Brandon Hyde 2024

Didn't see a thread to discuss managerial decisions this year, but today certainly had a lot of interesting ones, especially the decision to pitch Baumann in the 10th instead of Cano or Coulombe.  

Both Cano and Coulombe pitched yesterday but neither threw a lot of pitches and the O's had a day off on Thursday.  Unless Cano was sore I think he was the best option.  If it was Coulombe versus Baumann, you could debate platoon advantage I suppose, but Coulombe is clearly in the upper tier of the bullpen and Baumann is not.

I saw someone on the game thread suggest that Hyde wanted to keep Cano out because he knew Kimbrel wouldn't be available tomorrow.  That may be what Hyde was thinking, but I think it's bad reasoning.  You have a one-run lead and a chance to win the game today, and there's no guarantee you'll need a closer tomorrow.  

• Upvote 3

Hyde lost that game. Baumann should never be in there for high leverage situations, especially when Cano is available (and Coulombe for that matter). Baumann should only be used when absolutely necessary or for mop up duty.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

Hyde lost that game. Baumann should never be in there for high leverage situations, especially when Cano is available (and Coulombe for that matter). Baumann should only be used when absolutely necessary or for mop up duty.

Yeah Hyde fault not the 0-14 from the offense with runners in scoring position and being no hit the first 6 innings or so.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

Agreed.  I know they're keeping Baumann around because he has a live arm, but I've seen enough to know that I don't trust him in a late and close/high leverage situation.  

Should have brought DC in instead of Baumann and there's a better chance to win that game.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.  I know they're keeping Baumann around because he has a live arm, but I've seen enough to know that I don't trust him in a late and close/high leverage situation.  

Should have brought DC in instead of Baumann and there's a better chance to win that game.  

Not a bunch of other options in house.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Not a bunch of other options in house.

Well, DC was available today, for starters.  Apparently Cano was, too.  Either one of them should have been brought on before lighter fluid Baumann.  

I agree there are not a bunch of other options in house to replace Baumann on the 26 man roster, but I hope that they can figure out a way to shore up the bullpen soon.

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah Hyde fault not the 0-14 from the offense with runners in scoring position and being no hit the first 6 innings or so.  

This. I didn’t like having Baumann in there, but Hyde didn’t lose this game. Heck, several of Hyde’s late game moves helped put the Orioles in position to win the game. But I did hate having Baumann in the game in that situation. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, DC was available today, for starters.  Apparently Cano was, too.  Either one of them should have been brought on before lighter fluid Baumann.  

I agree there are not a bunch of other options in house to replace Baumann on the 26 man roster, but I hope that they can figure out a way to shore up the bullpen soon.

Albert Suarez and maybe Wandisson Charles.  Charles has to prove he can throw strikes, otherwise he’s just another Baumann.   But Suarez is a strike thrower with 96-97 and multiple pitches.   He went 6 shutout in relief tonight but he might never even be needed as a starter, especially with Means close to coming back.   Means probably pushes Irvin to the pen.  If and when Bradish comes back, Wells would be another welcome addition to the pen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Albert Suarez and maybe Wandisson Charles.  Charles has to prove he can throw strikes, otherwise he’s just another Baumann.   But Suarez is a strike thrower with 96-97 and multiple pitches.   He went 6 shutout in relief tonight but he might never even be needed as a starter, especially with Means close to coming back.   Means probably pushes Irvin to the pen.  If and when Bradish comes back, Wells would be another welcome addition to the pen.

I forgot about Suarez.   

In regard to Irvin and Wells to the pen, that would definitely help but I like those guys as mid-to-long relievers, not as guys who are more situational, one inning types who can get a strikeout or two with the ghost runner on 2nd to start extra innings.

That said, I'd have preferred to see either one of them come into the game in extras over Baumann today.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I forgot about Suarez.   

In regard to Irvin and Wells to the pen, that would definitely help but I like those guys as mid-to-long relievers, not as guys who are more situational, one inning types who can get a strikeout or two with the ghost runner on 2nd to start extra innings.

That said, I'd have preferred to see either one of them come into the game in extras over Baumann today.

You need an “A” set and “B” set.   Coulombe, Cano, and Kimbrel are the “A” set.   If you can get 6 from your starter that’s who’s next.   But we need 3 more guys we trust on the nights those guys need rest.  I was hoping Baumann might be one of those guys.   Akin looks like a maybe.  Webb?  Yeah, we need one or two more trustworthy relievers.   

• Upvote 2

I thought the Oneil intentional walk possibility mentioned in the game thread may have been good sense.

I mean, I don't expect Jonathan Heasley to survive the ghost runner scenario when the offense puts him in that spot, but considering it was one of our weaker pitchers against one or two of their top hitters I might have played for one groundball to give a chance at two outs.

The bats failing early against Bailey Falter was the main competitive shortcoming for me today.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I thought the Oneil intentional walk possibility mentioned in the game thread may have been good sense.

I mean, I don't expect Jonathan Heasley to survive the ghost runner scenario when the offense puts him in that spot, but considering it was one of our weaker pitchers against one or two of their top hitters I might have played for one groundball to give a chance at two outs.

The bats failing early against Bailey Falter was the main competitive shortcoming for me today.

They fought back to tie it in the 9th but, to me, that’s where we didn’t close the deal.  Tie game, 2nd and 3rd and only one out.  I thought Cowser would strike out especially after missing the first two fastballs so I was kind of proud of him for fouling two off and putting the ball in play.  A higher bounce and the run scores.  A hit and we score two.   I didn’t watch much but this team finds ways to win or at least have a chance to win.  We’re 5-3 without pitching, hitting, or fielding to our capabilities.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Absolutely should have walked Cruz. No need to pitch to him there. It’s easy to say from my couch.

But having 2-3 hits over 9 innings shouldn’t even get you to the 10th. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Complaining about the bullpen usage in a game where the lineup continues to underperform is the height of shortsightedness

You can't help, but think could the Tides lineup do better when the offense struggles like it did today. Nevertheless, I don't want to see Baumann in late innings and high leverage situations unless there is no other option out of the bullpen.