Why not Chayce McDermott?

sportsfan8703

101 K in 70 IP in AAA. He’s 2nd in all of milb in K. We pound the table for our hitting prospects like Kjerstad and Norby, why not McDermott?  

We can back off Suarez and put him in the pen. Heck, we could go back to Suarez in a few weeks if we need to, but this would be a load management move. Suarez threw some innings in winter ball too. It looks like that is adding up. 

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

101 K in 70 IP in AAA. He’s 2nd in all of milb in K. We pound the table for our hitting prospects like Kjerstad and Norby, why not McDermott?  

We can back off Suarez and put him in the pen. Heck, we could go back to Suarez in a few weeks if we need to, but this would be a load management move. Suarez threw some innings in winter ball too. It looks like that is adding up. 

You cannot bring up McDermott (25 years old) and discuss his one great quality and act like you have no idea why he hasn't been recalled.  One look at his numbers shows you plenty.

He has thrown 70.1 IP, making 14 starts. That's 5 IP/start.  3.84 ERA, 1.464 WHIP, 5.5 BB/9, 12.9 K/9.  He has issues walking too many batters.  So, while he strikes out batters at a great rate, he also walks far too many, raising his AAA WHIP to 1.464.  That does not project well to the majors.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He might be able to help in the bullpen.

Yea but I don’t think you do that yet. Right now, I would pencil him into the rotation for 2025, so I want him to continue to build up innings and learn.

That said, the last 6-8 weeks of the season?  Yea he may be in the pen at that point.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but I don’t think you do that yet. Right now, I would pencil him into the rotation for 2025, so I want him to continue to build up innings and learn.

That said, the last 6-8 weeks of the season?  Yea he may be in the pen at that point.

Grayson, Kremer, Irvin, Povich, McDermott.   YES!!!

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed, that trajectory makes a ton of sense.