2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't think it's just the splits, I think it's giving Adley the appropriate amount of rest. That's probably factoring in why he hits better as a DH, tbh.

Adley is also bashing southpaws to the tune of a 1.115 OPS. I understand wanting to keep him fresh, but playing McCann in favor of Kjerstad or another bat cancels out some of Adley’s increased OPS as a DH

If the rest of the lineup wakes up after the last few games hopefully it won’t matter when McCann goes 0-4. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Adley is also bashing southpaws to the tune of a 1.115 OPS. I understand wanting to keep him fresh, but playing McCann in favor of Kjerstad or another bat cancels out some of Adley’s increased OPS as a DH

If the rest of the lineup wakes up after the last few games hopefully it won’t matter when McCann goes 0-4. 

Kjerstad would be lefty on lefty. The choice is between McCann C/Adley DH or Adley C/Urias.

It's a pretty ugly bottom of the lineup, and it really doesn't have to be that way.  But, given who is currently one the roster and the way they are wanting to rest Adley, I guess there isn't much other choice.  But the roster needs shaken up a bit and we are letting McCann catch WAY too much.  

The bottom of this line up is an absolute black hole. Way to jump start the offense. If you're gonna play Cowser vs LHP, might as well throw Kjerestad in there.

And agree w/ above. AR has to have something going on..

Mayo would look so good in this RHH line up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't disagree.

Kjerstad isn't a player that needs to be platooned. He's also the kind of bat that should be played every day to see how he acclimates to MLB pitching. I think it's an awful move to bench him after the game he had yesterday. He's been handled terribly going back to last season.

Hyde/Elias platoon too much. Play your most talented guys. Mateo, Urias, Hays, Mullins - they're not your best guys in the organization. Move away from the flawed, average-at-best vets. Raise the talent level of his team and bench them even more, especially when Coby Mayo gets here (at which point one of Urias/Mateo should be DFA'd if there are no injuries to Gunnar/Westburg).

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Media has to ask Hyde about Adley/McCann.  

A high leverage night for watching the gaggle and pondering Roch the journalist vs. Roch the media relations human shield between Hyde and the newspaper types.

Against LHP if Coby Mayo were here as a platoon DH it'd be easier to give Adley a full day off..

That said, it is summer swelter and nearing the end of the year's longest grind.    I don't know that this isn't Adley's equivalent to Grayson's inflammation, and with good fortune he will have 100% of a bigger number of October games, and probably closer to 90% of a bunch of key September ones.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

A high leverage night for watching the gaggle and pondering Roch the journalist vs. Roch the media relations human shield between Hyde and the newspaper types.

Against LHP if Coby Mayo were here as a platoon DH it'd be easier to give Adley a full day off..

That said, it is summer swelter and nearing the end of the year's longest grind.    I don't know that this isn't Adley's equivalent to Grayson's inflammation, and with good fortune he will have 100% of a bigger number of October games, and probably closer to 90% of a bunch of key September ones.

It may very well be they are just keeping Adley fresh and there is nothing more to it. 

Certainly can pay off later. 

19 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't buy catcher ERA at all, but last year for Irvin:

• McCann: 1.98 ERA in 10 games
  • Adley: 6.00 ERA in 13 games

This year it's not as pronounced, but still there: 2.41 ERA for McCann, 3.81 ERA for Adley. 

That Yankees game famously had Adley behind the dish when Irvin was pitching. So, something to consider. 

Not picking on you, but how can you consider it if you don't buy it at all? Just curious, as it does seem to me also worth considering (given this sample size) even when the "experts" say it doesn't hold water. Sort of like "clutch hitting."

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't disagree.

It's funny if I posted or anyone else for that matter on OH that Adley should DH more because his season OPS as a DH is substantially higher. It would then be pointed out by other board members that we're basing the decision on a small sample size.

That seems to be what the Orioles are doing here. Once Basallo is up they can split them 50/50 at catcher for all I care. If McCann could get back to last year's production this pill would be easier to swallow.

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's funny if I posted or anyone else for that matter on OH that Adley should DH more because his season OPS as a DH is substantially higher. It would then be pointed out by other board members that we're basing the decision on a small sample size.

That seems to be what the Orioles are doing here. Once Basallo is up they can split them 50/50 at catcher for all I care. If McCann could get back to last year's production this pill would be easier to swallow.

About a week ago, I was going to make a post on “Adley as DH,” because he’s an absolute monster in the DH slot. Top DHs since 2023:

IMG_3632.thumb.jpeg.7c9f92209f9539c38cf2232ae7362198.jpeg

On some level, if McCann playing unlocks Juggernaut Adley, it’s probably worth it to have him in there.

However, where I got hung up a little was causation. Does Adley mash as a DH (as compared to when he plays C) because there’s something intrinsic about DH-ing that works for him?

Or is it just that he kills LHPs, and he usually DHs against LHPs (because that’s usually when McCann catches)?

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 1