Trade Theory

Ballbusters

I'm confident that Elias will definitely be making a move before opening day if nothing else then to move McKenna for cash (can't see him making the roster).  But I think the player to trade that makes the most sense is O'Hearn.  coming off a career year his stock is at it's highest point.  He really doesn't fit on the roster and I don't think there are any at bats for him with Cowser on the team and Mountcastle healthy.  Offensively they probably have similar projected stats and obviously Cowser has a better defensive profile.  I would think the return would be looking for some young projectable rookie league pitcher.  I also think that if that were to happen they keep Nevin to backup and be a RH bat off the bench.     

It's been said in a few other threads: O'Hearn is on the team, confirmed by Hyde. He's not getting traded. They view him as an integral piece of the lineup, and he's going to start against most righties. 

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, Ballbusters said:

I'm confident that Elias will definitely be making a move before opening day if nothing else then to move McKenna for cash (can't see him making the roster).  But I think the player to trade that makes the most sense is O'Hearn.  coming off a career year his stock is at it's highest point.  He really doesn't fit on the roster and I don't think there are any at bats for him with Cowser on the team and Mountcastle healthy.  Offensively they probably have similar projected stats and obviously Cowser has a better defensive profile.  I would think the return would be looking for some young projectable rookie league pitcher.  I also think that if that were to happen they keep Nevin to backup and be a RH bat off the bench.     

I think O'Hearn's trade value at the moment is next to nothing. A year ago he wasn't good enough to make the roster of one of the worst teams in baseball, which is how we got him cheap. Yes, he had an okay 2023 for us (122 OPS+), but the rest of MLB will still be thinking of him as replacement level until and unless he puts up similar numbers this season. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's been said in a few other threads: O'Hearn is on the team, confirmed by Hyde. He's not getting traded. They view him as an integral piece of the lineup, and he's going to start against most lefties. 

Why will he start vs most lefties?

1 hour ago, Ballbusters said:

IMO if an O’Hearn trade was out there to be made, it would have been made before the spring started. 

At this point, a week before the season, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with starting the season with him on the roster. If last season proves to be the exception and not his new norm, we have several options to replace him. Competition can be a good thing in bringing out the best in players who know if they don’t perform they will be replaced.

I think it depends who you are trying to get on the roster. O'Hearn and Urias are certainly the most "replaceable" options. If O'Hearn were moved, it would open up a spot of Stowers or Kjerstad while Mayo could have a spot if Urias is moved. I don't see Nevin on the team either way, but I guess he could take the O'Hearn spot, but I would be quite upset if we traded O'Hearn to give the spot to Nevin. 

I view O'Hearn as a useful piece, but a skill set that we can replicate on the roster. Urias is much the same. 

Honestly, I see both on the team to start the year with a position player roster of: Adley, McCann, Mounty, O'Hearn, Westburg, Henderson, Holliday, Urias, Mateo, Cowser, Hays, Mullins and Santander. 

If someone needs a LHH and was willing to give up a good bullpen piece, I'd be onboard with moving him, but I don't see it. I think the moves we see are probably a trade for cash considerations of our out of options guys

I think any of O’Hearn, Urias or Mateo could be moved for the right return and Elias has his ears open on all of them. He might even be shopping them. But if not, they’re not getting DFAd and they’re going to make the team, and I think they’re valued pretty highly so the trade return would have to be something notable and not just fringy prospects, PTBNLs or cash. 

Probably the same story for Stowers and Norby, but the only reason to trade them now is if they think they’re peaking in trade value now (which could be true).

McKenna and Nevin probably will get claimed but I don’t think they’re going to go out of their way to clear space to hang onto them. They have Burdick and Mayo with options that can get called up instead of need arises. 

• Upvote 1