Basallo for Crochet?

caljr

I would trade Basallo for Crochet.  With all the hitting the O's have, Basallo is a luxury.  If he was MLB ready, where would he play?  I question whether he is ready to handle backup catcher.  Crochet is almost certainly one of the top 5 arm talents in the majors.  He is controlled for 2025 and 2026 also, so 3 playoff runs.  He makes the O's rotation one of the best even w/o Bradish and fills a major hole for next year. 

Please list the elite arms that Elias has drafted because as we know, pitching is required to win Championships, not just hitting. 

15 hours ago, caljr said:

With Basallo getting pulled from today's Baysox game, I started thinking, maybe he isn't completely untouchable. I know there is a lot of talk about the White Sox making Crochet available. So, my question for the board, would you do this trade straight up? For me, it's a little risky to give up Basallo for Crochet due to his lack of innings throughout the course of his career, but I could see the Os doing it with the big need for a starter to go in the top of the rotation with Means and Bradish gone. It also gives us a top of rotation option next year with the likelihood that we lose Burnes in free agency. 

I actually think that bid wouldn't be successful. With the amount of pitcher injuries there will be a lot of shoppers and Crochet is one of the best emerging pitchers. Check out the k/9 standings. Crochet is #1 and Glasnow is #2.

5 hours ago, Birds08 said:

Do we know why Basallo was pulled yesterday?????

Probably giving him a break after 3 ABs in a 5 run loss? He had a minor ankle injury recently and missed some time. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Ok. It doesn't mean he's going to be better than them. 

It doesn’t mean he’s not.

you said he’s not them.  Based off of the evidence we have with him and those guys at the same age, he’s better.

Now, will he develop the same way?  Who knows but dismissing it is pretty foolish imo

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like Basallo, but he's definitely not untouchable. He's not Adley, he's not Gunnar. 

I'd aim higher than Crochet if Basallo is in the mix. 

Yes - if we trade him, or either of our other top 3, it would need to be to bring a new partner to the table. I don't think there is anyone on any of the turd teams that bring these guys into the discussion.

Edited by DirtyBird

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It doesn’t mean he’s not.

you said he’s not them.  Based off of the evidence we have with him and those guys at the same age, he’s better.

Now, will he develop the same way?  Who knows but dismissing it is pretty foolish imo

Not really dismissing it, but his position holds him back a bit. It's why Elias might be more willing to trade Basallo or Mayo than Holliday.

I think if he really is on the block (and who knows), it's got to be for prying someone legit away who we didn't think would be on the market. A true blockbuster. Not a simple rental from a seller team.