Brandon Hyde 2024

18 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I appreciate the effort. But these numbers don't apply because we know that Akin is awful with runners on and in high leverage situations and we need to consider O'Neill's dominance against lefties, so a homer isn't the only consideration. He's decently fast (above average) *and* he can hit doubles or even triples with that goofy ass wall and dead center's orientation. Probably here is that Akin isn't going to attack O'Neill, so we know he's going to put him in a position where he's going to rip something. 

Are you saying Akin shouldn't have been brought in at all due to the ghost runner? Because Akin sure looked good for the first two batters. 

I think there is a difference between pitching to O'Neill and giving him some pitches out of the zone that will likely result in a walk but could turn into a K or popup if we get lucky. Hyde has said that is what the pitchers are being told to do in borderline IBB situations. It is critical that the pitcher execute so that the only possible outcomes are better than a walk. He should not have gotten a pitch anywhere near his hot zone. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Are you saying Akin shouldn't have been brought in at all due to the ghost runner? Because Akin sure looked good for the first two batters. 

I think there is a difference between pitching to O'Neill and giving him some pitches out of the zone that will likely result in a walk but could turn into a K or popup if we get lucky. Hyde has said that is what the pitchers are being told to do in borderline IBB situations. It is critical that the pitcher execute so that the only possible outcomes are better than a walk. He should not have gotten a pitch anywhere near his hot zone. 

It's exactly what I'm saying. Akin has a 2 cent head. I would never bring him in with runners on as a first choice. He needs to come on in clear & fresh innings. It's only a matter of time with him. O'Neill is a perfect example regardless of how dominant he is against lefties or not. 

It's obviously a compounded issue w/ Hyde yanking Cano after 2 pitches. He created that bullpen mess to begin with.

Edited by LookitsPuck