Gunnar Henderson 2024

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

20 RBI over 2 months now. That is pretty bad when he’s supposed to be your best hitter. 

Add in the less than stellar defense, and you have a guy that just isn’t getting it done at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

725 OPS since the All-star game with a total of 5 homers.  The Orioles cannot win with this Gunnar Henderson.  This is his worst stretch since the beginning of his first full year. 

I would say he’s tired or injured.   He is not taking the hellacious swings he was taking in the first half.   At the time, I thought he might need to cut down on his swing a bit but I’m wondering if it was by design or for another reason.

25 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Do we still want to extend Henderson?

Of course we would, but this is about this year.  At the moment, he is not the impact player they need.  That could change in the coming month, but he has been not very good for a superstar for a couple of months.  He is not Judge, but he is our Judge.  We need to 900 OPS Gunnar to win. 

Am I wrong, but is anybody else tired of watching him NOT plant his feet to throw to 1b?

I don't like it; it seems to be way more prevalent than in the past; and I think it is directly related to his throwing struggles the last few months.

Am I crazy?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Am I wrong, but is anybody else tired of watching him NOT plant his feet to throw to 1b?

I don't like it; it seems to be way more prevalent than in the past; and I think it is directly related to his throwing struggles the last few months.

I agree with you completely. He’s being “dazzling”

When Holliday threw the ball over 1B at first I thought it was Gunnar who did it.

19 minutes ago, Pickles said:

They said on the Fox telecast that he knows about the issue but they are going to work on it more in the offseason, so as not to screw him up so much now. 

17 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I agree with you completely. He’s being “dazzling”

When Holliday threw the ball over 1B at first I thought it was Gunnar who did it.

Holliday is picking up the same bad habit (or maybe always had it).  It clearly manifests itself during double plays where'd they both rather run around like such and suches rather than set their feet and flip the ball to the bag.

Holliday's play in the 9th was terrible, but that might have been a slip of the hand.  Still.

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They said on the Fox telecast that he knows about the issue but they are going to work on it more in the offseason, so as not to screw him up so much now. 

Was that tonight?  I was watching the MASN broadcast.

Whatever the issue is, and again some guru can come correct me, he seems to be doing it a lot more lately and I think it is directly related to his defensive struggles, and it is absolutely not the fundamental way to play the position.

With Gunnar, I wonder if it's a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" scenario to an extent. Both his hitting and fielding have been sub par for a while. Is his lack of success at the plate causing him to try to compensate in the field by trying to make every play make the highlight reel? Or are his fielding blunders affecting him mentally and affecting his at bats?

Either way, there's a definite confidence/mental element to his going from looking like an MVP to looking bewildered snd frustrated out there.

I think Gunnar also reads his press clippings. Remember that ESPN game where they hyped him up and he wore the Lego shoes? The home run derby? I think his recent lack of success is causing him to press big time ... 

Matter of fact I think the whole team is pressing. Somehow, some way, they need to play fun and loose like they were earlier in the season. Some of this is on the players but the coaches need some blame here too.

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

I don’t get why every throw from SS is on the move. It’s not like he needs the momentum behind him to make a strong throw.