Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Westburg has zero errors this year.  Mayo's arm is great, but if you're not fielding the ball, the arm is not going to make a difference.

Throwing accuracy is still a problem for the big guy. Until he can find that accuracy consistently, he's going to be  gamble at 3B. I know the Orioles have a host of RFs right now, but I do think they may want to start giving him looks out there. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Throwing accuracy is still a problem for the big guy. Until he can find that accuracy consistently, he's going to be  gamble at 3B. I know the Orioles have a host of RFs right now, but I do think they may want to start giving him looks out there. 

Mayo has put in a lot of effort to get better at third.  But if this is an honest example of his best.  Well his best is not good enough for the major leagues.  His making errors WORSE than Devers and Devers is a freaking nightmare at third for the Red Sox.  I would guess its going to be first base, RF or DH for Mayo.  

10 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Westburg had 6 starts in the OF in 67 games in AAA in 2023 right before he was called up when there was a big logjam of IF at both the MLB and AAA levels. His OF flexibility was also definitely talked about by Orioles coaches that season. I don’t disagree with your point generally, but it was a bit more of a concerted effort of “does he have flexibility, maybe he can play in the OF too so we can figure out how to make this work now that his bat is MLB ready” than you are giving it credit for. 

The Orioles are already splitting Westburg’s attention between 2B and 3B and I think there’s almost a 0% chance they add more than that this season. He’s good at both positions but prior to the season said he’s really only comfortable at 2B. He’s very valuable at both positions. They might have even thought he didn’t take well to the OF in AAA, we don’t know. I think it’s possible that they revisit the OF flexibility once he feels comfortable at 3B if it makes sense with Mayo, but it won’t be midseason 2024 and is still pretty unlikely overall.

If somebody is going to the OF, seems more likely that they try Mayo in RF at some point given Mayo’s arm and Westburg being superior to Mayo at 3B (even with Mayo’s improvements there). But I think they still want Mayo working on 3B now and they’ll make more of a decision on the OF this offseason after seeing how he progresses at 3B this year. 

Thank you for that correction.

Still, that’s nothing and there is nothing to indicate they will be moving Westburg out there. He’s a very big good defensive IFer and I don’t see the logic that they take a known good defensive player and put him in a completely different position just to appease someone that is already playing other positions, some of which are likely more natural for him.

It just doesn’t make sense. It lacks logic.

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Westburg has zero errors this year.  Mayo's arm is great, but if you're not fielding the ball, the arm is not going to make a difference.

I believe 6 of Mayo’s 9 errors were throwing errors.  His arm strength may be “great,” but his accuracy isn’t.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Does AAA give you sprint speed numbers?    Anything on Mayo?

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Despite all the IFers the Os have had, they never played Westburg at first and barely played him in the OF. I believe he had one start in the OF in AA and maybe did fly balls in practice.

Yet people think they may move him to those positions.  I don’t quite get that thought process but I guess you never know if the Os all of a sudden go away from something they have been doing for several years.

I think what would be different. Here is that it seems the Orioles are rethinking whether mayo can actually play third in the majors. If prior to this, they didn’t consider him to be a viable option at third in the majors then there would be no reason to Experiment with Westberg at first, for example 

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think what would be different. Here is that it seems the Orioles are rethinking whether mayo can actually play third in the majors. If prior to this, they didn’t consider him to be a viable option at third in the majors then there would be no reason to Experiment with Westberg at first, for example 

I don’t buy that and even with that, last year they had Gunnar, Ortiz, Westburg and Holliday.  Still needed to find room.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t buy that and even with that, last year they had Gunnar, Ortiz, Westburg and Holliday.  Still needed to find room.

Pretty clear they knew they were going to trade Ortiz

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Thank you for that correction.

Still, that’s nothing and there is nothing to indicate they will be moving Westburg out there. He’s a very big good defensive IFer and I don’t see the logic that they take a known good defensive player and put him in a completely different position just to appease someone that is already playing other positions, some of which are likely more natural for him.

It just doesn’t make sense. It lacks logic.

Yeah, I’m with you. If Mayo and Westburg are going to be in the lineup at the same time at 3B and OF, the Orioles are going to put them at the positions where they collectively contribute most positively defensively - and hard to imagine that being anything other than Westburg being at 3B. 

I don’t think Mayo will ever be a true everyday 3B with the Orioles, even if he is passable there. I think they have Mayo continuing to work on 3B because longer term it helps a lot if he can play there when one of Gunnar/Holliday/Westburg is out of the lineup or DHing for rest or injury. That could be something like 50 games a year that you can get a much better hitting bench bat in the lineup than a light hitting utility IF. And a lot of Mayo improving at 3B is transferable to playing at 1B - it’s just not a priority to give him a lot of 1B time right now while we have both Mountcastle and O’Hearn.

Seems like we have a decent number of prospects that are stick over glove. Maybe they should look at a Mansolino type guy to work through the minors. Norby, Kjerstad, Mayo, maybe Holliday. Mayo has been in the system for 4 years and I don’t believe Kjerstad is any better defensively since we drafted him.

39 minutes ago, baltfan said:

That was always the rumor.  When he came up he got the big number unlike Westburg who got a normal number. 

None of that means anything. 

And there was no real rumor that Ortiz was going to be dealt. Just a lot of conjecture.

Either way, you don’t KNOW it’s going to happen.  Even if that’s the guy they want to trade, it doesn’t mean someone else wants him. 

I'm confident that Mayo would likely get us pretty much anyone we wanted or needed at the deadline. I do wonder how he'll fare against ML velo. I found it very interesting when they were interviewing JD Martinez about his time in the MiL this year and he said that he was shocked by the absence of velocity.