The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Cal Quantrill, for me, may be the most likely target.  The 29-year-old has 1.5 seasons of control, and while he may not be the ToR stud we want, he would be a nice addition to the rotation.

Not a bad choice if the Orioles aren't getting a TOR caliber starter. Even pitching for the Rockies Quantrill's ERA is at a respectable 3.50 in 90 innings pitched.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Cal Quantrill, for me, may be the most likely target.  The 29-year-old has 1.5 seasons of control, and while he may not be the ToR stud we want, he would be a nice addition to the rotation.

I agree, but I also agree with I believe it was @RZNJ who said that the Rockies are their own worst enemy. Is there another team that exists in more of a bubble than the Rockies? They have, IMO, the single most inept baseball operations in the game. They don't sell when they should, they buy when they shouldn't, and they aren't any good at finding talent. It's stunning how they operate. 

They do occasionally make trades though, so it's not out of the realm of possibility if they happen to have a moment of lucidity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Skubal is a stud that will require a package similar to what was posted.

My issue with Skubal is the injury history and the lack of innings. 

OTOH, he’s a stud and a lefty. If we didn’t have to give up any of the big 3 prospects and obviously not trading any of the main young guys on the ML roster, I would trade whatever it took to get him.

Yeah, my only issue with Skubal is the way he throws the ball. Feels similar to a McClanahan from the Rays. The trade would excite me but also ticking time bomb for next TJ.

What is Mountcastles trade value right now at the deadline? Regardless of whether or not it is the right decision to trade him, what do you think he is worth? Is he worth a top 100 prospect? Or a middle of the rotation pitcher with a couple years of control? I don't know I am curious what everyone thinks.  He is arb 2 next year currently making a little over 4M, so probably due at least what 7 or 8M next year?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mountcastle, Kjerstad, Norby, McDermott and Tavera for Skubal.  

Not sure that’s enough for Detroit but that’s the type of deal I would put on the table.

Trading Skubal would be a full rebuild move. If that is their mentality then they won't be interested in Mountcastle due to money and years of control. We would probably need to pony up Basallo.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

No access, any good O's tidbits in there?

Front-line starters
1. Garrett Crochet, LHP, White Sox
2. *Yusei Kikuchi, LHP, Blue Jays
3. *Jack Flaherty, RHP, Tigers
4. *Max Scherzer, RHP, Rangers
5. *Justin Verlander, RHP, Astros (IL)
6. Blake Snell, LHP, Giants ( IL)
7. *Luis Severino, RHP, Mets
8. *Nathan Eovaldi, RHP, Rangers
9. *Frankie Montas, RHP, Reds

Garrett Crochet leads the AL in strikeouts. He is under team control through 2026. (Justin Casterline / Getty Images)
The prize of the trade deadline, at least when it comes to starting pitchers, may not get traded at all. Bartering over White Sox starter Garrett Crochet will be a complicated enterprise, as the converted reliever is already 30 innings clear of his career high, and the acquiring team can’t feel super confident that their new pitcher will even be able to start in the postseason.

The consolation prizes are pretty good. The Tigers’ resurgent Jack Flaherty is in a virtual tie with Crochet atop the strikeout minus walk percentage leaderboard, and that’s powerfully predictive. Yusei Kikuchi has harnessed his stuff with some of the best command numbers in his career this year. The Blue Jays’ starter has seen his fastball and slider combo propel him to nearly top-10 status in Stuff+ over the past month, and the lefty might offer a wrinkle to a contender with an all-righty rotation — like the Brewers?

Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander may not have the stuff they used to, but they still project as above-average pitchers, and their track records suggest they could be huge additions to the right team — but will their organizations sell? Both the Astros and Rangers seem capable of putting in a hot month and getting back in it.

Blake Snell’s lost season and $30 million player option make him a difficult trade target even if his stuff was Cy Young Award-worthy just last year. He’s probably going to be back off the injured list in time for the deadline — which likely won’t be the case for the Marlins’ Jesús Luzardo — but there are a lot of questions about the Giants’ lefty.

Luis Severino is probably the best of the rest, but the fact that his strikeout rate has not returned to his previously established levels will probably make some teams wonder if he’d be a playoff starter. That’s definitely a concern for the trio at the bottom of this group, although Eovaldi has been excellent in nearly 80 career postseason innings. — Eno Sarris 

Mid-rotation starters
1. Jordan Montgomery, LHP, Diamondbacks
2. Tyler Anderson, LHP, Angels
3. Cal Quantrill, RHP, Rockies
4. *Alex Cobb, RHP, Giants (IL)
5. *Andrew Heaney, LHP, Rangers
6. *Michael Lorenzen, RHP, Rangers
7. Paul Blackburn, RHP, A’s (IL)
8. Griffin Canning, RHP, Angels
9. *Kyle Hendricks, RHP, Cubs
10. *Martín Pérez, LHP, Pirates (IL)
11. *Marco Gonzales, LHP, Pirates (IL)
12. *Jose Quintana, LHP, Mets

Tyler Anderson is 11th in the majors in innings. He’s in the second year of a three-year, $39 million deal. (D. Ross Cameron / USA Today)
This group is ranked by our best guess at these pitchers’ true talent abilities, but that’s not the only concern when it comes to the trade deadline. Just a couple of months after most teams passed on signing Jordan Montgomery, will they really give up minor-league assets to pay him again next year? His $20 million option for 2025 vested with his 10th start — he’s made 12 already this season — and could increase to $25 million if he makes 23 starts.

At least when teams are considering the Angels’ Tyler Anderson and the Rockies’ Cal Quantrill, who are either signed or arbitration-eligible next year, they’ll be looking at two starters who are pitching better right now and going to be much less expensive than Montgomery in 2025. (Then again, the teams trading them away will also be considering that they are decent pitchers on decent contracts.)

What’s probably more likely to happen is that the rental pitchers on this list will be the ones on the move (and probably even as the clock expires on the deadline). Nobody in this group is likely to be a playoff starter unless it’s an all-hands-on-deck type of mix-and-match game, so these are the starters who’d help you get to the postseason more than starters who’d help once you’re there.

If Alex Cobb comes back and shows that his splitter is back, he would be the best pitcher on this list. Andrew Heaney has games where he looks like an ace and games where hitters are locked into his slim, low-velo pitch mix. Jose Quintana is the archetype of the bottom of this list: capable, and if available, worth a low price to raise the floor of a playoff-bound rotation. — Eno Sarris 

Late-inning relievers
1. Mason Miller, RHP, A’s
2. *Tanner Scott, LHP, Marlins
3. *Paul Sewald, RHP, Diamondbacks
4. Ryan Pressly, RHP, Astros
5. *Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Pirates
6. *Carlos Estévez, RHP, Angels
7. *Kirby Yates, RHP, Rangers
8. Tyler Rogers, RHP, Giants
9. Kyle Finnegan, RHP, Nationals
10. Michael Kopech, RHP, White Sox
11. Jake Diekman, LHP, Mets