Leitao out at UVA

YardBirds13

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3986162

Gotta say, this is a bit surprising to me.

Yes, we had a terrible season, but I was pretty sure Leitao would get until next season. They have another pretty good Freshman coming in next year, and certainly needed to at least be on the bubble next year, but I thought he would get that chance.

That story says he resigned, but we all know that doesn't happen. Leitao just has enough class to bow out when asked.

I mean, let's not forget, this guy just brought in arguable the best Freshman to play at UVA since Ralph Sampson. I mean the list is pretty short. Bryant Stith, Chris Williams, Sean Singletary. I'm not sure you can argue anyone else who played as well their freshman year at UVA then Landesberg did this season. We have almost the entire team back next year, so it's a bit surprising to me that this happened.

As for a replacement? Man, I can't even begin to pick some names. Obviously the first name people will throw out will be Anthony Grant, and I think he is a good young coach, but I think Grant will have his eyes on a bigger prize than UVA, especially if VCU makes a run in the tournament this year.

Should be interesting to see what names pop up, but gotta say I feel a little bad for Dave. Sure, we were bad the past two seasons, but the guy was ACC COY in '07, and just brought in the best Freshman in a long time to Charlottesville.

I'm sure this will get dwarfed by tournament predictions and such, but thought it should go up here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta say I disagree with this...I think he is a good coach..just needed some time.

Agree, as you know. I've been behind Leitao the whole way. I really thought next year this team had the ability to make a move with Landesberg, Scott, Jones, Zeglinski, Sene, the freshman Spurlock etc. At least make a run at the tournament.

We'll see who they can get to come in. I hope this doesnt make:

a) Jones transfer (there has been rumors)

b) Landesberg leave (there have been rumors)

If either of those things happen I'll be pretty upset.

Don't be shocked to see Jeff Capel leave Oklahoma for Virginia. I can only assume he'd rather be coaching in the ACC. Just a hunch.

Man, hadn't even considered that. That would be incredible. Perhaps he wants to be in the ACC, but I just can't imagine him leaving what he's done at OU to come to a bottom tier ACC team.

Capel should be at the top of our list though, he would definitely get me excited.

Man, hadn't even considered that. That would be incredible. Perhaps he wants to be in the ACC, but I just can't imagine him leaving what he's done at OU to come to a bottom tier ACC team.

Capel should be at the top of our list though, he would definitely get me excited.

Oklahoma is a Football school, and always will be. He'll lose Blake Griffin and possibly Willie Warren too. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at the top of UVA's list.

God, the Wahoos coached by a Dookie.

What next? Is George Steinbrenner going to make a big donation and get the arena named for him?

Hey, at this point, I'll take whoever is gonna win us some games. And Jeff Capel is a damn good coach.

I can't think of anyone I'd rather they get than him. The whole Dukie thing? I'll live with it if he is taking us to the dance every year.

Color me skeptical that we can pull that off though.

YardBirds13, or anyone else, do you think they'd be open to bring back Jeff Jones for a second tour? I can't really remember why he left. I know his teams weren't that good, but I can't remember if there was a specific incident. He's done quite well at American.

The guy before Leitao, Gillen? (I can't quite pull the name), what's he up to these days? And, was there any coach in between Jones and Gillen?

YardBirds13, or anyone else, do you think they'd be open to bring back Jeff Jones for a second tour? I can't really remember why he left. I know his teams weren't that good, but I can't remember if there was a specific incident. He's done quite well at American.

The guy before Leitao, Gillen? (I can't quite pull the name), what's he up to these days? And, was there any coach in between Jones and Gillen?

There was a very public affair between Jones and a cheerleader (I think) which led to his divorce both from his wife and Virginia. It was a real shame considering all of his success there as a player and coach. He did coach some good teams there, taking a team to the Elite Eight in fact. At the end things were bad there, and they needed to make a change. They wanted to get Dave Odom, who was an assistant there forever before getting the Wake job. He didn't want to go from one ACC school to another. He could've taken the UVA job again before Leitao, but knew his time at South Carolina was coming to an end and was looking to retire.

Terry Holland is the coach you're thinking of. He's the athletic director at East Carolina nowadays. Man, did he have some great teams.

There was a very public affair between Jones and a cheerleader which led to his divorce both from his wife and Virginia. It was a real shame considering all of his success there as a player and coach.

Terry Holland is the coach you're thinking of. He's the athletic director at East Carolina nowadays.

Ah, that is kind of coming back to me now.

I believe Holland was prior to Jones. I'm trying to remember if there was a guy between Jones and Gillen. I believe it went Holland--> Jones-->???--> Gillen-->Leitao or if there was nobody in between. I could look it up, but I'm lazy.

Ah, that is kind of coming back to me now.

I believe Holland was prior to Jones. I'm trying to remember if there was a guy between Jones and Gillen. I believe it went Holland--> Jones-->???--> Gillen-->Leitao or if there was nobody in between. I could look it up, but I'm lazy.

No one in between, I'm sure of it.

No one in between, I'm sure of it.

Yup. Jones, Gillen, Leitao.

And yeah, no way Jones is coming back. UVA wouldn't want him back, and I'm sure Jones doesn't want to come back either.

I'm jumping on the "Bring Jeff Capel back to the ACC" bandwagon, thanks to beaner.

Archived