Pittsburgh Pirates 2024 (and Paul Skenes watch)

Frobby

33 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

64 pitches along this afternoon, Skenes is 12 up and 12 down with 9 strikeouts.

No hitter through 5.  1 walk,  10 K's on 81 pitches versus the Cubbies.  Not too shabby.

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Struck out 7 straight to start the game.

No hitter through 6.  1 walk,  11 strikeouts but pitch count is around 100.  Will they bring him out for the 7th (Pirates lead 8-0)?

10 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

No hitter through 6.  1 walk,  11 strikeouts but pitch count is around 100.  Will they bring him out for the 7th (Pirates lead 8-0)?

The answer was no, they did not bring Skenes out for the 7th.

Looked just like the numbers.  Watched the first two innings.  Michael Busch did well to run a 3-2 count and foul off (way late) 3-4 fastballs before going down on a slider.   This is Mason Miller for 6 innings.  Utterly dominant.

Skenes goes tomorrow afternoon.  IIRC, it's being broadcast on MLB Network, I thought I heard that earlier this week.  Gonna put my MLB.tv to good use, though.

I will say it's a shame that such a talent is being wasted on the Pirates.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Skenes goes tomorrow afternoon.  IIRC, it's being broadcast on MLB Network, I thought I heard that earlier this week.  Gonna put my MLB.tv to good use, though.

I will say it's a shame that such a talent is being wasted on the Pirates.  

I mean, bad teams are going to get top draft picks, that’s how it’s supposed to work. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but the Pirates have been bad for a long time and show no signs of being able to get better.  

If only the Rooney family could purchase the Pirates.  Or any decent owner, really.  An O's/Buccos World Series would be so damn awesome. 

Had no idea it was actually a thing back in 1994:  https://www.upi.com/Archives/1994/09/16/Rooney-family-interested-in-Pirates/4891779688000/

Edited by Goober Noodles

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but the Pirates have been bad for a long time and show no signs of being able to get better.  

They could be competitive if they get a bullpen. Their starters as a whole aren’t bad at all. Skenes, Jones, and Keller are a great top 3. 

Id rather see Skenes in Pittsburgh than the AL East, or the Dodgers/Braves. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, Moose Milligan said:

The sideline reporter for the Pirates just asked a kid in the crowd what his favorite thing about Paul Skenes was.  

His answer:  "His mustache...and LIVVY DUNNE!"

Lol

• Haha 1