O's cut Guthrie's salary=Bush-league

df1570

Some literally absurd reactions here. People either don't understand how this part of team control works or are just looking for another way to bash the O's. The team is under no obligation to pay him above league minimum, and they're paying him in line with his service time.

How did they mistreat Brian Roberts?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no salary cap to contend with...

The guy is their #1 starter.

Why stick it up his rear end like that? Just keep him at $770,000 and move on.

There's no need to cut his salary...it's $120,000. For once, just do the right thing. Just leave the guy's deal at $770,000. He's done everything they've asked of him and he's the only half-real-thing they have at the major league level right now.

Another example of mistreating one of their prime guys, a la Brian Roberts for the last two years.

I know, they could have cut it by 20% but instead they only cut it by 15%.

They're good guys after all.

I know this is going to open up a whole 'nother can of worms, but how did they mistreat Roberts the last two years.

This is a business, get over yourself thinking this is supposed to be an altruistic activity.

There's no salary cap to contend with...

The guy is their #1 starter.

Why stick it up his rear end like that? Just keep him at $770,000 and move on.

There's no need to cut his salary...it's $120,000. For once, just do the right thing. Just leave the guy's deal at $770,000. He's done everything they've asked of him and he's the only half-real-thing they have at the major league level right now.

Another example of mistreating one of their prime guys, a la Brian Roberts for the last two years.

I know, they could have cut it by 20% but instead they only cut it by 15%.

They're good guys after all.

1. They didn't cut his salary, his salary went UP. He lost the bonus that Cleveland had put in his original contract.

2. The more we pay him now, the more we have to pay him when he is in arbitration, less now, less later.

What aren't you getting?

If Guthrie has a rough season is he gonna give some money back?

Guthrie is gonna get paid, and paid a lot, very soon. Go watch Little League if you don't wanna pay attention to any of the economic or business aspects of the sport. This move will save the Orioles millions over the course of Guthrie's arbitration process. It was the right move.

It has nothing to do with Guthrie's agent, this wasn't a negotiation. The Orioles can elect to pay Guthrie whatever they want. They are paying him more than they could, so they actually are being more than fair.

To call this "bush-league" is a huge pile of bullcrap.

You're right, I was just trying to be a smart...

Guts is just stuck in the arb. years at a late age, but i also have a hard time feeling sorry for rich people. Which is how I thought the op was trying to make me feel.

Guts will get his soon enough. To call it bush is lazy.

It has nothing to do with Guthrie's agent, this wasn't a negotiation. The Orioles can elect to pay Guthrie whatever they want. They are paying him more than they could, so they actually are being more than fair.

To call this "bush-league" is a huge pile of bullcrap.

Same as they did to Markakis last year, 2 years ago? 'Cept Kakes' deal was a little bush-league...

Anyways, if Guthrie continues his already fine career, and I expect he will continue, he WILL get paid! Substantially so.

You're right, I was just trying to be a smart...

Guts is just stuck in the arb. years at a late age, but i also have a hard time feeling sorry for rich people. Which is how I thought the op was trying to make me feel.

Guts will get his soon enough. To call it bush is lazy.

Exactly... anyone with their eyes open right now can clearly see all of the economic disaster around us. To start a thread like this, with basically no merit at all is beyond absurd IMO.

1. They didn't cut his salary, his salary went UP. He lost the bonus that Cleveland had put in his original contract.

2. The more we pay him now, the more we have to pay him when he is in arbitration, less now, less later.

What aren't you getting?

He doesn't understand the business side of things. He would probably want us to give him $5M now even though it is unheard of for a 0-3 guy.

Everything with the team is always about "saving millions".

I thought that's why they started MASN a few years back?

Isn't that why I contribute $2.65 a month to my cable bill...so they can spend money on baseball players?

That's what they said in 2006 when MASN went on the air.

"We'll start a network, take the cable systems to court and mandate that they carry us, then we'll get money from the cable customers and make THEM contribute to our bottom line."

"Saving millions" in arbitration and all that gunk...how about TREATING THE GUY RIGHT now and not worrying about arbitration...hoping that perhaps if you do right by the guy, he'll actually appreciate you down the road?

"Saving millions"...

That's so funny.

In three years, we'll all be paying $3.50 a month for MASN anyway. They'll be getting $150 million from Comcast by then.

Everything with the team is always about "saving millions".

I thought that's why they started MASN a few years back?

Isn't that why I contribute $2.65 a month to my cable bill...so they can spend money on baseball players?

That's what they said in 2006 when MASN went on the air.

"We'll start a network, take the cable systems to court and mandate that they carry us, then we'll get money from the cable customers and make THEM contribute to our bottom line."

"Saving millions" in arbitration and all that gunk...how about TREATING THE GUY RIGHT now and not worrying about arbitration...hoping that perhaps if you do right by the guy, he'll actually appreciate you down the road?

"Saving millions"...

That's so funny.

In three years, we'll all be paying $3.50 a month for MASN anyway. They'll be getting $150 million from Comcast by then.

It is a business. What business isn't interested in reducing their costs and maximizing their profits.

Do you understand the renewal process? Yes or no?

I'm blown away that someone of this opinion gets paid to voice said opinions.

I'm blown away that someone doesn't see the merit in treating employees right.

Then again, that's not exactly been the O's best trait over the years.

However, I would expect people "in the real world" to get it -- cutting someone's salary who has done a good job for you "just because they can" is not a method towards improving working relationships with your employees.

And the defending of the team continues in...3...2...1

It is a business. What business isn't interested in reducing their costs and maximizing their profits.

Do you understand the renewal process? Yes or no?

Sure, I understand it very well.

They could have cut his salary by 20%

Or 15%

Or 10%

Or 0%

Or any percent in between.

They cut it by 15%.

Could have cut it by 0%.

Cut it by 15%.

That makes them scoundrels in my book.

Cutting someone's salary "just because they can" doesn't make it the right thing to do.

That's also what I understand.

Archived