O’s Acquire RP Yohan Ramírez from Mets

ArtVanDelay

The Orioles have acquired reliever Yohan Ramírez from the Mets for cash, the teams announced. New York had designated the righty for assignment on Monday. Baltimore’s 40-man roster now sits at capacity.

While his stuff has clearly intrigued a handful of teams, Ramírez’s scattershot command has made him something of a volatile middle reliever. Perhaps more importantly, he’s also out of minor league options. Teams can’t send him to Triple-A without first running him through waivers, which no club has yet achieved.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/orioles-acquire-yohan-ramirez-from-mets.html

Edited by ArtVanDelay
  • Upvote 2

Listening to Locked on Orioles yesterday, Connor Newcombe thought it was highly likely that Ramirez would be added to our bullpen and Heasley would be optioned.   I’d say that’s even more likely after Heasley’s performance last night.  Ramirez doesn’t have options and we just acquired him when the Mets put him on waivers, so we didn’t acquire him just to waive him ourselves.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

we just acquired him when the Mets put him on waivers, so we didn’t acquire him just to waive him ourselves.  

I can't tell about that just yet.    Elias does acquire players to see if he can pass them through waivers and get them to Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I can't tell about that just yet.    Elias does acquire players to see if he can pass them through waivers and get them to Norfolk.

Whether that happens immediately or after a game or two, I expect that is the general plan with Ramirez. We had the luxury of a couple open 40-man spots, so it makes sense to grab a fringe player with decent stuff that has a good chance to pass through outright waivers. I guess counter argument would be: why would Orioles need to trade for him if no team was going to claim him?

The other reason he might not get outrighted immediately is our lack of right-hand relief options on the 40-man. The only ones are Baker and Ort. Despite being  our hardest throwing options (outside of Charles), they’ve both been terrible so far.  

Among non-40 man relievers, the only righty who has been decent is Albert Suarez (assuming we’re not skipping Keegan Gillies over AAA). However, he is out of options so couldn’t be removed from MLB active roster in future without exposure to waivers. I expect Elias to wait for more visibility into Bradish/Means/Perez status before Suarez becomes a consideration.

Edited by Warehouse
  • Upvote 1

From Roch yesterday:

“Manager Brandon Hyde said reliever Yohan Ramírez, acquired from the Mets yesterday for cash considerations, should report to the team within the next few days.

“The Orioles will need to make a corresponding move on the 26-man roster.”

That certainly doesn’t sound like they’re going to try putting him through waivers right now.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Roch yesterday:

“Manager Brandon Hyde said reliever Yohan Ramírez, acquired from the Mets yesterday for cash considerations, should report to the team within the next few days.

“The Orioles will need to make a corresponding move on the 26-man roster.”

That certainly doesn’t sound like they’re going to try putting him through waivers right now.

After Heasley's outing yesterday, I'd be shocked if he's not optioned back to Norfolk with Ramirez taking his spot. Saying that, Ramirez is not really a length guy.

His sinker isn't moving quite as much as it did last year and is down a little bit in velocity, but he's added a curveball that has good movement and no one has hit yet. He seems like a 7th option bullpen guy similar to Heasley, but with added ability get some groundballs.

The Orioles are probably going to have a revolving door with that 7th bullpen option this again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

After Heasley's outing yesterday, I'd be shocked if he's not optioned back to Norfolk with Ramirez taking his spot. Saying that, Ramirez is not really a length guy.

His sinker isn't moving quite as much as it did last year and is down a little bit in velocity, but he's added a curveball that has good movement and no one has hit yet. He seems like a 7th option bullpen guy similar to Heasley, but with added ability get some groundballs.

The Orioles are probably going to have a revolving door with that 7th bullpen option this again.

Unless Ramirez is lights out I’ll assume he’s gone when Means bumps Irvin (most likely) or Wells from the rotation and into the bullpen.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Unless Ramirez is lights out I’ll assume he’s gone when Means bumps Irvin (most likely) or Wells from the rotation and into the bullpen.  

We are weeks away from Means being ready.  Anything can happen in the mean time.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

We are weeks away from Means being ready.  Anything can happen in the mean time.

Ok.  If the world doesn’t end, Ramirez probably goes when Means comes back.