if not jumping the gun as Jorge Mateo's role on the roster influences a bunch of others.

I have a hunch here he will be the backup shortstop for Gunnar's couple games a month off, and they simplify for Jackson Holliday.    @RZNJ has the lead on the take his CF capability could also make it easier for Kjerstad or Cowser.

But before he becomes a reserve affecting several of Elias' big fish, now that Brandon Crawford has left SFG, Amed Rosario and Tim Anderson have signed and position changes for Xander and Holliday have (or may have) occurred, there's a decent view how the 30 Opening Day shortstops for 2024 are shaping up.

I think Farhan Zaidi's Giants will win one of Snell-Chapman-Montgomery sometime soon, and that Club means to be in the playoffs chase.     Jay Jaffe today profiled the Giants SS situation as MLB-worst, and it isn't something money can help them with right this minute.     Should Zaidi try and get Jorge Mateo to backup or even overtake Marco Luciano?

I hope for Jorge Mateo a shot at a fuller slate of PA while he's still closer to his prime, and for the Orioles whatever kind of Arm, either MLB or minors, Zaidi might be able to spare to upgrade his SS position.    It is basically the same wish as for James McCann to get to be the Marlins starting catcher this season, if there's an opportunity to exchange well-qualified backup Bats for pitching.

Shortstop

Giants (30th, 1.1 WAR)

In the post-Brandon Crawford era, the Giants plan to give 22-year-old rookie Marco Luciano a chance to secure the everyday job, but the projection systems aren’t impressed. Luciano slipped off the Top 100 list by striking out 31.3% of the time while hitting .223/.334/.442 (106 wRC+) in 56 games at Double-A and 18 at Triple-A, then .231/.333/.308 in 14 games for the Giants. While our prospect team has praised his plus-plus power, they’ve noted his contact issues and remain convinced that he lacks the range and hands to stay at shortstop. The most obvious fallback option, Ahmed, won’t hit, and if Estrada — who played 24 games at shortstop last year — is pulled into duty here, the team may as well go into Panik mode and track down their long-lost second baseman.

• Upvote 3

Under.

I hadn't really connected it, but the Bradish/Means injury maybe increases the Club's need to push its best Bats up towards 700 PA.

In a low or mid-case year we might be battling for a playoff spot generally, but even in a good case year, the important division prize will be contested with another 94-ish win team.

The Orioles have enough potent Bats stacked up I think Mateo deployment goes partway towards that Jarrod Dyson kind of role.

Let's say Gunnar continues the Ripken thing and is in the MVP conversation.    You know what MVP candidates don't do - sit out 15 games when their Club is trying to outplay the Yankees over a large sample size.

24 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Under.

I hadn't really connected it, but the Bradish/Means injury maybe increases the Club's need to push its best Bats up towards 700 PA.

In a low or mid-case year we might be battling for a playoff spot generally, but even in a good case year, the important division prize will be contested with another 94-ish win team.

The Orioles have enough potent Bats stacked up I think Mateo deployment goes partway towards that Jarrod Dyson kind of role.

Let's say Gunnar continues the Ripken thing and is in the MVP conversation.    You know what MVP candidates don't do - sit out 15 games when their Club is trying to outplay the Yankees over a large sample size.

Gunnar started 78 of 81 games in the second half (and played in another), and Mateo still managed 114 PA.  That’s more or less how I chose 225 as the O/U for the year.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ll put the over/under on Mateo’s plate appearances at 225 this year.  Which side have you got?   

I’ll take the under, but that’s basically betting that Gunnar doesn’t have even a 10 day IL stint. 162 is a long season. Hyde mentioned how tired the team was last, and that we needed those days off before the Rangers series. If you’re on the team this year, you’re going to play. 

I'll take the under on that, hopefully.  Wouldn't be surprised if he hits that number though.

IMO, if he goes over that number (or even approaches it, really) something is wrong....be it Gunnar going down with an injury or Westburg not performing, Holliday not making it out of camp and getting a longer look at Norfolk, etc.  

I like Mateo a lot for what he is, but that's really just a speed merchant on the bases at this point with a decent (not spectacular) glove at SS.  Seems like a good teammate, clubhouse guy.  But there's no reason he should get close to 225 PA this year...not with the amount of infield talent that does things better than him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ll put the over/under on Mateo’s plate appearances at 225 this year.  Which side have you got?   

I’ll take the under.  That’s about 50-60 starts.  I just don’t think Gunnar is going to play nearly as much 3rd this year and even when he does Mateo isn’t a lock to start at SS or 2B on those days.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I hope it's over while he's playing for another AL East team. :D

For real though, I hope it's less than half that. I'll take the under.

Edited by spleen1015

I thought it was interesting Elias said Mateo would play a lot of OF this spring which would put him in the running more for the Cedric backup than the Gunnar backup. Appears to be a possible GM-speak smokescreen as he has played all SS over three games. Good news for Ryan McKenna. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought it was interesting Elias said Mateo would play a lot of OF this spring which would put him in the running more for the Cedric backup than the Gunnar backup. Appears to be a possible GM-speak smokescreen as he has played all SS over three games. Good news for Ryan McKenna. 

Gunnar's out for a bit.  And Jackson at 2B is the priority.  But agree with hoping to see Mateo get some CF reps in games. 

Maybe we'll see Westburg or even Urias  at SS soon.  And more Mayo at 3B.

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Today’s Sun article says “the plan is for him to see game action in center over the next week.”  Matt Weyrich

Everyone excited about hot starts this spring.  Meanwhile, not a peep about Jorge who’s crushing the ball right now.   Looks like he’s in mid April form.   Jorge, if only this could last longer than a few weeks or a month or two.   When Jorge doesn’t commit too early he’s a dangerous (I didn’t say good) hitter.   He must drive the hitting coaches crazy.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:36 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Hyde mentioned how tired the team was last, and that we needed those days off before the Rangers series. 

A lot good they did 😛 Off topic that was the excuse used when the team wasn't hitting the last 2 weeks of the regular season. It wasnt true considered it continued in the playoffs.. 

Hopefully the Mateo PAs is under. With Felix gone and Bradish and Means missing time they are going to win as many of those games where they only score 1 or 2 runs that seemed to go through a lot last year