Giving credit where it's due

Posted (edited)

There are many in the organization that deserve credit, whether its players, ownership, management, player development, or coaching.  Many are given their credit, but some not as much as perhaps they should.  So...

I'll start with Mateo, O'Hearn, and Urias.

• Much maligned coming into this season, Mateo has outperformed expectations.  He's been dynamite defensively at 2B and added a spark to the offense before suffering a concussion just recently.  I suspect he'll struggle at bat in the second half, as he's yet to put together a complete offensive season, but he stepped up when we needed him.
  • O'Hearn has been an interesting guy since his arrival.  He surprised most with a strong season last year and his hard hit rate and strikeout rate have actually improved to among the league's best.  He obviously works hard to improve and sets a good example for those that may need to follow his lead.
  • Urias is back to where he usually finds himself, which is a low .700's OPS utility guy that can play well at 3B and 2B.  Many of us, including me, have been ready to move on from Urias, especially after an early season slump, but he has value.  I do suspect the O's will move on at some point, maybe even this year, but the guy has been a professional.

Who would you go with?

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 3

All three are great choices. I think it speaks to the culture in the clubhouse and leadership by Hyde.

Both Mateo and Urias had to have seen the writing on the wall with Westburg up and Holliday coming but have just kept playing baseball and looked to contribute.

Especially Urias - he doesn’t have Mateo’s speed tool so is much more vulnerable, especially after he started the year so poorly. As we’ve seen with the guys coming up, it’s hard to get in a groove with less playing time but he’s hit really well the last 15 games.

I love everything about the Ohearn story. Change of scenery really does work sometimes. I haven’t seen anything about a specific tweak to his swing when he got here but it seems like they or he saw something that got fixed.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

All three are great choices. I think it speaks to the culture in the clubhouse and leadership by Hyde.

Both Mateo and Urias had to have seen the writing on the wall with Westburg up and Holliday coming but have just kept playing baseball and looked to contribute.

Especially Urias - he doesn’t have Mateo’s speed tool so is much more vulnerable, especially after he started the year so poorly. As we’ve seen with the guys coming up, it’s hard to get in a groove with less playing time but he’s hit really well the last 15 games.

I love everything about the Ohearn story. Change of scenery really does work sometimes. I haven’t seen anything about a specific tweak to his swing when he got here but it seems like they or he saw something that got fixed.

Good post. Yeah, it may be a coincidence, but it seems like Urias started hitting when Norby arrived. LOL 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

O'Hearn has benefited for the MLB changing the rules on where fielders can play.

• Upvote 1

Agree with OP. On the pitching side, Coulombe. A 34 year old relief pitcher and I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off but thank heavens they haven't. Like O'Hearn, a great story too. Love to see that blue glove come into a game. Easy to root for. 

• Upvote 1

You can toss in Cole Irvin for me.  He's been far better than expected with an ERA+ better than 97 (129 in 2024) for the first time in his 6-year career.  

He fits OPACY well in the long term although his splits are not much different so far on an adjusted basis and gives the Orioles a more balanced L/R rotation.  In addition, he's pitched as needed as a starter/reliever.  He gets the O'Hearn Award for the most improved Oriole of 2024.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

You can toss in Cole Irvin for me.  He's been far better than expected with an ERA+ better than 97 (129 in 2024) for the first time in his 6-year career.  

He fits OPACY well in the long term although his splits are not much different so far on an adjusted basis and gives the Orioles a more balanced L/R rotation.  In addition, he's pitched as needed as a starter/reliever.  He gets the O'Hearn Award for the most improved Oriole of 2024.

I was gonna say Irvin, so thanks. That trade looked like a miss, but kudos to Irvin for finding himself again and trusting what he can bring to the table. 

Elias and Hyde at the top of the list. They may make an occasional head scratcher move but they are smarter than any of us and doing a tremendous job. 

I think O'Hearn is generally well regarded so I would go with Urias and Mateo due to how much maligned they have been.

I think Webb has been a bit underrated. I was personally ready to move on from him this off season but he has been good and pretty important.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pdiddy said:

He talked about a fix to his swing that the Orioles staff noticed and fixed. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Elias and Hyde at the top of the list. They may make an occasional head scratcher move but they are smarter than any of us and doing a tremendous job. 

I think O'Hearn is generally well regarded so I would go with Urias and Mateo due to how much maligned they have been.

I think Webb has been a bit underrated. I was personally ready to move on from him this off season but he has been good and pretty important.

Yes, Webb is a great choice.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think we see Urias' time come to an end when these young infielders come up. When Holliday and both Norby is here, if Urias is gone, who backs up 3B?

I'll have some Mayo with that, please! ;)

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think we see Urias' time come to an end when these young infielders come up. When Holliday and both Norby is here, if Urias is gone, who backs up 3B?

Or we could trade say a Norby plus for much needed back end bullpen help?

I can’t imagine any scenario where Urias and Mateo (for that matter) have any appeal/value to a non-contending/selling type of team.

36 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Or we could trade say a Norby plus for much needed back end bullpen help?

I can’t imagine any scenario where Urias and Mateo (for that matter) have any appeal/value to a non-contending/selling type of team.

But might they have value to a contending team, maybe if they have an injury?

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

O'Hearn has benefited for the MLB changing the rules on where fielders can play.

Off topic, but it does make me wonder how Chris Davis would have fared with these rules. Obviously his decline was inevitable but it felt like the first couple years of his big contract was a lot of hitting into the shift.