Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dunk35 said:

Is there any reason to be concerned about that little hitch before he UNLOADS on a baseball??

I feel like the more typical "hitch" is a toe-tap, which Ohtani developed after struggling at first with his timing.  He might be well served to switch to that move, which seems to be a good timing mechanism for a lot of hitters that prefer a higher leg kick on the load phase.

Edited by Hallas

Mayo now has 22 homers at AAA and doesn’t turn 23 until after this season. Barring injury (to him or at the MLB level getting him called up), chance he ends up with 40+ homers in AAA before age 23. I wonder how often that’s ever been done before? Have to figure that most prospects good enough to do that get called up before they accumulate enough AAA ABs to do it. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Mayo now has 22 homers at AAA and doesn’t turn 23 until after this season. Barring injury (to him or at the MLB level getting him called up), chance he ends up with 40+ homers in AAA before age 23. I wonder how often that’s ever been done before? Have to figure that most prospects good enough to do that get called up before they accumulate enough AAA ABs to do it. 

I sense a disturbance in the baseball history Force.....  @DrungoHazewood is that you ?

13 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I sense a disturbance in the baseball history Force.....  @DrungoHazewood is that you ?

I don't know that this is particularly unusual. It's hard to search on things like that, Stathead doesn't do minor leagues. So I'd have to kind of randomly pick likely cases and check them out. 

The first player that came to mind was Don Baylor, who had 42 homers, nearly a 1.000 OPS and over 1200 PAs at AAA Rochester before he turned 23. 

Joe DiMaggio played parts of four years for the San Francisco Seals before the Yanks bought him. The PCL was called AA back then, but it was certainly just a step down from the majors. From ages 17-20 DiMaggio hit 74 homers for the Seals. In 1935 at the age of 20 he hit 34 homers, no one else on the team had more than 11, and the median age of the team was 26.

That same year in the PCL Gene Lillard was 21 and hit 56 homers. He had 131 homers at that level by the time he turned 22. Lillard played professionally from 1932-54, missed three years due to WWII, hit 345 minor legaue homers, but went just 8-for-44 in the majors.

36 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

@Jim'sKid26 @DrungoHazewood - When people compare us to the Rays, this is exhibit A in my mind.  Depth, transition management, "slow rolling", match-ups...  (and the low payroll but that's another thread).

• Upvote 1