Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

I'll be a little disappointed if Mayo is that slow.    I think he's sharper iron than O'Hearn or Westburg, and maybe even several of the longtime Orioles veterans for competing with the surviving Clubs best pitchers late this season.

That said, if Steve Pearce can be World Series MVP, there's no reason Ryan O'Hearn can't either....I just think he isn't who I would prefer to go up against Gerrit Cole or Tyler Glasnow with.

There's enough runway all season long if it is a thumbs down on 3B to get him sorted out at 1B/DH.   

On 4/9/2024 at 1:37 PM, Il BuonO said:

Could he be moved to RF?

I think he's got enough foot speed to do it right now and clearly enough arm. But the orioles are stacked with RF prospects so I think they will try to shoehorn him in at either 3B or 1B.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice!  It’s interesting timing to post this on the same evening that word leaks out that they’re promoting Holliday.  On the one hand, maybe calling some “official” attention to Mayo makes him feel better that he hasn’t gotten the call-up yet.   They wouldn’t produce a video like this for a player they didn’t think would be in the majors soon.  It certainly feeds the fans’ expectations for him and will only add to the call-up clamor.   

It's a great point on timing. I don't think anything that team does we with PR is not calculated. 

I do think if Westburg hasn't picked it up by May, he will end up switching spots with Mayo. Now they could move Westburg to utility, but would he get enough PAs to improve or would they prefer to he get everyday PAs in Norfolk if that occurs? I think that's the question.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I just can't imagine a scenario where both of these things are true.

Mayo will be up, likely by about the All Star break, IMO. 

Why not? In most other organizations he would be in the majors sooner but the Orioles don’t need him now, so they have the luxury of letting him continue to play everyday at 3B in AAA to see how that develops. That doesn’t reflect much against his value as a prospect.

And even if Mayo is only a 1B I’d rather have him than Luzardo. But I also don’t think that highly of Luzardo, and Mayo would still be easily a top 50 prospect at 1B only. He’s better than Kyle Manzardo who is in that range, for instance. 

I know it’s high expectations but I still see Austin Riley as a comp. He is going to hit, hit for power, and drive in runs. He should be adequate with the glove and a strong arm. What has also helped Riley in his career is always having protection behind him.