2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the info.  Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo are currently 1, 11, and 14, on mlbpipeline's top 100 right now.  Mayo and Basallo should go up.  You couldn't put up better numbers in AAA than what Mayo did.  Basallo is one of the best players in AA ball at 19.  

I am not expecting much movement in the top20 or so prospects since they re-ranked earlier this year (Basallo and Mayo got bumps then),none have exhausted rookie eligibility since, and the top 2024 draft guys are not of same caliber as last season (Skenes, Langford, Crews, etc)

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hope they're lottery tickets, and not just a product of graduating bats and trading bats/arms.  The list is definitely very international with a lot of NCAA SP recent draftees.  The end of the year list might be Basallo, EBJ vs Honeycutt for #2, then throw a dart for the order of 7-30.

I would include Honeycutt but we have a ton of players with high upside. The low minors will be filled with them. Here are just a few names.

George

Layton

Martinez

Emilio Sanchez

Jordan Sanchez

Elvin Garcia

Almeida

• Upvote 1

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but it sort of seems that with all of the older/advanced prospects that either are on the MLB club/or got traded, that now we get to take a long look at some guys that were overlooked because of how spoiled we’ve been with top top prospects. 

Guys like Estrada, Josenberger, and/or Stiven Martinez. 

Take Martinez for example, recently when have we ever had our big 16 year old, ranked signing, actually come out the gates and perform?  Martinez has done that.

Then I see the new tiers of the system regarding hitters,

Tier One - Basallo

Tier Two - Honeycutt and EBJ

Tier Three - Estrada, Martinez, Beavers, and O’Ferrell

Tier Four - Fabian, Willems, Josenberger, Overn, Anderson, and then maybe the top 2-3 Delmarva/DSL bats. Like Sosa and Arias.

Tier Five - DJ Layton, the other Delmarva/DSL bats. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

On 8/12/2024 at 10:14 AM, Say O! said:

FYI, MLB Pipeline (Callis & Mayo) intend to re-rank the top100, team top30, and overall farm systems this week. 

Here are the links to the MLB Pipeline re-rank

• Top 100 and corresponding write-up.  O’s have Holliday (#1), Mayo (#10), Basallo (#11)
  • O’s top 30 and corresponding write-up.  O’s top10 goes Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Honeycutt, Povich, EBJ, McDermott, Beavers, O’Ferrall, Nunez.

From the O’s write-up

Jump: Stiven Martinez, OF (Preseason: NR | Midseason: 12)
A native of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Martinez signed with the O’sfor $950,000 in January. The 6-foot-4, 198-pound outfielder was the No. 28 international prospect at the time. Over his first 36 games in the Dominican Summer League this year, the 17-year-old Martinez slashed .284/.418/.466 with four doubles, four triples, three home runs and 27 RBIs.

Fall: Luis Almeyda, SS (Preseason: 20 | Midseason: NR)
Almeyda signed with the Orioles for $2.3 million in January 2023, the most given to an international signee in franchise history. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound shortstop was born in Paterson, N.J., before his family moved back to the D.R. Almeyda struggled a bit after returning stateside, hitting .200 with a .653 OPS over 53 games in the Florida Complex League this year.

Here are the players added to the Top 30 from outside the organization:

No. 4: Vance Honeycutt, OF (Draft, first round)
No. 9: Griff O’Ferrall, SS (Draft, Prospect Promotion Incentive pick)
No. 15: Ethan Anderson, C/1B (Draft, second round)
No. 16: Patrick Reilly, RHP (Trade with Pirates on July 30)
No. 19: Austin Overn, OF (Draft, third round)

Best Tools

Hit: 70 -- Holliday
Power: 65 -- Mayo
Run: 80 -- Enrique Bradfield Jr.
Arm: 70 -- Mayo
Defense: 70 -- Bradfield (Honeycutt)
Fastball: 70 -- Keeler Morfe
Curveball: 60 -- Trace Bright
Slider: 60 -- Chayce McDermott
Changeup: 55 -- Povich
Control: 50 -- Povich

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/12/2024 at 1:36 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the info.  Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo are currently 1, 11, and 14, on mlbpipeline's top 100 right now.  Mayo and Basallo should go up.  You couldn't put up better numbers in AAA than what Mayo did.  Basallo is one of the best players in AA ball at 19.  

You could put up better numbers than a .935 fielding percentage at 3B and a .956 at 1B.   You could do better than having your pitching staff do 1.5 runs per game when you catch.  

It boggles my mind how people ignore bad defense when assessing prospects.  

I think Basallo has a good shot at top 5 when new rankings come out, but I don’t think Mayo will.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You could put up better numbers than a .935 fielding percentage at 3B and a .956 at 1B.   You could do better than having your pitching staff do 1.5 runs per game when you catch.  

I think Basallo has a good shot at top 5 when new rankings come out, but I don’t think Mayo will.   

I think they just did and take with grain of salt. Mayo 10 and Basallo 11. The reason I say take with grain of salt is no Aron Estrada in top 30.

50 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think they just did and take with grain of salt. Mayo 10 and Basallo 11. The reason I say take with grain of salt is no Aron Estrada in top 30.

Yeah did they just forget Estrada.  There is no way he not at least a top 30 guy in the organization, and if he is then the organization is really stacked. lol.  

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course defense with Mayo. I thought that was obvious. We could mention that every time about him. With a healthy Westburg at 3B, Holliday at 2B, and Gunnar at SS, Mayo’s role with us is at 1B to replace Mounty/O’Hearn. 

A guy that we’ve been sleeping on, for obvious reasons, is Stiven Martinez. We almost never see one of our 16 year old signings have the season he is having in the DSL. 

Anyword on us being linked to any of the new J2 signings for the 2025 class?  I’d love to see us finally land a top 10 dude, but I’m thrilled with the work Perez is doing down there. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A guy that we’ve been sleeping on, for obvious reasons, is Stiven Martinez. We almost never see one of our 16 year old signings have the season he is having in the DSL. 

Personally, I haven’t been sleeping on Martinez.  I’ve mentioned him several times in the DSL thread.  But everyone’s under the radar down there.   I’m betting Tony’s list will have a heavy sprinkling of DSL/FCL guys, with the top levels of our system thinned out from graduations and trades.  

On 3/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. (Updated as of Aug 12th) 

RK Name POS Prev   Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   Baltimore  
2 Coby Mayo 3B/1B 2   Baltimore  
3 Samuel Basallo C 3   BOW (AA)  
4 Enrique Bradfield Jr. CF 4   ABN (A+)  
5 Chayce McDermott RHP 5   Nor (AAA) 7-Day IL
6 Michael Forret RHP 6   ABN (A+)  
7 Aron Estrada INF/OF 7   ABN (A+)  
8 Cade Povich LHP 9   Nor (AAA)  
9 Dylan Beavers OF 8   BOW (AA)  
10 Keeler Morfe RHP 28   DEL (A)  
11 Patrick Reilly RHP 10   BOW (AA)  
12 Cameron Weston RHP 11   BOW (AA)  
13 Luis DeLeon LHP 12   ABN (A+)  
14 Brandon Young RHP 16   Nor (AAA)  
15 Trace Bright RHP 14   BOW (AA)  
16 Stiven Martinez OF 27   DSL Orange  
17 Thomas Sosa OF 13   DEL (A)  
18 Leandro Arias SS 15   DEL (A)  
19 Edgar Portes RHP 17   ABN (A+)  
20 Emilio Sanchez SS 18   DSL Orange  
21 Elvin Garcia SS 22   DSL Black  
22 Luis Almeyda SS 19   FCL O's  
23 Joshua Liranzo 3B 20   FCL O's  
24 Miguel Rodriguez C 21   FCL O's  
25 Jordan Sanchez CF 23   DSL Orange  
26 Trey Gibson RHP 24   ABN (A+)  
27 Nestor German RHP 25   DEL (A)  
28 Jud Fabian OF 26   BOW (AA)  
29 Creed Willems C 29   ABN (A+)  
30 Tavian Josenberger 2B 32   ABN (A+)  
31 Yeiber Cartaya RHP 39   DEL (A)  
32 Elis Cuevas IF/OF 30   FCL O's  
33 Adriander Mejia C 31   DSL Orange  
34 Reed Trimble OF 33   ABN (A+)  
35 Kevin Velasco RHP 38   DSL Orange  
36 Yaqui Rivera RHP 34   ABN (A+)  
37 Silas Ardoin C 35   BOW (AA)  
38 Andy Fabian LHP 36   DSL Black  
39 Frederick Bencosme 2B 40   BOW (AA)  
40 Alex Pham RHP UR   BOW (AA)  

Bubble Players          

Justin Armbruester RHP 37   Nor (AAA)  
  Kade Strowd  RHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Max Wagner 3B     BOW (AA) 7-Day IL
  Levi Stoudt RHP     BOW (AA)  
  Zach Fruit RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Braxton Bragg RHP     DEL (A)  
  Braylin Tavera CF     DEL (A)  
  Jacob Cravey RHP     DEL (A)  
  Edwin Amparo 2B     DEL (A)  
  Elis Cuevas OF     FCL O's  
  Jesus Palacios RHP     FCL O's  
  Francisco Morao RHP     FCL O's  
  Esteban Luna RHP     DSL Black  
  Esteban Mejia RHP     DSL Black  
  José Mejia 2B     DSL Black  
  Félix Amparo INF     DSL Black  
  Jemone Nuel INF     DSL Black  
  Saul Gomez 3B/1B     DSL Orange  
  Luis Guevara INF     DSL Orange  
  Adriander Mejia C     DSL Orange  
  Adrian Heredia RHP     DSL Orange  

Tracking purposes before Draftees.

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2024 at 8:50 AM, Tony-OH said:

New draftees placements are very preliminary.

Good to see the aggressive placements for Griff and Ethan Anderson. I assume Honeycutt will be top 10-ish once we see him play? So far so good with Griff and EA at Delmarva.