FCL Orioles 2024

Frobby

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s getting pretty close to put up or shut up time for our Latin American program.  This isn’t 2018 anymore.  Perez has been on the job for 5+ years.  First two years, we all understand he was playing catch-up because a lot of these kids make commitments 2 years before they can be formally signed.   But that really shouldn’t have impacted our last three signing classes, populating the Carolina League, FCL and DSL by now.   I haven’t really drilled down, but it feels like we are still getting a below average share of the talent down there, based on the record of those teams and just skimming the individual leaderboards.  Last year, Delmarva was 56-74 and the FCL team was 22-32.   The players on this Delmarva team are either holdovers from last year or guys promoted from the FCL, so it’s not surprising that Delmarva is pretty bad.  Our two DSL teams were 35-19 and 20-35, so 55-54 collectively in a league where 20 MLB teams have two affiliates while the other 10 have just one (and therefore can concentrate their talent in one team).   That gives me some hope that our FCL team will be more competitive this year, though their first two games were uninspiring.  

We had 3 or 4 guys from one class (2022?) make the FCL 2024 top 20 prospects list at the end of the season.  DeLeon is doing well and Arias, Tavera, and Sosa are off to slow starts.   That was the first class where I’d say we had caught up to everyone else.   Now we’ll see how Almeyda and Liranzo (2023 class do in the FCL) but they and Koby Perez will ultimately be judged by how they do in Delmarva and how many become contributors at the ML level.

I’d say Basallo, Bencosme, Chace, Portes, DeLeon are a decent starter kit but we certainly need to see a few more top prospects emerge.

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s getting pretty close to put up or shut up time for our Latin American program.  This isn’t 2018 anymore.  Perez has been on the job for 5+ years.  First two years, we all understand he was playing catch-up because a lot of these kids make commitments 2 years before they can be formally signed.   But that really shouldn’t have impacted our last three signing classes, populating the Carolina League, FCL and DSL by now.   I haven’t really drilled down, but it feels like we are still getting a below average share of the talent down there, based on the record of those teams and just skimming the individual leaderboards.  Last year, Delmarva was 56-74 and the FCL team was 22-32.   The players on this Delmarva team are either holdovers from last year or guys promoted from the FCL, so it’s not surprising that Delmarva is pretty bad.  Our two DSL teams were 35-19 and 20-35, so 55-54 collectively in a league where 20 MLB teams have two affiliates while the other 10 have just one (and therefore can concentrate their talent in one team).   That gives me some hope that our FCL team will be more competitive this year, though their first two games were uninspiring.  

I'm a fan of Koby's and I think he's done a great job down there under some difficult circumstances. I'm hopeful the new training facility down there will help get more talent to sign with the Orioles.

Saying that, I agree that we need to start seeing more guys out of that program able to compete well once they hit the states. I know some got upset at more just [providing facts about the players who are failing when they get to A-ball but it's just the truth. Outside of Basallo and now Bencosme to a lesser extent, none of the international guys have had any real success once they hit Delmarva.

So it's one of two things at this point. Kobe and his team are missing a lot (I haven't researched to see how others teams Latin American players are doing) or they are not being prepared well to compete at full season ball levels. It's really weird how they can show pretty good plate discipline and some pop in the FCL, then look like they have no business facing Caroline League pitchers.

And before the excuse is, "They're young," they're not that much younger than the other teams that are beating them up. 

There was a lot of money spent on Maikol Hernandez, Braylin Tavera and Luis Almeyda and while the book is not finished on Tavera and Almeyda by any means, they are going to have to show something here soon. Good young players with major league promise typically can compete with older players. Basallo has done it. The special ones do. 

It's a little weird that Liranzo hasn't played the first two games either. Either he's banged up or they just don't think he's ready to compete against FCL pitching because he should be a priority play. 

Now it's not time to give up on any of these guys (minus Hernandez is just a miss) I mentioned and Thomas Sosa has hit a little bit and is competing though his K's are pretty high. It's just time for some of these guys to step up.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm a fan of Koby's and I think he's done a great job down there under some difficult circumstances. I'm hopeful the new training facility down there will help get more talent to sign with the Orioles.

Saying that, I agree that we need to start seeing more guys out of that program able to compete well once they hit the states. I know some got upset at more just [providing facts about the players who are failing when they get to A-ball but it's just the truth. Outside of Basallo and now Bencosme to a lesser extent, none of the international guys have had any real success once they hit Delmarva.

So it's one of two things at this point. Kobe and his team are missing a lot (I haven't researched to see how others teams Latin American players are doing) or they are not being prepared well to compete at full season ball levels. It's really weird how they can show pretty good plate discipline and some pop in the FCL, then look like they have no business facing Caroline League pitchers.

And before the excuse is, "They're young," they're not that much younger than the other teams that are beating them up. 

There was a lot of money spent on Maikol Hernandez, Braylin Tavera and Luis Almeyda and while the book is not finished on Tavera and Almeyda by any means, they are going to have to show something here soon. Good young players with major league promise typically can compete with older players. Basallo has done it. The special ones do. 

It's a little weird that Liranzo hasn't played the first two games either. Either he's banged up or they just don't think he's ready to compete against FCL pitching because he should be a priority play. 

Now it's not time to give up on any of these guys (minus Hernandez is just a miss) I mentioned and Thomas Sosa has hit a little bit and is competing though his K's are pretty high. It's just time for some of these guys to step up.

I agree with these comments.  I’m willing to be patient and wait to see how all of 2024 unfolds, especially with the youngest guys at Delmarva.  How they finish the year is more important than how they start.  

I did look the other day to see whether the number of 19-year olds we have is unusual.  The answer is no - maybe slightly more than average but there are several teams with as many or more than Delmarva.  

By the way, in addition to not hitting well, their defense is atrocious, second worst in the Carolina League in both errors and unearned runs, and a long way from the league averages.   49 errors compared to league average 37, 38 unearned runs compared to league average 24.    Ugh. 

The facility just opened this spring/winter. You’d have to think having that open will help the initial development in addition to helping with getting bigger names signed. I get we want to see results, but I think with that facility just opening, perhaps the leash is and should be a bit longer than is somewhat implied here. At the very least, they facility has to factor into the analysis. 

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

The facility just opened this spring/winter. You’d have to think having that open will help the initial development in addition to helping with getting bigger names signed. I get we want to see results, but I think with that facility just opening, perhaps the leash is and should be a bit longer than is somewhat implied here. At the very least, they facility has to factor into the analysis. 

It can only help.   

Watched the game today. Not a lot to get excited about, although just one game.

Almeyda unfortunately for me is giving me the M Hernandez vibe. Nothing he did today screamed even solid prospect. Swinging at curves in the dirt, not impressed at all with his D either, arm strength is average at best and should’ve had an error today, but the home scorer was generous and gave a hit. The infield defense was a disaster as you can see Campos charged with 4 errors. Not covering bases on basic plays a lot of confusion very disappointing.

Outfield D on the other hand was solid, Cuevas made a couple very nice plays in center and Benavides had an exceptional throw to gun a guy at third. 

Hitting wise, the one bat I was most impressed with was Bucce and that was before the late HR. Stays in well vs lefties and has a very impressive looking swing. Amparo hit a long HR, but other than that didn’t look good in his other AB’s. Bienvades also had some nice AB’s, Rodriguez was solid at the plate and has a cannon behind the plate, his receiving skills need work. 

Pitching was not good. Wish I could be a bit more positive

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Do we potentially have something in Edwin Amparo? Nice game today and it’s very early but that’s a pretty nice stat line. He’s repeating FCL but didn’t get many ABs last year for whatever reason. 

14 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Do we potentially have something in Edwin Amparo? Nice game today and it’s very early but that’s a pretty nice stat line. He’s repeating FCL but didn’t get many ABs last year for whatever reason. 

Amparo is worth a follow for sure. It's good to see him having some success in the FCL. It would be nice if that translates to Delmarva at some point after their season is over. These Latin players have really struggled with the move to the states and then especially at A-ball or higher. 

On 5/7/2024 at 6:43 PM, Triple Crown said:

Almeyda unfortunately for me is giving me the M Hernandez vibe. Nothing he did today screamed even solid prospect. Swinging at curves in the dirt, not impressed at all with his D either, arm strength is average at best and should’ve had an error today, but the home scorer was generous and gave a hit. The infield defense was a disaster as you can see Campos charged with 4 errors. Not covering bases on basic plays a lot of confusion very disappointing.

Outfield D on the other hand was solid, Cuevas made a couple very nice plays in center and Benavides had an exceptional throw to gun a guy at third. 

Hitting wise, the one bat I was most impressed with was Bucce and that was before the late HR. Stays in well vs lefties and has a very impressive looking swing. Amparo hit a long HR, but other than that didn’t look good in his other AB’s. Bienvades also had some nice AB’s, Rodriguez was solid at the plate and has a cannon behind the plate, his receiving skills need work. 

Missed this report, thanks. Watching the boxscores every day and seeing Almeyda go 0-fer just about every game and then looking at his numbers over between the DSL and FCL, Hernandez is certainly the first guy that comes to mind. Obviously it's very early so too early to give up on him, but his start to his professional career after being given such a large bonus has been underwhelming to say the least. 

So far, only Basallo has looked good among the "bonus babies" though De Leon looks really good and was had for $30k. Just goes to show us how big a crapshoot that International scouting is when you need to make agreements with players at 14 or 15 years old. 

I really wish they would put a draft into play with a slotting system. that would take away having to make agreements with 15-year olds and their handlers. But that's a discussion for another day.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:43 PM, Triple Crown said:

Bucce batted LH against a LHP?  I only ask because he’s always been listed as a SH.  BR still shows him that way as does milb.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Bucce batted LH against a LHP?  I only ask because he’s always been listed as a SH.  BR still shows him that way as does milb.

Yes he did, I’ve seen 2 games and he has swung left, had no idea he was listed as a switch hitter. I know I said he looked as good as anyone after game one, but really looked bad the next game and hasn’t done anything since.

Amparo is a switch hitter and has at least looked like there’s potential there

8 minutes ago, Triple Crown said:

Yes he did, I’ve seen 2 games and he has swung left, had no idea he was listed as a switch hitter. I know I said he looked as good as anyone after game one, but really looked bad the next game and hasn’t done anything since.

Amparo is a switch hitter and has at least looked like there’s potential there

Did you get to see Leandro Arias while he was on rehab?   I know he did pretty well down there and doubled twice in his first game back with Delmarva.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Did you get to see Leandro Arias while he was on rehab?   I know he did pretty well down there and doubled twice in his first game back with Delmarva.

Yes I did.  Saw him one game and he also looked solid. I’m not sure him or Amparo will amount to anything, but they were the 2 best players on the field wearing orange and black

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any info or ranking for Miguel Rodriguez, a young (18) catcher at FCL who had four more hits today and is now at .346/.849 after going 4 for 4 with a double and homer (56 AB). Before today, career shows 148 AB, .331/.463/.405//.868 at ages 17-18. (Compare Basallo at age 17 in FCL, .278/.350/.424//.774) 

7 hours ago, now said:

Is there any info or ranking for Miguel Rodriguez, a young (18) catcher at FCL who had four more hits today and is now at .346/.849 after going 4 for 4 with a double and homer (56 AB). Before today, career shows 148 AB, .331/.463/.405//.868 at ages 17-18. (Compare Basallo at age 17 in FCL, .278/.350/.424//.774) 

I was thinking the same thing.