2024 Minor League Spring Training tracker

Tony-OH

I saw Almeyda at Twin Lakes today. He was hitting on a side field while the two minor league exhibition games were being played. It was against live BP. By the time I realized who it was hitting and got over there, I saw about his last 20 or so cuts. 3 (maybe 4 - couldn’t tell on one) went over the fence.

He looks physically more mature, yet still plenty of room to grow - as you’d expect for someone who’s still a month shy of turning 18. 

Guessing he starts in the FCL. At least I’m hoping. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:27 PM, scarey1999 said:

I saw Almeyda at Twin Lakes today. He was hitting on a side field while the two minor league exhibition games were being played. It was against live BP. By the time I realized who it was hitting and got over there, I saw about his last 20 or so cuts. 3 (maybe 4 - couldn’t tell on one) went over the fence.

He looks physically more mature, yet still plenty of room to grow - as you’d expect for someone who’s still a month shy of turning 18. 

Guessing he starts in the FCL. At least I’m hoping. 

If he's over here for spring training, he's playing in the states.

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he's over here for spring training, he's playing in the states.

I think he is but I'm pretty sure he was in minor league camp here last year as well.

46 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think he is but I'm pretty sure he was in minor league camp here last year as well.

Perhaps because he lives in the United States, but because of VISA's they only bring over the players who will play in the states.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Glad to see he put yesterday’s troubles behind him quickly.  I should have mentioned in my post yesterday, after the helmet incident, he sat at the end of the bench postgame by himself (everyone else had cleared the dugout) for about 10-15 minutes. A coach came over to talk to him for a bit, then they walked off…the last people to leave the fields.

I wanted to get back out to Twin Lakes today but ended getting tied up with work. So unfortunately, yesterday will be my last time going there this spring. I really enjoy watching the action that close. It’s so raw and unfiltered. Just pure baseball.

I am going to the Phillies game at Ed Smith tomorrow, the away game at the Red Sox Thurs, hopefully (weather dependent) at the Rays Sat and the last game at the Twins to wrap up the spring and my trip. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Glad to see he put yesterday’s troubles behind him quickly.  I should have mentioned in my post yesterday, after the helmet incident, he sat at the end of the bench postgame by himself (everyone else had cleared the dugout) for about 10-15 minutes. A coach came over to talk to him for a bit, then they walked off…the last people to leave the fields.

I wanted to get back out to Twin Lakes today but ended getting tied up with work. So unfortunately, yesterday will be my last time going there this spring. I really enjoy watching the action that close. It’s so raw and unfiltered. Just pure baseball.

I am going to the Phillies game at Ed Smith tomorrow, the away game at the Red Sox Thurs, hopefully (weather dependent) at the Rays Sat and the last game at the Twins to wrap up the spring and my trip. 

We forget sometimes that he's a very young man who has very high expectations for himself. He had a ton of success last year so we haven't seen how he handles struggles that much.

Perhaps the injury that got him behind has frustrated him a bit because maybe he thought he would get more big league opportunities in spring training. Then he struggles a bit in a game and it just kind of builds up. 

It's nice to know a coach was over there talking to him after seeing that. He was probably asked to hang around a bit so he could be talked to after his display. That's good coaching in my opinion. 

Players get upset. Gunnar can still be a helmet slammer a bit, but what he doesn't do is anything that could hurt himself. 

Hopefully that was just a blip because hitting lasers off Skenes just shows how good he can be.

High A, March 19th.

Infield:  Willems. Josenberger, Vasquez, Young

Of:  Etzel, Bradfield, Prado.

C: Urman

Haskin also hit

Subs were Retzbach, Hodo, Bryan Hernandez, Craig.

Pitchers: Gibson 3, Ort 1, Krook 1, Portes 3, Richmond 1

Offensive highlights were doubles by Haskin, Josenberger, Urman and Craig. 

• Thanks 1

The Orioles added the following players to the full-season injured list today:

- Daniel Federman

- Reese Sharp (Tommy John)

- Jean Pinto (Tommy John)

- Wyatt Cheney

- Hugo Beltran

- Adam Crampton (Tommy John)

- Trey Nordmann 

- Conner Loeprich

- Nathan Webb (Tommy John)

- Noah Denoyer (Tommy John)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

@Tony-OH, I suspect that Mac Horvath has some kind of injury.  Most of his likely teammates have gotten a taste of ML ST and I also haven't seen him in any of Eric's postings or Karl or Scarry's !lineups.

Yeah, good observation. I also have not seen Wagner so I'm guessing those guys are down with something. Considering we've seen some Low-A guys like Isaac DeLeon get PAs, something is up with those guys. 

I just saw @Dreadnought post that Haskin got a hit. That's a first sighting of him for me. I was surprised not to see him getting any kind of spring training PAs late in games.

41 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

The Orioles added the following players to the full-season injured list today:

- Daniel Federman

- Reese Sharp (Tommy John)

- Jean Pinto (Tommy John)

- Wyatt Cheney

- Hugo Beltran

- Adam Crampton (Tommy John)

- Trey Nordmann 

- Conner Loeprich

- Nathan Webb (Tommy John)

- Noah Denoyer (Tommy John)

Thanks, where did you get this info? 

The way Denoyer's stuff fell off dramatially last year, it's not surprising to see him on the list. Pinto was the best guy on this list.