Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I've been saying for years they should just put him at 1B but everyone said that would be a waste of his amazing arm. 

I am skeptical that he can play beyond O'Hearn level OF. They really need him to learn 1B or just accept the reality that he is a DH, imo. 

The team is obviously willing to live with O'Hearn level OF for the right bat, so I don't see why that would be an issue if he's able to do it.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os have really botched Mayo this year. It’s a shame.

I hope he stays up and gets more of a chance.

I think he’s definitely guessing right now and his timing is off. I don’t think the minors really help him right now but I also get how you are at the part of the season where you can’t have a zero, so it’s a fine line to walk. Personally I keep going to him but I get if they don’t.

Keep him up, sending hin down after this SSS is lunacy. You should know this better than anybody.

6 minutes ago, deward said:

The team is obviously willing to live with O'Hearn level OF for the right bat, so I don't see why that would be an issue if he's able to do it.

O'Hearn plays 1B most of the time. The only reason he doesn't play there full time is to get other bats in the lineup. We would not want that kind of defense out there full time. Been there, done that with Trumbo/Cruz/Delmon. 

I had hopes he would spend his time in AAA learning 1B this year.  Westburg-Gunnar-Holliday-Mayo seems like the optimal infield going forward.  Maybe he can play OF and maybe not.  That would've also been a good use of his time in Norfolk.  Kid sure doesn't look like a 3B.

Just now, Ripken said:

I had hopes he would spend his time in AAA learning 1B this year.  Westburg-Gunnar-Holliday-Mayo seems like the optimal infield going forward.  Maybe he can play OF and maybe not.  That would've also been a good use of his time in Norfolk.  Kid sure doesn't look like a 3B.

I think he can play third at this level. It’s just not going to happen here.

An issue I have had for many years with this org, which Tony mentioned recently, is that the Os seem hesitant to take pitchers and put them in relief roles sooner. I have long been irritated by this.

This is a similar thing. Now, it’s not that Mayo can’t handle third but it’s not happening here, so why are we wasting time playing him at a position he’s not going to play here?

Of course, Westburg is hurt and he can play it for now but he should have been getting a lot more 1st base time and throw him out in RF some.

If you aren’t going to do those things, why are you keeping him in the minors, especially when those on the ML roster playing instead of him aren’t providing you a ton of value.

None of it makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he can play third at this level. It’s just not going to happen here.

An issue I have had for many years with this org, which Tony mentioned recently, is that the Os seem hesitant to take pitchers and put them in relief roles sooner. I have long been irritated by this.

This is a similar thing. Now, it’s not that Mayo can’t handle third but it’s not happening here, so why are we wasting time playing him at a position he’s not going to play here?

Of course, Westburg is hurt and he can play it for now but he should have been getting a lot more 1st base time and throw him out in RF some.

If you aren’t going to do those things, why are you keeping him in the minors, especially when those on the ML roster playing instead of him aren’t providing you a ton of value.

None of it makes sense. 

So I'm asking as a point of clarity. Are you arguing against him having increased position flexibility or are you advocating for him to focus on one position so that he can hone his skills and learn his defensive craft? I think he's much more valuable if he can play 3B, 1B and RF than if he's a 1B only. Am I missing your point?

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So I'm asking as a point of clarity. Are you arguing against him having increased position flexibility or are you advocating for him to focus on one position so that he can hone his skills and learn his defensive craft? I think he's much more valuable if he can play 3B, 1B and RF than if he's a 1B only. Am I missing your point?

I don’t mind if they kept playing him at third some.

Let’s say in a 6 game week, he sits one game and plays 5. I would have played him at third 1-2 games a week and the rest at first and RF (if he was atrocious in RF and you saw no reason to keep that up, just first the rest of the time).

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Keep him up, sending hin down after this SSS is lunacy. You should know this better than anybody.

I’m in favor of keeping Mayo up for his playoff series changing bat ceiling. 

However, I don’t think we need anymore sample size to see that this year he is not a MLB 3B, or at least not a mlb 3B you would want starting a playoff game. 

So then… his the bat good enough right now to play him at 1B/DH over O’Hearn, Mounty, and Eloy?

People can say we handled Mayo wrong, but what if we were aware that his bat had some holes that could be exploited at the MLB level?  We have our own advanced scouts too. 

Maybe the correct way of handling Mayo was to use him as a centerpiece for Skubal. Obviously, Mayo+ wasn’t enough. Skubal is still on the Tigers. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

By waiting until right at the end, you aren’t giving him much of a chance to adjust, succeed and be ready for October.

Also true IMO of 2022-2023 Grayson and 2023 Westburg.     Adley now has more or less the full view how Elias has managed the rosters of the first 50% of the Orioles teams he is under the control of.

I do think Elias displayed some growth in 2024 increasing investment in the MLB roster.

Mayo isn't the extreme youth Holliday was in April - I hope he gets at least another week or three.

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m in favor of keeping Mayo up for his playoff series changing bat ceiling. 

However, I don’t think we need anymore sample size to see that this year he is not a MLB 3B, or at least not a mlb 3B you would want starting a playoff game. 

So then… his the bat good enough right now to play him at 1B/DH over O’Hearn, Mounty, and Eloy?

People can say we handled Mayo wrong, but what if we were aware that his bat had some holes that could be exploited at the MLB level?  We have our own advanced scouts too. 

Maybe the correct way of handling Mayo was to use him as a centerpiece for Skubal. Obviously, Mayo+ wasn’t enough. Skubal is still on the Tigers. 

It seems that Skubal was not really on the market at the trade deadline.  Do the O's try again in the offseason?

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seems that Skubal was not really on the market at the trade deadline.  Do the O's try again in the offseason?

We can try but I would assume the Tigers will keep Skubal for now. They could easily get a Mayo level prospect at the trade deadline, no reason for them to rush.

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Skubal availability odds go down.    The 2024 Tigers were a maybe that fell short of playoff contention - it'd be more of a white flag move before the 2025 Tigers get to see what him and Jackson Jobe together look like.

But big picture I think Eflin is the new Burnes for the starting architecture of 2025 Orioles pitching.

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think Skubal availability odds go down.    The 2024 Tigers were a maybe that fell short of playoff contention - it'd be more of a white flag move before the 2025 Tigers get to see what him and Jackson Jobe together look like.

But big picture I think Eflin is the new Burnes for the starting architecture of 2025 Orioles pitching.

I'm not sold on Eflin being Burnes based on 3 starts.  Hopefully the O's can sign Burnes as a free agent, probably a long shot, or one of the better free agent pitchers to supplement him.

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We can try but I would assume the Tigers will keep Skubal for now. They could easily get a Mayo level prospect at the trade deadline, no reason for them to rush.

Mayo level prospects-top 5 in baseball by some rankings, are not easily obtained.  Trading one of the big 3 for 2 years of Skubal is probably an overpay, but trading one for a year and 2 or 3 months is just getting to be too much.  Skubal is a time sensitive valuable.  The longer Detroit holds him, the less he is worth.

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm not sold on Eflin being Burnes based on 3 starts.  Hopefully the O's can sign Burnes as a free agent, probably a long shot, or one of the better free agent pitchers to supplement him.

For sure he isn't as good, but he might be 75% as good for 50% of the cost, and at that part of baseball's pay structure we don't go to 100%, not even for Gunnar or Adley yet.

Elias I think kind of chills on SP this winter waiting for data how well or poorly Bradish's recovery progresses to inform July 2025 trade deadline actions.     With health Eflin, Grayson, Rogers and Kremer I think get the first four games.      Zac Gallen, Dylan Cease or Freddy Peralta maybe come available next summer if one of their teams stumbles.     Somebody out of Suarez, Povich, Irvin, McDermott, Young will rate an April SP5 role.