O's cut Guthrie's salary=Bush-league

df1570

So you don't understand the irony of being on a message board complaining about the teams credibility and claiming that they are bush league for signing a pitcher to a 700k contract while completely avoiding my questions about Casey.

Casey Willet was fired and has a family. He would love to get 700k.

So would I.

I didn't fire Casey, therefore, I don't have any business commenting on his situation.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it's not really INCORRECT.

Not at all.

They didn't have to cut his salary.

They ELECTED to do that.

It wasn't a mandate.

I'm sure I'll bring it up tomorrow.

After all, it's baseball season.

Gotta get my O's fix in, you know...

I don't think the OH is FULL of apologists but a good portion of the Apology-Train has boarded here tonight.

You know you are right. With all the love and the great chemistry at spring training, they should all get more money! Why not?

You don't think Markakis would notice if the Orioles suddenly decided to pay "over time" for Guthrie? How about Wieters? Penn? Matusz? That rotation gets really expensive really quick if we pay them "what they are worth" in their first 3 years.

Precedent? Maybe not a good one?

The bottom line is this isn't about Guthrie. This is about you and the Orioles, and everybody knows it. I used to listen to your radio show.:o

Happy Ratings!

The only numbers I think are important are these:

Jeremy Guthrie made $770,000 last year playing for the Orioles.

This year, he'll make $650,000 playing for the Orioles.

The Orioles are responsible for cutting his salary by 15%.

They COULD have cut it by 20%.

Or, they could have done the right thing and not cut it at all and kept him at $770,000.

But, they didn't.

Last year, he made $770,000.

This year, he makes $650,000.

He'll make $120,000 less because the Orioles had the right to cut his salary by $120,000 and they did.

Those are the numbers.

Heh, I was joking, but you're saying you literally did just see two numbers and Jeremy Guthrie and completely ignore the context?

Can you go far enough into neg rep to actually turn into a black hole of rep? That's what I heard but I've never seen it.

But your unhappy with the way the Orioles treat/mistreat you? So you complain about everything they do that you don't agree with. Whether your right or wrong. And it doesn't matter if anyone agrees with you. It's just your personal vendetta against the Orioles FO.

No, I'm unhappy with the fact that the team hasn't won since 1997 and that attendance at OPACY is at an all-time low.

And, yes, anything they do that I deem "wrong", I have the right to complain about. Just like anything they do right, I have the right to applaud.

You don't have to agree with me.

I never said you did.

You don't think Markakis would notice if the Orioles suddenly decided to pay "over time" for Guthrie? How about Wieters? Penn? Matusz? That rotation gets really expensive really quick if we pay them "what they are worth" in their first 3 years.

Precedent? Maybe not a good one

Ding Ding Ding Ding.... We have a winner.

Couldn't tell you about that. I have a great life. Fortunately.

Well you sure complain a hell of a whole lot.

Just out of curiosity, is there some kind of language in your WNST contract that says you have to misrepresent everything that involves the Orioles?

Guthrie is clearly not getting a pay cut, yet you tried to start an inflammatory thread stating he is. For someone who's an alleged member of the sports media to not understand something so trivial, well it says a lot.

Did you sign Jeremy Guthrie?

No, but I'm allowed to comment on him because he's part of the baseball team that I help fund with my contribution to their TV network.

I'm now a stock-holder, for better or worse.

Lately, or, since 1997, at least, it's been FOR WORSE.

No, I'm unhappy with the fact that the team hasn't won since 1997 and that attendance at OPACY is at an all-time low.

And, yes, anything they do that I deem "wrong", I have the right to complain about. Just like anything they do right, I have the right to applaud.

I never said you did.

So if tomorrow the O's decided, hey Drew's right we are being "bush league" and decided to increase every player on the 40 man roster by 10%. Would you be in here talking about how great of a move that is by the Orioles, or would you be here bashing them for being financially irresponsible?

I never said you did.

Guthrie's paychecks every two weeks are gonna be higher this year than they were last year. After the bonus was paid, which probably happened at the start of the year, his base was much lower. He'll probably have a slightly higher base salary than he did last year. Shouldn't we commend the Orioles for "doing the right thing" then?

Archived