How far do you go to try to save this?

vab

7 hours ago, O's84 said:

So in the last year we have:

Our ace closer, #1 starter, #3 starter, high leverage reliever, all out with TJ's.  Now our best remaining reliever might not pitch again this year.  Unreal.

Pitching injuries are happening to a crazy degree all over the sport. We still have our #1 starter who is the best starter that we have had in decades and a very talented #2/3. All is not lost.

• Upvote 1

Would a package including Kjerstad and Norby (possibly Stowers too) be able to get us Sonny Gray and Helsley?

STL has to at some point come to a conclusion that they don't have enough to legit compete for a World Series this year or the next few projectable years. This would give them an infusion of young talent and get Gray off of their books. That's 3 young controllable starting position players for their #1 and closer.

I'm not sure what the value proposition is there. But this is the kind of trade that I would be looking to make and I think it helps both ball clubs.

• Upvote 1

Something to keep in mind in the offseason is that the starting pitcher FA market doesn’t look that great in terms of pitchers we would sign or even want to sign.

On top of that, you have several guys who only become FA if they opt out and if they opt out, it’s likely because they didn’t have a great season.

Combine that with the idea that our only 2 internal rotation candidates are Povich and McDermott, both of whom have exhibited a lot of issues with command and control and it certainly is a shaky long term outlook for the rotation.

Position player wise, we will (in theory) lose Santander and McCann.

Hays and Mullins are likely gone.

Not going to have both Mateo and Urias but certainly could bring back one.

As of now, OHearn definitely has his option picked up.

If it were up to me, Mounty would be traded. 2 years left of control, likely to be coming off a very solid season and we have players behind him. He could help fetch us some pitching.

My expectation is at least 2 of Mounty, OHearn and Santander will be back.

How so many of these guys and our prospects end the year will determine how we attack the offseason.

But for the deadline, I think obtaining a starter that can be here long term is something the team should look at.  

You have several options in Miami and potentially a guy like Detmers. 

A Detmers/Estevez package is something I would be looking into.  Same thing with Nardi and one of the Marlins starters, like a Braxton Garrett for example.

For me, the key here is that you need to upgrade the pen. I think if you make the pen really good and you have Burnes and GRod, that may be enough. 

I’m not trading our top 3 prospects. I think all play big roles in 2025, although Basallo may not play a role until the season is well underway,

But I would trade Kjerstad and anyone else while hoping to keep certain guys although they wouldn’t be deal breakers.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m sure Braves Hangout is incensed that they haven’t. I don’t get the overreaction to Bradish. I didn’t get it last week when he first appeared injured either. We all said we’re not getting anything out of him this year before the season started. As for Means and Wells, the only thing we lost that I had counted on was a solid bullpen arm. It’s a good team all around. If you can shore up the back end of the bullpen without giving up anyone that is expected to contribute to the MLB team in the next year, do it. Otherwise, don’t double down because you already paid Burnes. 

OP is asking about next year as well as this one. I think the point is we can get a guy who will help us now and next year. We did expect to lose Bradish but not him and Means and Wells all at the same time. Right now we would be going into next year with Grayson as our only dependable guy. Won't be much margin for error without another Burnes type. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We did expect to lose Bradish but not him and Means and Wells all at the same time. 

I don’t think this is totally accurate. 

Means was looked at as a guy who no one could count on for this year, I don’t think anyone expected him to be able to finish the season. 

Sort of the same scenario with Bradish, I think everyone thought this outcome was inevitable. They tried the treatment and that delayed it but no one should be surprised about this. 

Wells is Mr. Glass.

The fact that they all went down in the first half of the season is inconvenient but shouldn’t be totally surprising.  All of these guys had issues headed into the season.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t think this is totally accurate. 

Means was looked at as a guy who no one could count on for this year, I don’t think anyone expected him to be able to finish the season. 

Sort of the same scenario with Bradish, I think everyone thought this outcome was inevitable. They tried the treatment and that delayed it but no one should be surprised about this. 

Wells is Mr. Glass.

The fact that they all went down in the first half of the season is inconvenient but shouldn’t be totally surprising.  All of these guys had issues headed into the season.

Yea I agree. If I were betting on things, my bet would have been none of those guys start the year in the rotation in 2025…and maybe never pitch in an Os uniform in 2025(or ever again w/r/t Means and Wells).  Not surprise at all for me here.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I agree. If I were betting on things, my bet would have been none of those guys start the year in the rotation in 2025…and maybe never pitch in an Os uniform in 2025(or ever again w/r/t Means and Wells).  Not surprise at all for me here.

Yep. Bradish comes back in ‘26 but I don’t believe we’ll see the other two again. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep. Bradish comes back in ‘26 but I don’t believe we’ll see the other two again. 

You are an informed person...so, I am asking these questions for clarification. I assume, that all three must remain on the 40 man roster despite being injured or could be picked up, correct?? And, how do there '25 contract negotiations go if they aren't likely to play (I don't care about the $$$, how does it work?)

2 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

You are an informed person...so, I am asking these questions for clarification. I assume, that all three must remain on the 40 man roster despite being injured or could be picked up, correct?? And, how do there '25 contract negotiations go if they aren't likely to play (I don't care about the $$$, how does it work?)

They can be put on the 60-day IL. That gets them off the 40-man.

If we enter the offseason with Grayson (let’s hope his arm and shoulder hold up), Detmers/Garrett, Kremer, Irvin, McDermott and Povich as options for next year, that isn’t awful. It may not be a playoff rotation but Bradish could be back in August/Sept of next year (DeGrom had the same surgery Bradish did last year and he is currently throwing off the mound). I’m not counting on that, just saying it’s possible.

Obviously you need develop from guys but that’s the case every year for every team in every sport. 

Plus you have FA and the trade market to add another guy.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I really can't see him finishing this season in a starter role. He is now at 115 innings in AAA and is showing no improvement in BB rate.

That’s because you have this odd belief that young players don’t get better. 

As always in baseball, pitching defines the team.  Obviously, what we have now will not get the O’s to the WS.  Offensively our guys can only cover for so long.  

Second base must be fixed.  Gunnar must have a compadre he can synch with, otherwise he will continue to try to compensate and we will see more of the comical errors and frustration will mount.