Sunday 6/23 vs. Houston

elextrano8

1 minute ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

What a disaster of a weekend. It’s gonna get real dicey unless we make a trade soon. We have no one after Burnes and Grod. When we lose both of their starts back to back it’s not gonna be a good week.

I honestly have no clue what Elias was thinking going way back to when he first knew Means and  Bradish had elbow issues. Burnes has been great but he didn't do nearly enough. 

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Our rotation could benefit from having a guy like Framber Valdez. Especially with all the injuries that has happened.

All of the international guys Houston has made good on the past 8 years prompted me to kinda become an annoyance at every appearance I would see Mike Elias, starting back in, I think, fall 2018 at a little birdland member gathering. I'd hammer on him getting a presence in the DR, Venezuela, etc. every time I had the chance to say something to him. Of course I'm just one weird fan, and of course he knew they needed that bigtime. But it seemed to be a big hole in everything we were trying to do to rebuild, so I just kept at it. 

Houston did an amazing job there for a few years, scoring on young intl players. 

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

I honestly have no clue what Elias was thinking going way back to when he first knew Means and  Bradish had elbow issues. Burnes has been great but he didn't do nearly enough. 

It’s going to probably require an “overpay” at this point. But this is a team built to win and you cannot keep punting until next year. As long as we don’t tank the next few weeks I’m really more interested in who they get. That probably will decide if we have a legit chance or not to go deep,

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

There was no place for Ortiz on this team. They wanted an Ace and got one for a guy who wasn't going to find time on the ML team and an oft-hurt reliever. He didn't have to touch a marquee prospect to get Burnes.

I think it is obvious that Ortiz IS a marquee prospect, and Mike considered him so. Westburg is clearly better, but Ortiz could probably start for anybody else, except maybe Texas or LA.

But again that indicates that it will take a marquee prospect and more to get anyone who will meaningfully fill one of our needs.

3 minutes ago, justD said:

All of the international guys Houston has made good on the past 8 years prompted me to kinda become an annoyance at every appearance I would see Mike Elias, starting back in, I think, fall 2018 at a little birdland member gathering. I'd hammer on him getting a presence in the DR, Venezuela, etc. every time I had the chance to say something to him. Of course I'm just one weird fan, and of course he knew they needed that bigtime. But it seemed to be a big hole in everything we were trying to do to rebuild, so I just kept at it. 

Houston did an amazing job there for a few years, scoring on young intl players. 

Nice. I like how Mike makes himself accessible to fans and is so considerate. You were probably telling him what was on his mind. The new faculty in DR looks great, and Samuel Basallo was a really great signing. I wonder how fast others might develop from the recent classes too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philip said:

I am saying that Mike knew enough that he should’ve moved earlier, but chose not to.

Malike suggested that Mike’s hands were tied, and to an extent that might be true, but he was allowed to make the Burnes trade, and Angelos has been out of the picture since the beginning of the season anyway.

Even at the beginning of the season, we didn’t have eight starters that we could rely on.

Burnes, GRod, Kremer,Irwin, Suarez? And Suarez a complete gamble? That’s four plus one.

You agree that it was unwise to depend on Bradish, but Means and Wells were already suspect, and Wells especially has been on and off the IL since his first TJ.

-Means was slow played a month. Already had his surgery. 

-Wells I don’t think you could assume he makes it thru the year as a SP. That said not like he wasn’t healthy enough to pitch 

-rotation out of gate was Burnes, Grod, Wells, Kremer and Irvin. So he had Means, Povich and Suarez in the hole and some hope with Bradish. That’s 8 guys not including Bradish. 

-going into today club is 2nd in AL in SP ERA.  

- he knows it’s a long year and other issues can crop up at any time. 

6 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Imagine a playoff game against a LHP where Mateo, Urias, Hays, and Cowser/Mullins are all in the lineup. They need another RH bat. 

I actually thought it odd that we had so many RH hitters in the starting lineup...?

lineuptoday.png.54d3c7041bee48fcbd12f42f429c879e.png

Edit: Or were you bemoaning the quality of those RH hitters in a playoff lineup? Sorry if I misunderstood

Edited by justD

7 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Imagine a playoff game against a LHP where Mateo, Urias, Hays, and Cowser/Mullins are all in the lineup. They need another RH bat. 

They are trying to add a RH OF plus you have Mayo. I have no issue with Hays and Mateo playing.