4/21 @ Royals

Morgan423

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

This is the worst debut from a super hyped prospect since Jared Kelenic. Hopefully it doesn’t end similarly. He looks so in his head right now. 

Kelenic took a few tries but now is starting to show signs in Atlanta.  

5 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Can’t blame Jackson there, no one would expect a fastball right down the middle on a 3-2 count.

Has Holliday, with the Orioles, tried to hit the ball to LF? I would think that's critical in his trying to hit LHers. In that bases-loaded at bat, the first two pitches were around the outside corner (both borderline, one called a strike). They  looked like they were made to be served into left field. Holliday didn't budge. Did he take outside pitches to LF in AA and AAA? I recall seeing blasts to CF, but not hits to left.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is having no productive at-bats.  There isn’t a single type of pitch he has thrown any competence with.  I am afraid this level of struggle is a swing issue that needs work. 

Not true, hit one hard earlier.  

Like Cowser last year, he’s hit some hard hit balls right at defenders. People just don’t wanna see that though. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

Ump inserts himself in the game in a crucial spot in favor of KC. Lame.

Can Holliday get an approved medical exemption to take Adderall like Davis did?

image.png.f583ea0c9352debcfa1646cc227279b8.png

I'm not a hitting expert by any means, but how in the world would someone get a hit by turning their head and watching the baseball sail into the zone like this, while leaning or crouching down like he does?

To me it seems like you need to look at the ball as it comes out of the hand, and decide if you're going to swing at that point. He saw "ball" (or "I don't know") coming out of the hand, decided not to swing, and is guiltily watching the baseball come into the zone - a completely useless action that will not help him in any way. He needs to break the habit of turning the head to look at the baseball. You either swing at it or you let it go by.

His stance also looks extremely unfit for being able to get the bat out into the zone with any kind of bat speed. Looks like a stance that a little league hitting coach would notice and tell him to adjust.

He seems to crouch and move his head a bit as the ball comes in but if so it’s just a glitch.   No way if that was his normal way of hitting that he would have hit like he did in the minors. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I REALLY hate to say it, but Holliday needs to be sent down...sorry...he's awful right now..

I think we are reaching that point.   They probably don't do it in the middle of a road trip.   But if he doesn't turn things around in Anaheim, I think he has to go down by the weekend.

(However, I just checked and it looks like we see 2 lefties in the 3 games in Anaheim).

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Has Holliday, with the Orioles, tried to hit the ball to LF? I would think that's critical in his trying to hit LHers. In that bases-loaded at bat, the first two pitches were around the outside corner (both borderline, one called a strike). They  looked like they were made to be served into left field. Holliday didn't budge. Did he take outside pitches to LF in AA and AAA? I recall seeing blasts to CF, but not hits to left.

He was really good at going oppo in the minors too. Seems like he's trying to pull everything and is now guessing at the plate. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, joelala said:

This is the worst debut from a super hyped prospect since Jared Kelenic. Hopefully it doesn’t end similarly. He looks so in his head right now. 

He will be fine. Even if he has to go back to AAA for a reset. Too much talent not to succeed.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not true, hit one hard earlier.  

Like Cowser last year, he’s hit some hard hit balls right at defenders. People just don’t wanna see that though. 

He has hit very few balls hard and is striking out at over a 50% rate.  And the line out wasn’t productive.  No one was moved up a base by it.