Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

Tonight was my first time seeing him in person, and I've always in my head heard his name Sam-u-el, but it sounded like the Bowie PA announcer was pronuncing Basallo's first name the way Juan Samuel's last name sounds.

Jackson Jobe did stay in third time through the order for three matchups.

PA1 was the double, a bloop towards the right center gap the RF couldn't get.     The AA RF perhaps had a longer way to go as Basallo needs playing deep, the kind of hits fearsome sluggers kind of "deserve" but I think a good MLB outfielder catches it.

PA2 was a decently solidly hit fly foul down the LF line where the outfielder I guess made a nice play outside the line - we couldn't see end of play from 3B side.

PA3 was 2 on, 2 out, and Jobe got him to roll over to the 2B for a 4-3 on the 2nd pitch.

All three PA were quick - 3, 4 and 2 pitches by my notes.

He saw a reliever in the 8th inning when he picked up the walk.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Final Bowie numbers for 2024: .389/.355/.465, 16 HR, 55 RBI in 106 games, 445 PA.   

Norfolk has 4 weeks left on its schedule, so that will be a nice intro to AAA for him akin to what Stowers got in 2021 (at age 23).  

• Upvote 2

4 weeks to try and climb that off-season rankings mountain.    Near top of list rival Jackson Jobe didn't look that overwhelming last night, though he did smother EBJ pretty well.

Mayo and Basallo I guess overlap a week or two...have they been teammates yet?

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

4 weeks to try and climb that off-season rankings mountain.    Near top of list rival Jackson Jobe didn't look that overwhelming last night, though he did smother EBJ pretty well.

Spring training.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Final Bowie numbers for 2024: .389/.355/.465, 16 HR, 55 RBI in 106 games, 445 PA.   

Norfolk has 4 weeks left on its schedule, so that will be a nice intro to AAA for him akin to what Stowers got in 2021 (at age 23).  

Basallo’s hitting surge as coincided with the big club’s hitting slump. It’s been a much needed shot of optimism for me. 

A big finish for Basallo, after a struggle for the first 6ish weeks in AA. 

Yet another 20 year old phenom in AAA for us. Gunnar, Holliday, and now Basallo. We’ve been really spoiled. Potentially another #1 overall prospect as well. He’s got a chance.

Does Basallo have a chance at a MLB callup mid September?  Who is our current DH vs RHP?  Mounty, and Eloy, haven’t been lighting it up exactly. Adley is struggling too. 

Could we freshen Adley up for the playoffs by going with a Basallo/McCann catching platoon for 2 weeks before the playoffs?  Adley would be the primary DH.

We gotta be all hands on deck. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does Basallo have a chance at a MLB callup mid September?  Who is our current DH vs RHP?  Mounty, and Eloy, haven’t been lighting it up exactly. Adley is struggling too. 

Could we freshen Adley up for the playoffs by going with a Basallo/McCann catching platoon for 2 weeks before the playoffs?  Adley would be the primary DH.

We gotta be all hands on deck. 

I'm never going to say 0 because I don't like absolutes but I'd say somewhere between 0 and 0.01 percent.

• Upvote 1

Not that it matters, but I think one of the Red Sox guys will get Eastern League MVP.    Basallo ended up accumulating about 20% more PA than they did, but they all beat him by about 10 points of wRC+.

Counting stats alone, Basallo ends up at 70 wRC, 2nd to Gage Workman of Erie, a mostly Crash Davis looking fellow.

Red Sox guys AAA's first couple weeks as Basallo and Mayo race with them for top list placements - Roman Anthony has looked like one of the best players in the world, and Kyle Teel has looked like Jackson Holliday or Coby Mayo in their first couple dozen MLB PA.

22 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The next Bash Brothers?

On 8/25/2024 at 5:23 PM, Frobby said:

Holliday got more or less the same treatment last year and Henderson too, thought it was an MLB toe dip. Seems like a good way to do it.

Really hopeful that Basallo can come up sometime mid way through 2025 and give Adley more of a break.