Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

Will the Rays promote Junior Camienero?  He already has 30+ PA in the MLB. 140 PA is the cut off for prospect eligibility. 

Maybe the Nats promote Dylan Crews as well. Holliday is going to lose is status. Hopefully Mayo will. 

Just piecing together if we will yet another #1 prospect. We’ve had it wrapped up for years now. Adley->Gunnar->Holliday->Basallo???

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Will the Rays promote Junior Camienero?  He already has 30+ PA in the MLB. 140 PA is the cut off for prospect eligibility. 

Maybe the Nats promote Dylan Crews as well. Holliday is going to lose is status. Hopefully Mayo will. 

Just piecing together if we will yet another #1 prospect. We’ve had it wrapped up for years now. Adley->Gunnar->Holliday->Basallo???

Skenes was #1 for a while this year before he used up his prospect status.

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Skenes was #1 for a while this year before he used up his prospect status.

So was Wander Franco between Adley and Gunnar.  However, I believe we've had the end of season #1 on some publication going all the way back to Adley.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So was Wander Franco between Adley and Gunnar.  However, I believe we've had the end of season #1 on some publication going all the way back to Adley.  

21 - Adley, 22- Gunnar, 23- Holliday?  I believe Caminiero will still be ahead of Basallo.  Not sure of any others.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Franco was before Adley.   He was the consensus no. 1 prior to the 2020 and 2021 seasons.  Adley went to no. 1 after Franco graduated during the 2021 season.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2024 at 5:28 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Caminero has been promoted today giving Basallo a clear path to our fourth straight offseason #1. Who could challenge him now? Maybe Carson Williams, Dylan Crews, or Jordan Lawlar in some publications.

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2024 at 5:22 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m thinking Basallo has a good shot at Eastern League MVP. Not that it matters. Last year they let him play 9 games in Bowie after A ball. Bowie’s season ends on 9/19. Norfolk on 9/22. Maybe we see it be similar to last year with Basallo and they give him a week or so in AAA at the end of the year. 

Bowie's season ends on 9/15, so it would be a week at Norfolk if he got promoted.

Eastern League MVP is probably there, and I suppose I could see that being considered a safer path to an elite off-season ranking.

I think we can safely say almost zero chance for 2025 Opening Day.

Spencer Jones could get hot - he and Basallo are 9th and 10th by the counting start wRC.    Hao-Yu Lee is the other prospect aged guy right by them.     The Red Sox guys got their AAA bumps and the rest of the leaders are Crash Davises, just judging by Age.

He'll be on Mayo Watch next year, and we'll then have a view how many Ryans are on the ballclub, or if James McCann remains as a top-tier backup catcher.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is the AFL a possibility?  Winter ball?  I say let him play one of those, but only as a 1B. 

I would be surprised if he didn't play winter ball. I am a little surprised he didn't do so last year. He was a Dominican Winter League first round pick last year.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He didn't come out right away.  He ran the bases and even played 1B the next half inning.   He didn't look in any discomfort with the glove on at 1B.

I watched the first inning and the view of the pitch hitting Basallo was blocked by the pitcher's body.  Basallo's reaction of throwing his bat (and frustration tantrum) must have been representative of not much meat where the ball hit.  Watching Basallo while on 2nd he kept flexing his left hand and I may have seen a welt beginning to form about 4" below his  wrist  in line with his pinky.  He seemed distracted by it and uncomfortable but something any other player should have and would have played thru.  I can understand if he had to catch 100-125 more pitches and rotating/twisting to adjust... but over at first the most action he seemed to get was when he would take off and put back on his glove nearly every pitch.

I have been critical of Basallo's fragility, or what I deem lack of toughness...  I'm not certain if it him or his coaches being extra cautious of him but you don't hear or see him arguing to stay in the game.  But either way... the fact he gets any sort of ding or scratch and he gets pulled from the game makes me think that the if/when he is promoted to MLB, and the intent is for him to catch some, the O's will have to carry 3 catchers.

Or they may need to invest in something to protect him all over?  41xSEEoj4KL._AC_US100_.jpg

13 minutes ago, CHIP said:

I watched the first inning and the view of the pitch hitting Basallo was blocked by the pitcher's body.  Basallo's reaction of throwing his bat (and frustration tantrum) must have been representative of not much meat where the ball hit.  Watching Basallo while on 2nd he kept flexing his left hand and I may have seen a welt beginning to form about 4" below his  wrist  in line with his pinky.  He seemed distracted by it and uncomfortable but something any other player should have and would have played thru.  I can understand if he had to catch 100-125 more pitches and rotating/twisting to adjust... but over at first the most action he seemed to get was when he would take off and put back on his glove nearly every pitch.

I have been critical of Basallo's fragility, or what I deem lack of toughness...  I'm not certain if it him or his coaches being extra cautious of him but you don't hear or see him arguing to stay in the game.  But either way... the fact he gets any sort of ding or scratch and he gets pulled from the game makes me think that the if/when he is promoted to MLB, and the intent is for him to catch some, the O's will have to carry 3 catchers.

Or they may need to invest in something to protect him all over?  41xSEEoj4KL._AC_US100_.jpg

I appreciate your update and observations, but I'm surprised your questioning Basallo's toughness. Minor League managers don't take any chances with big prospects and are under strict rules when it comes to taking guys out or not playing them. I don't think anybody who catches professional lacks toughness. 

Let's hope nothing was broke. I didn't see the injury but I don't like the reaction that you stated. 

• Upvote 1