O's cut Guthrie's salary=Bush-league

df1570

You mean doing something stupid like...signing Omar Daal?

Or Sammy Sosa?

Or trading for Jaret Wright?

Or having Jay Payton go through the motions for two years while securing $5 million?

How is NOT cutting Jeremy Guthrie's salary stupid?

He made $770,000 last year.

Just keep him at $770k.

That's all.

All of those moves we stupid. Doesn't mean paying Guthrie more and costing the team millions needlessly over the next few years would be smart.

If Koji ends up being a great signing and pitches far better than we expect, and is worth far more than $5M a year, would it be "smart" to just give him extra money after the season?

You don't just give away money you don't need to. That's a terrible business model.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a load of bombastic crap.

Guthrie's fine, nobody cut his salary. His bonus ran out, that's all.

He's gonna be in arb-years Real Soon and will make multiple $millions. I bet he's not whining.

But why consider all the facts? Just knee-jerk all over the place to see if you can get folks all riled-up about nothing.

The OP is a blatant ploy to stir up angry emotion just for the sake of angry emotion.

This kind of mindless drivel is exactly why I don't listen to talk radio.

Some people say that any opinion is valid. I don't buy that, and this kind of vacuous noise is perfect example of why I don't.

You mean doing something stupid like...signing Omar Daal?

Or Sammy Sosa?

Or trading for Jaret Wright?

Or having Jay Payton go through the motions for two years while securing $5 million?

Just keep him at $770k.

That's all.

So your blaming MacPhail for the wrong ways of past regimes. Original. :rolleyes:

Cutting Guthrie's salary is not stupid because it is a business decision. All players understand that baseball is a business, something you don't understand. Guthrie knows his pay day is coming at the end of this season, his first time through arbitration.

You are really upset that his salary was cut by about $100K. It isn't really that big of a deal. You just want to find any reason to bad mouth the Orioles.

Of course, you will say I am defending them, when really I am just attacking your illogical reasoning.

Not as much as your lack of credibility needs a bail out. You are unreal. It's honestly hard to believe you've got a radio show.

And the funny thing is that i'm not an O's apologist. I call them out on stuff all of the time. I gladly eat crow when i'm wrong.

There's nothing wrong with having an open mind and willing to criticize the Orioles. There's something very wrong to be so close minded that the O's can't do anything right at all. You're a joke.

The O's have done PLENTY right this off-season.

PLENTY.

Road uniforms.

Signing Markakis.

Pie-for-Olson deal.

Signing Roberts.

Signing Wigginton.

Shipping Hernandez out.

Those are among the right things they've done that I've applauded.

Of course, you won't mention that. That would defeat the purpose of your witch hunt.

But cutting the salary of the team's best pitcher when you didn't have to is bush league.

I understand the context of it very well.

I saw the story from The O's staff...I mean, The Sun.

I get it.

The O's could have cut Guthrie's salary by 20%.

They also had the option of "doing the right thing" and not cutting it at all.

That WAS an option to them.

They cut it by 15%.

I understand it very well.

Scoundrels.

You can beat this drum all day, but its still incorrect given the context of the situation.

Hey man, if you are short of material for your show tomorrow, then I guess this is a great way to get it. I'm sure we'll be reading more out of context stuff tomorrow about how the OH is full of O's apologists; again. :rolleyestf:

The O's have done PLENTY right this off-season.

PLENTY.

Road uniforms.

Signing Markakis.

Pie-for-Olson deal.

Signing Roberts.

Signing Wigginton.

Shipping Hernandez out.

Those are among the right things they've done that I've applauded.

Of course, you won't mention that. That would defeat the purpose of your witch hunt.

But cutting the salary of the team's best pitcher when you didn't have to is bush league.

Of course I won't, that's because it's not genuine. It's as obvious as the sun being bright. I mean, the above list was a good job by the O's? Figure that out. Genius insight, Drew.

And the irony of saying i'm on a witch hunt? Again, it's your lack of credibility that needs a bailout more than anything else.

Just keep him at $770k.

That's all.

People have posted why it's not stupid a half dozen times in this thread. Ready, because I am going to say it one more time. It's not stupid because it saves money in the long term by keeping the arbitration figures he will be awarded over the next three seasons lower. Guthrie will get paid and paid handsomely during his arbitration years. I'm sure that he understands that baseball is a business and the current uncertain economy makes it difficult to justify giving players more money than they are entitled to out of goodwill.

You can beat this drum all day, but its still incorrect given the context of the situation.

Hey man, if you are short of material for your show tomorrow, then I guess this is a great way to get it. I'm sure we'll be reading more out of context stuff tomorrow about how the OH is full of O's apologists; again. :rolleyestf:

No, it's not really INCORRECT.

Not at all.

They didn't have to cut his salary.

They ELECTED to do that.

It wasn't a mandate.

I'm sure I'll bring it up tomorrow.

After all, it's baseball season.

Gotta get my O's fix in, you know...

I don't think the OH is FULL of apologists but a good portion of the Apology-Train has boarded here tonight.

Cutting someone's salary "just because they can" doesn't make it the right thing to do.OOh, missed this one. You know that Casey had a family, right?

I think we can tear down df's "opinion" on this matter without having to bring in other situations that aren't relevant to his issue on this.

Of course I won't, that's because it's not genuine. It's as obvious as the sun being bright. I mean, the above list was a good job by the O's? Figure that out. Genius insight, Drew.

And the irony of saying i'm on a witch hunt? Again, it's your lack of credibility that needs a bailout more than anything else.

I'll get in the credibility-line right behind MacPhail and the team -- they just cut the salary of their best pitcher when they didn't have to do it.

I think we can tear down df's "opinion" on this matter without having to bring in other situations that aren't relevant to his issue on this.

You can't tear down my opinion that the O's are scamming this kid out of $120,000 when they didn't need to do it.

They're charlatans.

Period.

I don't think the OH is FULL of apologists but a good portion of the Apology-Train has boarded here tonight.
You can paint with broad brushes all you want.

The bottom line is this wasn't a bush-league move. Everybody is entitle to their opinions, but that doesn't mean all opinions are correct. Yours on this matter is wrong.

They didn't cut his salary. They just no longer have to pay him any of his signing bonus. If you look at it in terms of the bonus and the base, they are probably actually paying him more this year in base salary. And I'm sure there will be a bunch of incentives in his deal to earn more (he had a bunch of incentives in the deal he signed last year).

I guess you don't see the irony of any of this do ya, Drew?

The irony of what? Everyone running to the team's aid after they just did the Ned Beatty/Deliverance treatment to Jeremy Guthrie?

I'm not sure where the irony is on that one.

Archived