Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

Infield quality today is much different today than it was 50 years ago. Hops are truer, and it’s faster. Even an 80 runner isn’t beating out many infield hits on a regular basis.

per batted ball data, line drives have a .685 avg and gb .239. Plus infield ground ball outs (unlike fly ball outs) rarely move runners, and at best you have a single.  Hitters are being told to put the ball in the air because teams would like them to be on base. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

Infield quality today is much different today than it was 50 years ago. Hops are truer, and it’s faster. Even an 80 runner isn’t beating out many infield hits on a regular basis.

per batted ball data, line drives have a .685 avg and gb .239. Plus infield ground ball outs (unlike fly ball outs) rarely move runners, and at best you have a single.  Hitters are being told to put the ball in the air because teams would like them to be on base. 

All true but another point is a lot less crappy astro-turf-some of it simply rolled over concrete and at one time 40% of the teams had it-YUCK!!  In the day a hard hit single went to the wall-they needed guys like Willy Wilson (a LF to Amos Otis) and Willie McGee to get into the gaps.  Their speed was also usefull on balls they drove.

No one talks about the "astro turf" years like they do the "steroid era" but it had an impact on every level of the game.

Edited by SemperFi
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

OPS is at .742 in Bowie.  I saw mlb pipeline just listed the guy that was drafted directly behind him at #100.  With another 5-7 spots being available due to propsect graduation on top 100 lists, I bet he makes a couple of offseason lists.  

Bowden had him at no. 36.   His list excludes anyone who’s debuted in the majors, so maybe he’d be more like 50th if the list included all the recently debuted players who are still rookie eligible.  I don’t put much stock in Bowden’s opinions but I certainly think it suggests Bradfield will be on some radar screens.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.796 OPS in Bowie. 71 SB. Will he get to 80 SB?  Not that it matters. 

Bowie has 5 games left to play, so no, he’s not getting to 80.   

I believe Tim Raines Jr. holds the modern Orioles’ affiliate record, with 81 SB for Frederick in 2000.   Luis Valdez had 71 at Delmarva and Aberdeen in 2022, so Bradfield is in good position to top that.  

Bradfield (86%) has a higher success rate than either Raines (81%) or Valdez (83%).   He’s also had 102 fewer PA than Raines did and 42 fewer than Valdez.   So you could argue that Bradfield’s 2024 season was the greatest base running season in modern O’s affiliate history.