Connor Norby 2024

emmett16

I thought whoever it was last year that had the Steve Pearce comp, that was a good take.   I know he feels notably blocked, but I think Sigbot likes him as a complement to all the lefty outfielders down the line.

Some fall they may ask him to take care of this Josh Hader guy off the bench late and close, easy peasy.

I'd credited him with a clean RF game but we left with the kiddo after 6 and I see in the game thread he too had some kind of mishap like every Top 100 prospect in the game last night.

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I thought whoever it was last year that had the Steve Pearce comp, that was a good take.   I know he feels notably blocked, but I think Sigbot likes him as a complement to all the lefty outfielders down the line.

Some fall they may ask him to take care of this Josh Hader guy off the bench late and close, easy peasy.

I'd credited him with a clean RF game but we left with the kiddo after 6 and I see in the game thread he too had some kind of mishap like every Top 100 prospect in the game last night.

He came in on a ball that was lined to him on a hop and it bounced off his glove. My only issue was there was a runner rounding 2nd when he lazily went after the ball. The runner saw that and took off for 3rd, but Norby picked it up and threw an accurate, if not super strong, throw to nail the runner at 3B. 

I was a little surprised how he went after the ball because he's always been a bit of a gamer. You would think that the outfield will be the way he will make the Orioles one day so he probably should not be McKenning out there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just my opinion, but I think he’s the next odd man out a la Ortiz. He’s traded at the deadline or this coming offseason since he’s got to be added to the 40 man. I love him as a player offensively. There is just no space for him and he’s caught up in the numbers game. 

17 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Just my opinion, but I think he’s the next odd man out a la Ortiz. He’s traded at the deadline or this coming offseason since he’s got to be added to the 40 man. I love him as a player offensively. There is just no space for him and he’s caught up in the numbers game. 

You are probably right, but his bat is really fun to watch. His barrel control and oppo power are impressive. I don’t see an obvious fit defensively, but that bat is going to play.

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think Sigbot likes him as a complement to all the lefty outfielders down the line.

I think so too.  Plus toss in the 2B positional flex too. He would be a great 4th OF who plays 60% of the time.  And honestly, that might not maximize his bat value.

Some hard decisions on the horizon...

12 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

You are probably right, but his bat is really fun to watch. His barrel control and oppo power are impressive. I don’t see an obvious fit defensively, but that bat is going to play.

That oppo last night was beautiful!  For a RHH that plays well in OPACY.

55 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That oppo last night was beautiful!  For a RHH that plays well in OPACY.

Goodrum robbed him on another shot to RF. Stays inside the ball very well. For a RH hitter, he’ll have success in Camden Yards because of his RCF approach. 

I know a bunch of you got to see it on MiLB TV, but Friday night Norby also had a crazy night on the bases by the early innings.

It started bad in the 1st inning when he over-rounded 2nd base thinking about first-to-third on Kjerstad's CF single, and the CF cut him down.

Later in the game he also took a risk hustling into 2nd on another hit, and made it safely but as it was unfolding it seemed like a 50-50 play and I held my breath he wouldn't be thrown out on the bases twice in an hour.

22 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Actually, Steve Pearce might not be the worse comp for Norby. Just a professional hitter without a plus position. Hopefully the more consistent he plays outfield the better he will get.

Interestingly, when Holliday played shortstop, Norby still played the outfield in LF.

Seems the org has finally determined that his best path forward to the big leagues, especially with the Orioles.

I still think he'll see some 2B time this year, but looks like he'll spend the majority of his time in corner outfield. He's an average runner so I wonder if they'll give him some CF time too.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Interestingly, when Holliday played shortstop, Norby still played the outfield in LF.

Seems the org has finally determined that his best path forward to the big leagues, especially with the Orioles.

I still think he'll see some 2B time this year, but looks like he'll spend the majority of his time in corner outfield. He's an average runner so I wonder if they'll give him some CF time too.

The organization doesn't have much in the way of RH COF, so I'm in favor of this.